Preview Round 5, 2021: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Thursday 15th April, 7:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH* *CARLISLE 150TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Tigers

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oU1jDVw.png

Quick turnaround so getting this up now.

Maddies match of course, you can find all the info for that here;

Huge test against the reigning premiers but if we can bring the same intensity as yesterday we will at least be in with a shot.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good thing is Tigers had an equally tough match against port where they were pushed to their limits. They do have the extra rest time though. I’d make no changes at this point. Paddy can build his fitness. Things change from week to week so a space will eventually open up.

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great win Saints! Why? Through belief, effort & structure. Special mention to Dmac, thought it was his best game for us. Hope he continues in that vain, because he can be the wingman that we need. His outside run & hunt for the ball was a valuable asset. And Marshall's return & Carlisle's effort were much needed. Bytel is a beast. So I think their will be no change to the team this game. Although, The Coff, seems a little off. But no-one at this stage to come in for him. Only Ryder would if he was fit enough??? Votes Round 4, 3.Crouch, 2.Jones, 1 King. Special mention's to Carlisle & Dmac & to Ratts for believing in them. If anyone's going to turn a bloke around, it's Ratts!

Last edited:

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
No Change unless Ryder is available which I assume he is not for another week or two.
Coffield for Highmore still very tempting but will back the boys in that turned it around on the weekend.
The temptation would be to give Nick a break with his lack of confidence but I’m not sure Highmore gives us much of a point of difference. Similar to Wilkie.
Given the win you’d probably spend a bit of time working on his role and getting him to fulfill a team need.
I could see him coming out for Paddy, if he is ready but that’s unlikely.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
RoMA looked to be on heavily managed minutes and building match fitness even prior to the ankle thing, just hope he gets up because jeez he changes the whole look of the team.

Dunstan for Bytel if the head knock doesn't let him play. Maybe a bit of a weird one, but he's most like for like imo (position / role wise, not talent) and whatever we did this week actually worked. Just get him in the guts to crash and bash and tackle anything that moves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Ryder comes in, i think i'd move Jake back, Battle forward and drop Lonie
Too tall. Richmond defenders will have a field day.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember Lynch monstering Dougall last time we played. Lynch kicked 2 goals 5, but it could have easily been the other way around.

So we may need Carlisle to play on Lynch if Dougall has a bad day.

I note that we play on Thursday, but the game after that is on the Sunday week. So plenty of time for Ryder to recuperate, and so I would tempted to bring him in for his quality tapwork. Certainly, Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Jones etc would not object.

So if Ryder comes in then who out. Coffield and Wilkie could be both candidates.

Wilkie however I remember doing well on Dusty when he pushes forward and so I think Wilkie is required. So it might be Coffied.

The other option might be to play one less small and in that case I would drop Lonie.

However I suspect our selectors will not make a change.

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
RoMA looked to be on heavily managed minutes and building match fitness even prior to the ankle thing, just hope he gets up because jeez he changes the whole look of the team.

Dunstan for Bytel if the head knock doesn't let him play. Maybe a bit of a weird one, but he's most like for like imo (position / role wise, not talent) and whatever we did this week actually worked. Just get him in the guts to crash and bash and tackle anything that moves.
The fact that Bytel kept playing, should see him right to go.

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember Lynch monstering Dougall last time we played. Lynch kicked 2 goals 5, but it could have easily been the other way around.

So we may need Carlisle to play on Lynch if Dougall has a bad day.

I note that we play on Thursday, but the game after that is on the Sunday week. So plenty of time for Ryder to recuperate, and so I would tempted to bring him in for his quality tapwork. Certainly, Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Jones etc would not object.

So if Ryder comes in then who out. Coffield and Wilkie could be both candidates.

Wilkie however I remember doing well on Dusty when he pushes forward and so I think Wilkie is required. So it might be Coffied.

The other option might be to play one less small and in that case I would drop Lonie.

However I suspect our selectors will not make a change.
Dougs probably the only one that can run with Lynch & match his size. Battle on Riewoldt is a good match up. Carlisle & Marshall share the ruck again with Carlisle going back & Marshall forward. No Change! Ryder back for Round 6.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Too tall. Richmond defenders will have a field day.

My thinking is Jake has to play. I'm not ready to drop Wilkie or Coffield yet. Still undecided where Battle's best position is. I'd run him as a forward. He's pretty agile and i think with butler and higgins we're mobile enough.

If we can make this work going forward it'll serve us well i think. If we have one of our ruckman go down Carlisle is there.... not to mention he's a bloody good key defender.

I could be wrong but that's where my head is at.

Agreed. The guts of the kid. Absolutely amazing.

Similar to Clark his first year when he was cleaned up by Ziebell from North (I think) when he just bounced up and continued, playing an excellent game afterwards.

Also similar to Lenny when he was cleaned up first time by Archer?? as a youngster.

Good examples to follow.

Last edited:

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Similar to Clark his first year when he was cleaned up by Ziebell from North (I think) when he just bounced up and continued, playing an excellent game afterwards.

Also similar to Lenny when he was cleaned up first time by Archer?? as a youngster.

Good examples to follow.
Was thinking of Lenny and archer. Missed Clark and Ziebull though.
Good to see. Kid looks really tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back