Preview Round 5 2021 - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 4.35 pm @ SCG, Sat 17 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
This Saturday's match will be the 20th derby between the two teams, with the Swans holding a 12-7 lead in games won. Given the current standing of the two teams the betting will surely be on the Swans to extend that margin. Swans have been a surprise packet this year, bolting out of the blocks to win their first 4 rounds and be third on the ladder (purely on percentage) - something quite unexpected given their 2020 results. They have won victories against 2020 premiers Richmond and finalists Brisbane to underline that there is nothing flukey about their results. It has been (for them) a delicious mixture of old and new, as their younger players - McInerney, Warner, Wicks, Blakey plus brand new draftees Errol Gulden, Braeden Campbell and Logan McDonald - with their fresh attitudes and fit legs have powered their run under the new rules, neatly complimenting the craft and graft of their old stagers in Parker, Kennedy, Rampe and Buddy Franklin.

In contrast, GWS has had a sputtering start to the season, with poor form of players going hand-in-hand with pre-season and in-game injuries. Missing or losing Hogan, Riccardi, Finlayson, Lloyd, Preuss, Coniglio, de Boer, Perryman, Kennedy, Whitfield, Davis has carved a massive hole in the side - on top of last season's club departures of Cameron, Williams, Corr, Caldwell and Hately. The round 4 duck-breaker against Collingwood at the MCG was not perfect, with lots of early fumbles and missed targets, but was built on a better balanced side with Finlayson another tall target up front to compliment Toby Greene's goal-kicking heroics, our midfield bringing some heat with Ward, Taranto and Mummy all dismantling the Pies' midfield, and some enthusiasm and speed from Bobby Hill, Xavier O'Halloran, Isaac Cumming and Lachie 'Dash' Ash. The backline was solid again, with Lachie Keefe and Sam Taylor being very solid, while Nick Haynes played better this week. Indeed, were it not for Matt Buntine and the umpires, we could have restricted Collingwood's score even more.

The key to Sydney winning this game will be if they can continue their outstanding exploitation of the new rules to create lots of run and opportunities to roll forward. Their youngsters have been fearless and outstanding in their execution of the new rules, and if GWS allows them to continue that pattern, they will win in a canter. Buddy has looked good in his games played thus far, and with a 9-day rest will not be in danger of being rested. However, the Swans have benefited from a host of midfielders drifting forward to kick goals for them. The downside for Swans will be the loss of Isaac Heeney, who has been in good form forward. The key to GWS winning will be getting our run going as we did against Collingwood. Lachie Ash, in the last two games, has demonstrated exactly why we paid highly to move up and grab him. If he can reprise his attack from D50 it will be important. Cumming, Keeffe and Haynes are also important in being able to spark attacking raids, along with Himmelberg, Greene and Kelly playing that ''connector'' role in the middle of the ground. And if our midfield can reprise its attack on the ball to prevent Swans getting first hands to it, and reduce the number of turnovers to the opposition, GWS will have a chance to upset the high-flying Swans. Our own youngsters are starting to find their place, and if that continues they can win. But if they get gun-shy, then we'll see Swans waltz away with the game.

In respect of changes for GWS, I would hope that we don't play Mummy in ruck this week. While he was excellent against Grundy, I just don't believe that he can reprise that against the fleeter Sydney midfield and Tom Hickey (who's been great so far for Sydney). He will also be banged up a bit after his game, and so we should bring back Flynn who was solid enough against Swans pre-season and in his first 3 games. Finlayson was fine as backup ruck against the Pies and can surely do that again against Swans. I also hope that we replace Matt Buntine. While we love Bunts as an original Giant, for me, the last two weeks showed he's just not up to first grade standard and a number of goals came directly from him - either poor game awareness (rules or best option) or poor execution skills. I doubt that either Whitfield or Perryman will be back from their injury/illness so I do expect that we'll bring back Sam Reid. Hopefully he can successfully blanket Tom Papley who is very dangerous in the Swans' attack. After the win, I doubt we'll see any other changes, and to be sure, there's not too many players able to come in! Conor Stone was relatively quiet in his first game - some glimpses of skill and vision along side from nerves. Jesse Hogan has gotten through his first ''game'' in the friendly against the Swans, but probably needs another competitive hitout. Jake Riccardi didn't get great results, but he did help to make our forward line be more formidable and must be retained. Nick Shipley and Tanner Bruhn are really the only other options who could come in, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling case for either at this point.

Could we see Whitfield and hogan return for this one? Gawd that would be good!
I think they will take a no risk approach with Whitfield (unless he is 100%) and bring him back into the team Rd.6 against the Dogs

FB - Nick Haynes, Lachlan Keeffe, Sam Reid

HB - Isaac Cumming, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun

C - Josh Kelly, Xavier O'Halloran, Lachie Ash

HF - Tim Taranto, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene

FF - Bobby Hill, Harry Himmelberg, Brent Daniels

FOL - Matt Flynn, Jacob Hopper, Callan Ward

IC - Tom Green, , Jake Riccardi, Jack Buckley, Jeremy Finlayson
Med Sub : Connor Stone

Finlayson will rotate with Flynn and Forwards

In : Reid
In : Flynn
In : Hogan

Out : Buntine
Out : Mumford (Managed)
Out : Nick Shipley (Play Rd.1 VFL on Saturday)

Stone to play following week in VFL

Here's an idea for the marketing department.

The Swans have a player called Errol, and we've got one called Flynn, so let's get them to do some media together in the build-up to the game on Saturday.

It would get much more attention than "Battle of the Bridge".

Here's an idea for the marketing department.

The Swans have a player called Errol, and we've got one called Flynn, so let's get them to do some media together in the build-up to the game on Saturday.

It would get much more attention than "Battle of the Bridge".

lol. Great idea!

Pardon the intrusion. Wanted to mention how impressive Stone and Hill were v the Pies.

I think this will be close. The SCG oddly enough suits your strong mids more than our team. We had to go to Plan B v the Dons and expect the Giants brains trust will have learned the lesson.

I think we might be getting the Swans at a good time.
Young sides often start really well and start to wane a little and have some down spots throughout. I think after being up for a few weeks and a bit of a tough one last week that this may be a week they are bit off.
Maybe wishful thinking.
Ill just take a carbon copy of the the pre-season clash and take the points please :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haynes Keeffe Cumming
Ash Taylor Reid
Kelly Ward XOH
Greene HH Daniels
Taranto Riccardi Hill
Flynn Green Hopper

Idun Buckley Stone Finlayson

Sub: Shipley

Possibly back following week or two:
Whitfield, Perryman.

I reckon Angevin will get a game in the next few weeks.

The Swans are sounding ridiculously overconfident at 4&0.

And on cue, Rampe just ruled out.

The opportunity for a smash and grab is there for the taking.

This is the right test for us at the right time.

Hogan should be thrown into the mix just to cause the Swans even more uncertainty and problems in their backline.

Would be great to have him with a game under his belt before we face the Dogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haynes Keeffe Cumming
Ash Taylor Reid
Kelly Ward XOH
Greene HH Daniels
Taranto Riccardi Hill
Flynn Green Hopper

Idun Buckley Stone Finlayson

Sub: Shipley

Possibly back following week or two:
Whitfield, Perryman.

I reckon Angevin will get a game in the next few weeks.
Has Angwin been training as a defender or medium sized forward?

Between Ash and Cumming down back, and also Perryman and Whitfield returning in the coming weeks, just don't see where he fits.

Has Angwin been training as a defender or medium sized forward?

Between Ash and Cumming down back, and also Perryman and Whitfield returning in the coming weeks, just don't see where he fits.
Angwin is a classic outside player who is a great runner.
Wing only I'd think.

Could it be our kit for the Derby???

It's now up on our shop for pre-order and interestingly enough here's the description: Featuring sleek design with prominent 'G' branding in our electric orange on a charcoal base, this guernsey is the exact replica of what the players wear on field during the Sydney Derby matches in 2021.

Edit: Oh, looks like it's confirmed. We're wearing it this weekend.

It's now up on our shop for pre-order and interestingly enough here's the description: Featuring sleek design with prominent 'G' branding in our electric orange on a charcoal base, this guernsey is the exact replica of what the players wear on field during the Sydney Derby matches in 2021.

It's pretty striking, isn't it? The sort of thing you wear to make a statement.

Let's hope the players are suitably inspired.

this kit is fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back