Women's Footy Round 5, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First of our games I've watched in its entirety this season.

Dominant performance throughout. Could have been a blowout after 3/4 time but credit to Collingwood for hanging tough against the wind in the last quarter.

Emily Bates is a wonder and Farquharson is something really special as is Bodey.

Our forwards are scary good, not only for their potency in attack but also their absolute commitment to their defensive work.

Losing Lutkins for the season was a blow but the defensive half somehow still looks as solid as a rock.

So much to like about this team.

Go Lions!

Last edited:

For some reason it won’t let me vote in the pole.
It just keeps coming up “whoops we’ve run into a problem.”

Edit: I’ve just worked out it will only let me vote for 4 players.
Yup, my bad. I've updated it now.

Have they really fixtured next week's match at Maroochydore? It's a Saints home game, isn't it?

It’s a Saints home game it says venue yet to be confirmed in this article.

What's next?
Brisbane will try and make it four wins in succession on Friday night when it travels to play St Kilda at 7.10pm AEDT at a venue yet to be confirmed

It’s a Saints home game it says venue yet to be confirmed in this article.

What's next?
Brisbane will try and make it four wins in succession on Friday night when it travels to play St Kilda at 7.10pm AEDT at a venue yet to be confirmed

Arnell said it was in Queensland Bodey looked seriously confused

Those conditions at Fisherman’s Rd were really tough. The execution understandably dropped off as a result.

We could have used the eastern side of the field a little more through the midfield and then kicked directly with the wind into our forward 50, a pretty common and successful strategy when the wind gets up on that ground. I think we have far better runners than Collingwood to take advantage of that.

As the game wore on we did start to open up that side of the field more. Collingwood mostly kept trying to get the ball out of their defence kicking to the western side, such a tough ask in that wind. You end up getting stuck over there and it is easy for the opposition to get numbers into a smaller area, which we did.

Monahan impressed me more each time I see her. And Grider is really stepping up in defence with our injuries. Zimmi still has a lot of development to go but she looks more and more like a star.

Good win in tough conditions. I think we would have accounted for them comfortably in calm weather just as well.

The wind at the ground was just insane, so I was surprised to see us with less behinds than last week. Much more impressed with the win too.

Those conditions at Fisherman’s Rd were really tough. The execution understandably dropped off as a result.

We could have used the eastern side of the field a little more through the midfield and then kicked directly with the wind into our forward 50, a pretty common and successful strategy when the wind gets up on that ground. I think we have far better runners than Collingwood to take advantage of that.

As the game wore on we did start to open up that side of the field more. Collingwood mostly kept trying to get the ball out of their defence kicking to the western side, such a tough ask in that wind. You end up getting stuck over there and it is easy for the opposition to get numbers into a smaller area, which we did.

Monahan impressed me more each time I see her. And Grider is really stepping up in defence with our injuries. Zimmi still has a lot of development to go but she looks more and more like a star.

Good win in tough conditions. I think we would have accounted for them comfortably in calm weather just as well.
There’s no guarantee that we would have won Collingwood really should have had at least 3 goals in that first quarter the weather really helped Us we played it a lot better than Collingwood did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was glad when Sabrina got poached off us in the first round of expansions. Her first season she was just outbodying the other girls. Since that season everyone else has lifted their running and repeat efforts (including Perkins at the Suns) whereas Sabrina has remained stationery. She offers that 2-3 contest burst every quarter before going missing. Compare that to Davidson and Wardlaw (and even Smith to an extent). They get up and down the ground. They jump at the initial contest and then are prepared to pick up a ground ball and shoot out a handball. AFLW backs have improved their strength so just standing one out isnt going to cut the mustard anymore. Im just surprised the Pies picked her up. Im guessing they had hubris and thought they could turn her fitness around despite 2 clubs failing to develop her.

I was also glad when the Saints took McCarthy off us as well. Her main asset was speed which is useful when all the girls in the first 2 seasons had similar levels of AFL skills. Since then the level of skills has improved but McCarthy's disposal and goal kicking remained the same. She's also too tiny to effectively tackle. Compare her to Hodder now. Such a huge upgrade. Im hoping Ruby Svarc can lift her strength and disposals otherwise she might just be a younger McCarthy.

lionraven Agree about Sabrina and MaCarthy. Sabrina is like the old fashioned full forward and is very limited unfortunately. On McCarthy, we had enough players that struggle to kick the ball 20 metres.
I wish Kaitlyn Ashmore was still playing for us, also perhaps Tahlia Randall.

I was glad when Sabrina got poached off us in the first round of expansions. Her first season she was just outbodying the other girls. Since that season everyone else has lifted their running and repeat efforts (including Perkins at the Suns) whereas Sabrina has remained stationery. She offers that 2-3 contest burst every quarter before going missing. Compare that to Davidson and Wardlaw (and even Smith to an extent). They get up and down the ground. They jump at the initial contest and then are prepared to pick up a ground ball and shoot out a handball. AFLW backs have improved their strength so just standing one out isnt going to cut the mustard anymore. Im just surprised the Pies picked her up. Im guessing they had hubris and thought they could turn her fitness around despite 2 clubs failing to develop her.

I was also glad when the Saints took McCarthy off us as well. Her main asset was speed which is useful when all the girls in the first 2 seasons had similar levels of AFL skills. Since then the level of skills has improved but McCarthy's disposal and goal kicking remained the same. She's also too tiny to effectively tackle. Compare her to Hodder now. Such a huge upgrade. Im hoping Ruby Svarc can lift her strength and disposals otherwise she might just be a younger McCarthy.

I was upset when we lost KMac. I knew she wasn't a superstar player but I liked the "character " element she brought to the team (The interviews of the other players). Didn't like losing Nat Exon either, who was developing into quite a decent player. Since she's gone to the saints she's become invisible. Would love to know why she left us because I think she would have become a backbone of our structure. As for Sabs, I always thought her footy ability was limited. I just didn't like the thought of one of our players playing for anyone else.

lionraven Agree about Sabrina and MaCarthy. Sabrina is like the old fashioned full forward and is very limited unfortunately. On McCarthy, we had enough players that struggle to kick the ball 20 metres.
I always thought Sabs was a better ruck than she is a forward.
If she could somehow build her fitness to a level to be able to get from contest to contest then she would make a pretty decent ruck.
But we all know that fitness is not her strong suit.

I was surprised Collingwood went after her, given her lack of output the last few seasons, and I was her biggest fan at the Lions.

I think the pies thought they'd be able to develop her footballing ability since she's got the size to be a decent KPP. Unfortunately for Sabs she has no real footy ability, at least not as a forward. Agree with DaLions who said she'd make a better ruck player.

Randall hurts the most. We lost a Queenslander from SEQ to the Vics, and a founding member to boot. We have been lucky to find good defenders like Campbell, Lutkins, Koenen. Tahau is improving each match.

AFLCA votes for round 5

Brisbane v Collingwood

10 Emily Bates (BL)
7 Greta Bodey (BL)
4 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
4 Natalie Grider (BL)
2 Ruby Schleicher (COLL)
2 Catherine Svarc (BL)
1 Breanna Koenen (BL)
Bates is 4th overall and 8 off the lead but has either 1 or 2 games in hand on the top 3. She's having a cracker of a season.

Did well but didn't et enough of the ball for me. Windy conditions the last two weeks haven't helped here though.
When she gets it she makes things happen but her challenge is to try and get into the game more often.
She is very exciting though.

Back