Review Round 5, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

4-1 great start to the season.
Beat Collingwood on Holy Thursday and enter the long Easter weekend as winners- Thank you Lions! Will make enjoying the weekend and watching the footy so much more pleasurable.

There are many good points made on this thread. We are doing well to win whilst not going anywhere near 100%. It might be worth factoring in that our boys are use to winning over the last 4 season and doing enough to win isn't always a bad sign. Remember it is about banking wins to get into that top 4.

A few issues- We need Zorko fully fit for the last part of the season. He is still our second best mid and we lack his zip and defensive pressure at the centre clearance.

We don't work hard enough as a midfield defensively. This has been an issue for a number of seasons, Dev Rob is probably our best defensive runner. Bit of a reality check for the lads. I'm sure they are trying to train it.

We can put our foot down and just destroy teams in small periods of time, this is a massive positive. The selection squeeze will get interesting when Hipwood and Coleman come back. Does Daniher become our back up ruckman? Do you use the Rolls Royce to tow the caravan?
What has happened? This is the second time I've fully agreed with you in a week.

I can understand a lot of the complaining, but this one is a struggle. If we're not a the top 4, who are your top four?

Melbourne, sure. They're obviously the pace setter at the moment. The Dogs have one win - against the Swans. The Swans got severely challenged by the team we beat by 100+. Sure, the Swans beat Geelong but it was also at a real stadium, not at a small suburban ground.

The commentators were putting us in a tier with Melbourne though possibly behind them last night. I'm not quite that bullish because I feel like Melbourne's obviously on their own at the moment, but we'd definitely be in the second tier of clubs other teams don't want to face along with Geelong and the Swans. That feels like an obvious top 4 at the moment. Are you replacing us with the Saints or Fremantle or Carlton?
Obviously just my opinion. But by performance this season alone. Yes...Carlton have looked a lot better than us apart from their game last week.
I cant comment on Saints or Freo as I havent really watched alot of their games.

I mean the kid looks alright and has a lot of hussle but he didn't do too much to impress to be honest but that Daicos kid looks super legit.
The Daicos boys look good.. Pies also have 3-4 kids super super hungry and attack the ball. Top 4 tacklers Pies.
Something we miss.. So I was happy with some energy from the new player.

what rules especially would put Gardiner in trouble? it was nasty to see and undeniably stupid, but will that be a fine/weeks?

Later on in the game we saw Cox put the knee into Starc. There was definitive aiming and adjusting going on with that knee point as he zoned in on starc there, i swear :p
There was very little difference between these other than it appeared Cox was intending to hurt, he wasnt protecting himself, yet he wasnt sighted and there has been zero media carry on. If Dizzy gets suspended it is just proof of the vic bias.

Obviously just my opinion. But by performance this season alone. Yes...Carlton have looked a lot better than us apart from their game last week.
I cant comment on Saints or Freo as I havent really watched alot of their games.

Really?

Round 1: beat a depleted Richmond after they ran out of gas
Round 2: good win against the dogs
Round 3: almost lost to the Hawks after running out of gas
Round 4: beaten comprehensively by the Sun's.

Vs us:

Round 1: Beat Port in a tight contest. Clearly Ports beat performance of the year.
Round 2: Beat Essendon well and controlled the game after Q1
Round 3: 100 point win
Round 4: 10 point loss against Geelong in Geelong where they've won 89/101

We have had better wins and have a higher %.

What Darcy Gardiner did was unacceptable in any era. If they give him a month I would not be astounded. Time for Payne to get a few games in a row.

Zorko's ability to spot a player free, and deliver in 1 step is outstanding.

Ahchee for Robbo's spot on the wing and time for Robertson to get a run.

The umpires helped the pies get a lot closer than they deserved - take the win and move on.

When Hippy returns I would rather trial Dan as second ruck, rather than mess with Joe's game.

Or on the flip side - if we’d lost these games, we wouldn’t be a top 4 contender and playing the likes of Melbourne wouldn’t matter. You can only beat who is in front of you. Week 1 wasn’t the Port Adelaide that it is a month later - it was a strong win. As was the 100 point win.
The best sides don’t play at their best for 25 weeks - they often just find a way to win. While last night wasn’t great, we were honestly in control of the match after the first term and didn’t look like losing.
Richmond we’re unstoppable in 2018 and got belted by Mason Cox in a prelim. We just need to keep banking these wins and making improvements each week. 4-1 is an excellent start.
They had 3 injuries during the game to Duursma, McKenzie and Aliir. We were losing that game. I did not see this game as a strong win at all. Relieving win, yes.
Yes you can only beat who is in front of you, but being satisfied with the win is completely different.
What happened when we played a team thats actually decent? We lost.
I rate Collingwood as decent but they were missing Mihocek, Ginnivan, Elliott and McCreery.
Completely agree with you that we need to just keep banking these wins and making improvements. But thats the thing, we need to improve. Or we will not be top 4, or contending for a flag.

Really?

Vs us:

Round 1: Beat Port in a tight contest. Clearly Ports beat performance of the year.

One thing that has me completely gobsmacked is how critical people are when we're winning games.

As if we should be winning a flag , or have some entitlement to a Top 4 spot.

Nothing is guaranteed in footy and it's April . Every game is loseable.

God knows what these whingers will be like if we hit a flat spot and lose a couple.

Really?

Vs us:

Wont count last night until Carlton play their game.

Carlton have beat 10th, 11th and 14th. And that 14th team is the Bulldogs.

We have beat 16th, 17th, and 18th..

The Daicos boys look good.. Pies also have 3-4 kids super super hungry and attack the ball. Top 4 tacklers Pies.
Something we miss.
. So I was happy with some energy from the new player.
This is one of the reasons I would prefer Zorko back in his mid/fwd role, he puts great pressure on and IIRC he regularly topped our tackle count when in there.

Wont count last night until Carlton play their game.

Carlton have beat 10th, 11th and 14th. And that 14th team is the Bulldogs.

We have beat 16th, 17th, and 18th..

Well then you are going to be really disappointed in the upcoming month.

we get to play 9, 6, 15, 12, 11, 13

If Fremantle and Saints drop from top 8 then we'll get even more games against the bottom half teams.

One thing that has me completely gobsmacked is how critical people are when we're winning games.

God knows what these whingers will be like if we hit a flat spot and lose a couple.
With our list and our previous seasons performances we should be winning a flag. And we definitely should be finishing top 4. Neither of those two is a failure of a season. Im sure anyone at the club would agree.

Whinger? Im simply having a conversation with fellow supporters where our opinions obviously differ. I dont think that is a bad thing.
Ive never said, and do not believe that we are s**t, or terrible. I simply am frustrated with our performances this season so far even if we have won 4 out of 5 games.
And again, thats probably more for the reason that I know we are a lot better than this.

Last edited:
Just watched Hugh's presser after the game where he basically said that after quarter time the midfield decided that they needed to tidy up and get their hands back on the ball and win clearances... which they duly did. It sort of baffles me that this seems to be a recurring theme at the moment... get belted in the middle - decide to fix it??

BUT - and it's a big one - I'm all for the growing pains that we have in the midfield at the moment. Roles are changing almost week to week, despite what some think. It was clear that McLuggage and Bailey spent more time in the guts tonight as did Berry.

Yeah at times we looked a bit lost and bit disjointed, but that's learning on the job. Rehearsing against team mates is nothing like AFL midfields with different dynamics and bodies. For a lot of these players they are coming up against A Grade midfielders like Pendles for the first time in their new roles - s**t takes time to learn and understand. Learning your role takes time. Understanding the nuances of your opposition takes time.

We are preparing for September - hopefully this one, but if not the next one. It's been obvious for a while we needed change and this is how we get it - with growing pains.

Coaches can't be short sighted. This is the long game. And the fact we do win ugly (albeit frustratingly for us as supporters) is icing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Darcy Gardiner did was unacceptable in any era. If they give him a month I would not be astounded. Time for Payne to get a few games in a row.

Zorko's ability to spot a player free, and deliver in 1 step is outstanding.

Ahchee for Robbo's spot on the wing and time for Robertson to get a run.

The umpires helped the pies get a lot closer than they deserved - take the win and move on.

When Hippy returns I would rather trial Dan as second ruck, rather than mess with Joe's game.
Basically agree with all of this - except Gardiner. Suspect a week or 2 tops. Not head high. But Payne getting games not the worst thing.

Zorko is pretty loose on his player and needs to tighten a bit. But agree it's the pace at which he gets the ball on that makes the difference. Opposition has no time to react. Opposite to Birchall.

Robbo just cannot keep his feet any more. Becoming a bit of a liability. Been a warrior. Would be a great sub.

Ah Chee on wing would work. And agree Robertson has to get a run, which I think would work best with Berry on the wing. He's our best runner outside of Sharp. So tell him to get on his bike with defensive cover.

Coleman straight swap for Answerth.

And yes a thousand times yes on McStay to the ruck. You just cannot take Daniher out of forward 50 at the moment. Hipwood must play when fit but cannot go in ruck given build / knee. But keeping Fort would be a mistake given our lack of run at the moment already. Fort is great back-up, the sort we needed last year. But him being outside of best 22 is what he would have known.

McStay could actually be a weapon in the ruck. So mobile and such a nice kick.

I fear Fagan will go back to 2 rucks and 3 key forwards.

But surely he will not put Joe back in the ruck.

With our list and our previous seasons performances we should be winning a flag. And we definitely should be finishing top 4. Neither of those two is a failure of a season. Im sure anyone at the club would agree.

Whinger? Im simply having a conversation with fellow supporters where our opinions obviously differ. I dont think that is a bad thing.
Ive never said, and do not believe that we are s**t, or terrible. I simply am frustrated with our performances this season so far.
And again, thats probably more for the reason that I know we are a lot better than this.
I don't think I was talking about you but agree you have a perfect right to express an opinion ,be frustrated , disappointed , have expectations , whatever else you take from a game of footy by your team.

Fwiiw I think all of that is just noise . All I care about is getting ourselves into a position to play in finals and dream of a flag. None of that is a given. It is possible that we're not good enough you know.

We're playing well enough to win 4 games and lose another by a few points and I'll take that every day of the week .

Spot on, just had a look at our flag sides H&A record.

2001- Lost 5 games. Including > 53 point loss to Bulldogs in round 4. 74 point loss to the Blues in round 8.
2002- Lost 5 games. Including > 46 point loss to the Eagles in Round 5.
2003- Lost 7 games. Including > 69 point loss to the Eagles in Round 12.

And this from what a lot of pundits say is one of if not the best side in the history of the game.

Baffled by the Berry hate on here... and don't get me wrong when I'm watching a game I curse and swear at any player who seems to make "simple" mistakes...

But his run with roles have meant that his "negative" impact on the game is worth much more than his positive one if that makes sense. Sure his disposal can be iffy at times but often it's when he's breaking away from his opponent after being on their hip.

Tagging is a thankless role, but his tank and size and presence is pretty invaluable at the moment. He's not perfect but his attributes are being used pretty wisely for me.

Last edited:
I don't think I was talking about you but agree you have a perfect right to express an opinion ,be frustrated , disappointed , have expectations , whatever else you take from a game of footy by your team.

Fwiiw I think all of that is just noise . All I care about is getting ourselves into a position to play in finals and dream of a flag. None of that is a given. It is possible that we're not good enough you know.

We're playing well enough to win 4 games and lose another by a few points and I'll take that every day of the week .
Yeah I understand that and do get where you are coming from. Obviously id take the wins to get us into the position to challenge for a flag.
I am just frustrated with how we are playing at the moment, even though we have been winning.

Daicos was playing through the middle and had a higher ceiling right from draft time.
If Kai turns out to be the next Lincoln McCarthy that'll be a win for Lions.
Not going to dispute that Daicos is really good cause he looks a beauty but there aren’t a lot of players that skirt around a contest calling for a handball receive as well as him. Was pretty shocked to see he had 27 touches last night.

There was very little difference between these other than it appeared Cox was intending to hurt, he wasnt protecting himself, yet he wasnt sighted and there has been zero media carry on. If Dizzy gets suspended it is just proof of the vic bias.
I think they assume Cox is "in the contest" as he was still going through the front on marking motions. He was just as late but they see it as a football action.

Adams was in some ways more aware than Cox so turned his body. But a late bump isn't legal in a marking contest so its not a football action.

I think it'll be careless, body and medium impact. Which is a fine. I dont think it can be intentional nor high impact as he got up, took the kick and played out the game.

But personally think I would drop him for Payne anyway

Baffled by the Berry hate on here... and don't get me wrong I when I'm watching a game I curse and swear at any player who seems to make "simple" mistakes...

But his run with roles have meant that his "negative" impact on the game is worth much more than his positive one if that makes sense. Sure his disposal can be iffy at times but often it's when he's breaking away from his opponent after being on their hip.

Tagging is a thankless role, but his tank and size and presence is pretty invaluable at the moment. He's not perfect but his attributes are being used pretty wisely for me.
Agree, I haven't watched the replay yet but live at the ground I thought Jarrod was pretty good.

Spot on, just had a look at our flag sides H&A record.

2001- Lost 5 games. Including > 53 point loss to Bulldogs in round 4. 74 point loss to the Blues in round 8.
2002- Lost 5 games. Including > 46 point loss to the Eagles in Round 5.
2003- Lost 7 games. Including > 69 point loss to the Eagles in Round 12.

And this from what a lot of pundits say is one of if not the best side in the history of the game.
That's 17 losses in 66 games . That's 28 or so % . By a team that won 3 straight flags.

Not going to dispute that Daicos is really good cause he looks a beauty but there aren’t a lot of players that skirt around a contest calling for a handball receive as well as him. Was pretty shocked to see he had 27 touches last night.
27 touches off the back flank without any real impact. He'll come good but he didn't hurt us that badly.

I think people also get him confused with his brother who had a much bigger impact

I'd like to see Charlie Cameron put in the defensive effort that Kai Lohmann did last night. Doesn't even try anymore.

Back