AFLW Round 5 2022: v Gold Coast @ Casey, 7:10pm Saturday 5 Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the debacle of last week we've kindly been given an alley-oop of a fixture with the Suns coming to Casey. Given our dominance there, GC's ordinary travel record and coming off our worst performance just about of all time, I think this could get ugly in a good way.

Or we have another scrap for 3 1/2 quarters and win with a good 5 minute burst. Should be fun either way!

Guide for tickets, etc: AFLW Round 5 | Game Day Guide

MELBOURNE

B:
L.Birch 9 G.Colvin 32
HB: S.Goldrick 23 S.Lampard 8 S.Heath 30
C: C.Sherriff 18 L.Mithen 14 E.McNamara 22
HF: S.Scott 12 K.Hore 10 M.Fitzsimon 24
F: D.Pearce C 6 T.Harris 7
Foll: L.Pearce 15 K.Paxman 4 E.Zanker 29
I/C: L.Magee 26 E.West 11 M.Caris 21 J.Parry 19 A.Bannan 16

Emerg: A.Brown 28 B.Tarrant 20

In: L.Magee, M.Caris
Out: T.Hanks (HS Protocol), M.Gay (Quad)

GOLD COAST

B:
V.Saad 39 H.Dunn C 24
HB: D.D'Arcy 20 L.Ahrens 7 S.Watson 14
C: E.Keaney 30 A.Drennan 33 C.Hammond 29
HF: K.Howarth 23 K.Surman 26 C.Whitfort 4
F: T.Bohanna 12 S.Perkins 28
Foll: L.Bella 2 C.Rowbottom 8 J.Stanton 17
I/C: D.Heslop 25 S.Danckert 9 E.Hampson 1 J.Yorston 5 J.Dupuy 27

Emerg: A.Barba 21 B.Perry 16

In: V.Saad, S.Danckert, E.Hampson
Out: A.Bush (Omitted), J.Pregelj (Knee), L.Single (Omitted)

No Hanks or Gay is quite a loss, but should still have the stronger midfield. Might force some changeups to the mix there which could be beneficial in the long run.

Hopefully Goldrick gets more midfield due to no Gay or Hanks.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah she's been impressive this year, very strong. I think she started at a couple of bounces last week tagging Phillips. Letting her play a bit looser could be a good curveball move. She's a good see-ball, get-ball, boot the * out of it type that could work well coming out of the centre.

Very generous '15m' for that mark. Slog of a game, again.
I reckon when the girls practice enough long hand-balling, and realise they can do it; Then the creative thinking will follow on from the developing skills.
We will start to get more fresh possessions out into some space to work with.
We gotta get the ball into some space, when we are intent on attacking; instead of in tight and get tackled constantly.

I reckon when the girls practice enough long hand-balling, and realise they can do it; Then the creative thinking will follow on from the developing skills.
We will start to get more fresh possessions out into some space to work with.
We gotta get the ball into some space, when we are intent on attacking; instead of in tight and get tackled constantly.
Agreed. Getting that extra couple of metres is crucial.
We've settled a lot better since they got the goal. In a weird way all these ugly slogs against mediocre teams could be handy. Finals will turn into these kinds of games so we should have plenty of experience in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasted the wind , too many fumbles , missed set shots , even when we get it into space they muck the kick up . Should be an interesting last q .
They've ground it out well I think. Frustrating finishing (as usual) but they've worked through the pressure well.

That play then was nice. Pretty much kills the game.

Another game of trying to play a high skills based game where the conditions call for the opposite.

It’s a fascinating gameplan choice given Casey usually has horrific wind.

Agreed. Getting that extra couple of metres is crucial.
We've settled a lot better since they got the goal. In a weird way all these ugly slogs against mediocre teams could be handy.
We went well in the 3rd IMV because of Lauren Pearce's ruckwork in the middle and around the ground. Winning her own ball and clearing to a teammate. she got us going and we then got ball to our advantage; then we had quick entry into f50.
Finals will turn into these kinds of games so we should have plenty of experience in them.
What concerns me is the fumbling is becoming habitual.

Last edited:
Another game of trying to play a high skills based game where the conditions call for the opposite.
That play late in the last Qtr at our chb, with the ball, and kicked up the corridor was just plain wrong thinking, with the wind in our faces. Cost us a goal coming back in, and could have ended much worse.

I was calling at the TV for her to kick across to half-back-flank-wing and to keep moving it wide along the members wing... before entering the corridor.

And to my amazement, Kate Hore, minutes later in the same position, actually thought about it again, 'going up the middle'. but finally went 45* across toward the members wing, thankfully.

I am now realising that the AFLW girls, mostly, are too inexperienced in senior AFL. they just don't have the game situation nous, to carry out the smart plays at the right time.

That play late in the last Qtr at our chb, with the ball, and kicked up the corridor was just plain wrong thinking, with the wind in our faces. Cost us a goal coming back in, and could have ended much worse.

I was calling at the TV for her to kick across to half-back-flank-wing and to keep moving it wide along the members wing... before entering the corridor.

And to my amazement, Kate Hore, minutes later in the same position, actually thought about it again, 'going up the middle'. but finally went 45* across toward the members wing, thankfully.

I am now realising that the AFLW girls, mostly, are too inexperienced in senior AFL. they just don't have the game situation nous, to carry out the smart plays at the right time.
Agree.

I think Melbourne are trying to have a point of difference as bringing something new is the way AFL men’s premierships have been won.

But as you say the skills and composure, with a couple of exceptions, are just not there to pull off the game plan in unfavourable conditions, or against teams who just pressure hard.

What I also noticed was Melbourne’s team are built noticeably lighter on average when compared to Gold Coast and Adelaide. Each of those teams still had their fair share of bigger and slower (and stronger) players whereas it’s only the ruck Pearce and West - who as an aside is a very ordinary kick - who have that heavier build.

It just looks a bit like Melbourne have gone all in on a particular strategy, got the type of players to execute on it, but it’s looking like they’ve got a little bit too clever and got ahead of where the skills and depth is for the league.

I hope I’m wrong and they blitz and take out the premiership!

Kind of agree, but playing into the wind requires good skills and more importantly good decision making. Going with the wind the better skills are still handy too.
I'd agree with SugarHealey though that our handballing needs work. We tried to run and carry via handball chains a few times but they broke down due to poor skills too often. Pick that up and we'll be much better off playing in the wind tunnel grounds and against the contested slugfest teams are coming at us with.
I think Melbourne are trying to have a point of difference as bringing something new is the way AFL men’s premierships have been won.

But as you say the skills and composure, with a couple of exceptions, are just not there to pull off the game plan in unfavourable conditions, or against teams who just pressure hard.

What I also noticed was Melbourne’s team are built noticeably lighter on average when compared to Gold Coast and Adelaide. Each of those teams still had their fair share of bigger and slower (and stronger) players whereas it’s only the ruck Pearce and West - who as an aside is a very ordinary kick - who have that heavier build.

It just looks a bit like Melbourne have gone all in on a particular strategy, got the type of players to execute on it, but it’s looking like they’ve got a little bit too clever and got ahead of where the skills and depth is for the league.

I hope I’m wrong and they blitz and take out the premiership!
The girls had a great run at the end of last season with this style. Beat Adelaide at Casey easily this way, on a rainy night with clean skills, and dominated Freo for a half in Perth with the possessive, short kicking style (although fell away late and only just got the win). They won v Brisbane and Freo at Casey quite comfortably too and controlled the game well.

It can work, although you're right that we lack the bigger bodies of other sides to dominate the contest which can leave us vulnerable. If Purcell can get back this year she could be a huge addition. From what I remember of her at Geelong she's very good inside.

Last edited:

You can’t adjust your game plan that significantly just for the wind. Rain is different. The men’s team trained at Casey in that wind every day and it took them to a minor premiership, you have to just endure with Plan A until absolutely forced to do otherwise

You can’t adjust your game plan that significantly just for the wind. Rain is different. The men’s team trained at Casey in that wind every day and it took them to a minor premiership, you have to just endure with Plan A until absolutely forced to do otherwise
I always wonder if the whole “plan B“ thing is a bit of a myth. Seems designed to allow disgruntled Bigfooty posters to support their desire to sack the coach.

I mean, I reckon our mens team doesn’t have much of a plan b other than more time in the ruck for Dogga and occasionally swing Jayden Hunt forward if things look really dicey. But the basic game plan which is contested ball, grab a few marks and hope the goal kicking sorts itself out is pretty much the entire plan.

I always wonder if the whole “plan B“ thing is a bit of a myth. Seems designed to allow disgruntled Bigfooty posters to support their desire to sack the coach.

I mean, I reckon our mens team doesn’t have much of a plan b other than more time in the ruck for Dogga and occasionally swing Jayden Hunt forward if things look really dicey. But the basic game plan which is contested ball, grab a few marks and hope the goal kicking sorts itself out is pretty much the entire plan.
All teams have a basic plan B of hold onto the ball with kicks and marks for a bit if you're up against it, but outside that plan B/C/œ etc. Is a furphy.
I think Stinear could be a bit more adventurous with the magnets and put Daisy/Hore or even Goldy in the guts now and then to mix things up.

It is 100% a myth, I wanted to mention it in my post! There’s absolutely no such thing as a plan B anywhere except on BF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back