AFLW Round 5 2022: v Gold Coast @ Casey, 7:10pm Saturday 5 Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All teams have a basic plan B of hold onto the ball with kicks and marks for a bit if you're up against it, but outside that plan B/C/œ etc. Is a furphy.
I think Stinear could be a bit more adventurous with the magnets and put Daisy/Hore or even Goldy in the guts now and then to mix things up.
I’m not sure if I’d really call that an alternative plan though. When you’re playing that way you’re not trying to take the game on and win, you’re typically just trying to halt the momentum of the game until you can attack again. It’s more like the defensive/regressive component of the original game plan.

You can’t adjust your game plan that significantly just for the wind.
agree. just make better windy decisions. be a smart team.

The men’s team trained at Casey in that wind every day and it took them to a minor premiership, you have to just endure with Plan A until absolutely forced to do otherwise
If we want the side to be better skilled, then train under hardship to improve skills and thinking.

I'd agree with @SugarHealey though that our handballing needs work. We tried to run and carry via handball chains a few times but they broke down due to poor skills too often. Pick that up and we'll be much better off playing in the wind tunnel grounds and against the contested slugfest teams are coming at us with.
Training to improve our handball, I think won't help in the traditional modern method of general training.

I think I would have some special training drills, were the girls are one on one, with one the possessor, and one the tackler trying to drag her down. Strong over feet.
The possessor should be trying to keep hands and ball clear of the tackler, and try to hit a target by handball whilst being dragged down. Even handballing up/over behind her head, at times.

They should be training to handball both sides of the body in the drills. Even if one side is feeble. A hand pass away is a legitimate disposal.

And another drill, I would get the girls trying to hand pass on the move to a target 10 metres away, and to the side of the direction the possessor is facing, whilst being chased.
They should be trying to hit the handball hard with power. Hardening the hands. looking at you miss McNamara.

Make the drills difficult, so the girls can develop the skills, rather than hone what isn't really there.

Last edited:

What I also noticed was Melbourne’s team are built noticeably lighter on average when compared to Gold Coast and Adelaide. Each of those teams still had their fair share of bigger and slower (and stronger) players whereas it’s only the ruck Pearce and West - who as an aside is a very ordinary kick - who have that heavier build.
Agree.

I'd like to see us with big bodied and sized mids who can stand up in a tackle. keeping the ball and arms clear of tackler, allowing a feed out of the ball at our players discretion, according to where they are on the ground.

And yesterday again, little McNamara (I love her mojo and tenacity) keeps getting drawn close into the contest and ball.
I believe she should be outside the pack as an outlet, or to chase/rundown an opponent, if the ball comes out the wrong way for us.

Our skilled players (McNamara/ Hore/ Pacman/ etc) should be outlets, unless there isn't anyone else.

Ive been a big fan of the dees AFLW team since its inception. Im getting a little tired though of the 'mad handball to no one and let the other person figure it out' philosophy of the team under Mick Stinear. Would have thought there would be a higher level of skill and game plan by now.

Its disappointing that we go with the same starting mids every Quarter . By her standards , Paxman has been very s**t this season . Do something different you plodder . Give the other mob something to think about . I like Pearce in tandem with Harris , she is the only one with the brains to understand how to use Harris . ( 9 goals this years is pretty good from Harris ) . We are good enough to win this , are we smart enough ?

Its disappointing that we go with the same starting mids every Quarter . By her standards , Paxman has been very sh*t this season . Do something different you plodder . Give the other mob something to think about . I like Pearce in tandem with Harris , she is the only one with the brains to understand how to use Harris . ( 9 goals this years is pretty good from Harris ) . We are good enough to win this , are we smart enough ?
Agree on the mids. We lack much variation in who goes through there. Missed Hanks a lot on the weekend, she's about our smartest and cleanest with the ball atm.
Harris has been very good imo. Her second efforts have impressed with her smothers and tackles, etc. Benefited from a few joe-the-goose goals but has played her part well all season so far.

Agree on the mids. We lack much variation in who goes through there. Missed Hanks a lot on the weekend, she's about our smartest and cleanest with the ball atm.
Harris has been very good imo. Her second efforts have impressed with her smothers and tackles, etc. Benefited from a few joe-the-goose goals but has played her part well all season so far.
Yes. I never really appreciated what a naturally gifted forward she is until now. Probably due to sour grapes. I really wanted Melbourne to get her in year 1 of the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back