Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of stats, which the likes of David King like to organise certain ones and I know you highlight with Dan Rich, but why are kicks and metres gained used for guys kicking out after points. Kinda inflates numbers doesnt it - I mean they use stats to say how good Sheezel and occassionally Daicos are but when you get an extra 10+ kicks from kick outs, its not right to then say Sheezel is getting so much more ball and metres gained compared to Ashcroft who say hasn't had a single one or why Saad is AA using stats as a guide.
I w tusks rate Daicos highly. He’s a gun and I’d have him top 10 in comp. Did squib a contest though really bad when we played pies. So drops to bottom half of top top 10.

On stats I agree. It’s the easiest possession to have. Play on and kick under zero pressure. But I guess having good kicking is important. Not any spud can kick out consistently. Only the decent ones.

Second in the league for pressure acts (162, avg 32/game) to Rowell (173), with Taranto third (148). Gets more of his pressure acts in the forward half than defensive (unlikely Rowell), and is first in that category.

Neale and McCluggage are putting up similar numbers to last year at around 22-24 pressure acts/game, so Dunkley is a significant addition to our pressure around the ball (~40% increase compared to Lyons' numbers last season).

He's also 5th in ground ball gets, and top 20 in contested possessions, tackles and clearances.

On a side note watching Matt Rowell is a delight. He just refused to give up and his defensive running is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The coaches copied my votes

Brisbane v North Melbourne
10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Joe Daniher (BL)
6 Eric Hipwood (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
3 Josh Dunkley (BL)

Im with you , love Wilmot. I dont think he should be dropped unless he is rested - just pump games into him, as all the skills and attributes and will only get better with more games.

Darcy Wilmot is the love child of Pikey and Mitch Robbo. Total team man.

Last edited:
Speaking of stats, which the likes of David King like to organise certain ones and I know you highlight with Dan Rich, but why are kicks and metres gained used for guys kicking out after points. Kinda inflates numbers doesnt it - I mean they use stats to say how good Sheezel and occassionally Daicos are but when you get an extra 10+ kicks from kick outs, its not right to then say Sheezel is getting so much more ball and metres gained compared to Ashcroft who say hasn't had a single one or why Saad is AA using stats as a guide.
B8EAB092-CF5F-474F-A243-33999E800B04.gif

I didn't hear it at all as I was at the ground but just re-watched that part and I have no clue which thing Mick could have been referring to. Comben got a goal from a great LDU kick a bit later on but Harris was on his back shoulder? Weird stuff from Mick.

Do know what Mick said?

Came across this on the Bomber board not sure if it has been posted here, but anyway..

c8f71a5c-51e4-4bf3-bbf5-a02411f01b92-jpeg.1661226

Linc McCarthy played one of his best games yesterday. He was there to contest and chase after every ground ball, popped up across many lines providing support. Linc's ability to run past 2 North Players and then proceed to run down Sheezel for holding the ball was amazing.

Wonderful effort from Linc yesterday. Hope he does this more since he's far more valuable when he keeps his feet and keeps running compared to one big speccy or one big tackle effort.
Was there a bit of "headgear" syndrome going on with his long sleaves though . . . we just noticed him more this week? (meaning, has he actually been playing his role well for a while but just generally the role is not one you get noticed in . . . but the long sleaves just made him stand out a bit more this week).

I w tusks rate Daicos highly. He’s a gun and I’d have him top 10 in comp. Did squib a contest though really bad when we played pies. So drops to bottom half of top top 10.

On stats I agree. It’s the easiest possession to have. Play on and kick under zero pressure. But I guess having good kicking is important. Not any spud can kick out consistently. Only the decent ones.
Every team needs someone to kick in and its a pretty important role to at least not turn it over. But in terms of the extra 10 or so kicks a game is why you can only compare the kicks/metres gained of the half backs who do it for each team.

Comparing them to mids is only for the stupid who don't know how stats work

Was there a bit of "headgear" syndrome going on with his long sleaves though . . . we just noticed him more this week? (meaning, has he actually been playing his role well for a while but just generally the role is not one you get noticed in . . . but the long sleaves just made him stand out a bit more this week).
Nah we noticed him because he kept his feet and kept ploughing along after the ball, getting involved in contest after contest after contest. Pressure and tackle effort was top notch.

The coaches copied my votes

Brisbane v North Melbourne
10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Joe Daniher (BL)
6 Eric Hipwood (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
3 Josh Dunkley (BL)

With all due respect to the coaches, they are like the umpires and invariably allocate votes firstly to midfielders, secondly to forwards, thirdly to midfielders and fourthly to midfielders

I love Lachie but Joe should have got 10 IMO.

Also, I'm a bit surprised at no love at all for Linc from either coach.

i thought he played one of his best ever games in Lions colours.

Commitment at the contest and two way running were superb

Do know what Mick said?
A North forward had just marked and then goaled in the last quarter. In quite a disgusted tone he complained that Harris Andrews doesn’t make an effort on occasion, playing too far off his man and then looking at midfielders and other defenders as if they are at fault. He said that for the last two or three years this has been the case and the tone and tenor of the comments was that Andrews was lazy and blame shifting. That is from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Rich has been at his best we've been right up there with the best teams for scoring from kick ins and transitioning from the back half

He has been playing his role brilliantly

A North forward had just marked and then goaled in the last quarter. In quite a disgusted tone he complained that Harris Andrews doesn’t make an effort on occasion, playing too far off his man and then looking at midfielders and other defenders as if they are at fault. He said that for the last two or three years this has been the case and the tone and tenor of the comments was that Andrews was lazy and blame shifting. That is from memory.

The passage that caused him to unload is at about the 12:23 of this clip I believe.

Last edited:
Darcy Wilmot is the love child of Pikey and Mitch Robbo. Total team man.
Its great to see the winger push back hard defensively and cover any forward who sneaks behind our last line. Wilmot had to dash back hard to cover that loose forward once even against North last round.

It's unrewarding, involves thankless gut running just to put pressure but he does it by instinct. Great decision from coaching group to give him that wing spot.

With all due respect to the coaches, they are like the umpires and invariably allocate votes firstly to midfielders, secondly to forwards, thirdly to midfielders and fourthly to midfielders

None of our midfielders got votes in the Collingwood game. Very rare occurrence

I thought Lachie was best on ground. Joe was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but Lachie dominated in a midfield which set the platform for the forwards

I thought Lachie was best on ground. Joe was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but Lachie dominated in a midfield which set the platform for the forwards
Lachie played one of the most complete error free games of footy I've ever seen. Or maybe my memory's fading.

Joe was clearly 2nd best and I had Joe best against the Pies

From Fox Footy website about power rankings

4. BRISBANE LIONS (3-2, 111.7%)

Last week’s ranking:

The Lions took full advantage of the Kangaroos’ poor implementation of some bold tactics, producing a Gabba-style win, clearly because they were designated the home team for whatever reason. Credit to Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood for playing well, though admittedly the way North’s defence kept letting players out the back even we might’ve kicked a goal on Saturday. (Actually... no we wouldn’t have.) Realistically though we didn’t earn much about the Lions this weekend; clearly their ceiling is still of a top-four team and thus they reclaim a spot in the top four of our rankings.

Next game: GWS Giants at Manuka Oval, Saturday twilight

On the bolded bit, weren't North the home team per the old unsighted "coin toss" in Gil's mind, I mean office?

The passage that caused him to unload is at about the 12:23 of this clip I believe.

Harris did let the forward get in front.

In the immediate lead up, we had taken the kick in after a behind and it was a unopposed chest mark by a north player, who then kicked it back and Harris' opposition took that unopposed.

The commentator said the kick in was popped up by the wind and the kick back in would be assisted by the breeze.

Harris is one of the best readers of the ball in flight. Wonder if the two easy marks were a result of the wind affected flight of the ball.

I go to lengths to defend our players.

Harris did let the forward get in front.

In the immediate lead up, we had taken the kick in after a behind and it was a unopposed chest mark by a north player, who then kicked it back and Harris' opposition took that unopposed.

The commentator said the kick in was popped up by the wind and the kick back in would be assisted by the breeze.

Harris is one of the best readers of the ball in flight. Wonder if the two easy marks were a result of the wind affected flight of the ball.

I go to lengths to defend our players.

He was back shoulder though, just a good kick from LDU - dropped right to a spot Harris could never defend.

Lachie played one of the most complete error free games of footy I've ever seen. Or maybe my memory's fading.

I have the image of him bursting out of the centre bounces, ball in had with a clean disposal.

For me to remember such detail means it must have happened many times👴

37 Disposals - 16 Kicks 21 Handballs for 450M Gained directly, only behind Daniher for Brisbane players
17 Contested Possessions
13 Clearances

Managed that whilst going at 82% Disposal Efficiency and only 1 Clanger for the day - if he managed to kick a goal when he got that behind he would hardly have a blemish on the stat sheet!

Neale was Black esque in how silky he was on the weekend

Back