Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have the image of him bursting out of the centre bounces, ball in had with a clean disposal.

For me to remember such detail means it must have happened many times👴
I remember him bursting away from a contest deep in the defensive half and lacing someone out , one of our bous of course or actually could of been a handball.
It stuck in my mind because it wasn't out of the middle, go figure.

I watched the replay last night.

First quarter kingy was bagging our defence where there were minor lapses, usually from 1 defender.

Later in the game he said he liked the kangaroos defence because they were being aggressive.

Kingy mate if north defend like that they’ll never win a game.

37 Disposals - 16 Kicks 21 Handballs for 450M Gained directly, only behind Daniher for Brisbane players
17 Contested Possessions
13 Clearances

Managed that whilst going at 82% Disposal Efficiency and only 1 Clanger for the day - if he managed to kick a goal when he got that behind he would hardly have a blemish on the stat sheet!

Neale was Black esque in how silky he was on the weekend
Totally agree, yet all we hear is about N Daicos getting 42 possessions, 31 of those uncontested. I'm not bagging Daicos, the kid is clearly a supreme talent, but the heavy focus on purely the number of possessions by the media (and fantasy pundits) is ridiculous. And it's like an optical illusion, once you see it, you can't unsee it!

The fix is in. A significant proportion of the media have decided that N. Daicos winning the Brownlow would make good ‘copy’ / ‘content’ and they are pushing to help make that happen.

The fix is in. A significant proportion of the media have decided that N. Daicos winning the Brownlow would make good ‘copy’ / ‘content’ and they are pushing to help make that happen.
+ I am sure umpires read and watch footy media and would be even unknowingly influenced by the hype, they would keep a keener eye on him.

I'll be forever shitty that Lachie didn't win his 2nd Brownlow last year, what a travesty it was Cripps getting it after getting off on a technicality for the Ah Chee snipe.

Lachie played one of the most complete error free games of footy I've ever seen. Or maybe my memory's fading.

Joe was clearly 2nd best and I had Joe best against the Pies
I was more shocked that both coaches had Cameron best on against the pies. Sure he kicked the 6 but were a lot out the back. I though Daniher and Rayner did more to set the game up than Cameron.

Totally agree, yet all we hear is about N Daicos getting 42 possessions, 31 of those uncontested. I'm not bagging Daicos, the kid is clearly a supreme talent, but the heavy focus on purely the number of possessions by the media (and fantasy pundits) is ridiculous. And it's like an optical illusion, once you see it, you can't unsee it!

To be fair we would hear about it if Neale was a 20 year old second year player and probably hear less about Daicos if he had already won a Brownlow and placed second the year prior while being 29. They talk Daicos up because he’s young, which also means there’s often not criticism of his game just because it’s not exactly something a lot of people like to do until a player starts to become older and more experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was more shocked that both coaches had Cameron best on against the pies. Sure he kicked the 6 but were a lot out the back. I though Daniher and Rayner did more to set the game up than Cameron.

At live games you can watch Charlie and see the huge amount of work he puts in. Would love to his GPS figures.

The amount of work he does deserves recognition. The goals out the back are just icing.

To be fair we would hear about it if Neale was a 20 year old second year player and probably hear less about Daicos if he had already won a Brownlow and placed second the year prior while being 29. They talk Daicos up because he’s young, which also means there’s often not criticism of his game just because it’s not exactly something a lot of people like to do until a player starts to become older and more experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
One can only hope Levi Ashcroft is talked up in the same manner when he is dominating the AFL in 2026 :p

At live games you can watch Charlie and see the huge amount of work he puts in. Would love to his GPS figures.

The amount of work he does deserves recognition. The goals out the back are just icing.
Probably fair definitely didnt get to see that on TV. Like many of our forwards some games they do a huge amount of unrewarded work, some games they don't. Live is the best way to judge that

But at the same time I just felt the impact of the other 2 was higher against the pies

+ I am sure umpires read and watch footy media and would be even unknowingly influenced by the hype, they would keep a keener eye on him.

I'll be forever shitty that Lachie didn't win his 2nd Brownlow last year, what a travesty it was Cripps getting it after getting off on a technicality for the Ah Chee snipe.
I not infrequently raise this with my Blues supporting brother.

A total disgrace that this thug cleaned up Ah Chee with a coward belt to the back of the head, leaving his victim unconscious before he hit the ground. When he came to AC immediately vomited. About 20m from where I sat All in the name, as BT labelled it, of "making a statement".

And got off totally scot free!!!!

Totally absolutely f****ing ridiculous. If it'd been any other club more than 10k from AFL central. Well we all know don't we.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

If it'd been any other club more than 10k from AFL central. Well we all know don't we.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Went onto to maps to see how far it actually was from AFL House to Princes Park ... yep around 5k.

Also not very far to Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, St Kilda ... it makes Footscray and Hawthorn looks like they are in the sticks comparatively speaking.

It also made sense why Fitzroy's geographical location made for such a squeeze.

Thanks for the prompt! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I put my tinfoil hat on it's easy to imagine a world where the AFL knew his standing in the brownlow and didn't want him to be ineligible in case he won.
Dont think you need your tinfoil hat to surmise that. I thought that it was obvious. Cant have a big Melbourne club incompetently struggle for so long without throwing them a freebie.

Dont think you need your tinfoil hat to surmise that. I thought that it was obvious. Cant have a big Melbourne club incompetently struggle for so long without throwing them a freebie.
My mail is that the AFL was really keen to see him get a stretch and the legal boffins involved in all these appeal processes like throwing their weight around to give themselves a reason to exist.

My mail is that the AFL was really keen to see him get a stretch and the legal boffins involved in all these appeal processes like throwing their weight around to give themselves a reason to exist.
Maybe. However these kind of outcomes occur too often to be passed off as something other than the right voice in the right ear and Shazam!, a Bulldogs Premiership or a thug act swept under the carpet. Not just AFL either.

If you're a player like Joyce on the fringe and not blessed with the greatest amount of raw ability every little blue you make gets picked up and highlighted. I hate the way people pick on battlers when they're contributing strongly to the team.

Darragh Joyce is the sort of player I want to like. He reads the play well, he's good overhead, seems to stay pretty calm and is also quite mobile for a taller fella. He's an Irish lad too, and having played Gaelic footy for a few years with any number of his fellow countrymen, I'm sure he's good for some quality banter whilst out on the town.

But his disposal is super dicey at times and he's given away a number of free kicks close to goal that have cost us. You can argue all day whether they were there or not but the score went on the board.

Gardiner on the other hand is great at that dirty, scragging sort of play that brings an opponent down to his level but somehow manages to ensure the umpire never/rarely sees anything untoward. Yes, his disposal isn't great either but most of the time he knows his limitations and plays well within them.

I feel like Joyce has a higher ceiling, so I am firmly in his corner, wanting him to prove me right on this. And it may come with more senior level game time.

But if I'm playing in a final tomorrow, I'm still picking a (mostly fit) Dizzy ahead of him.

And finally, where all the posters that were whingeing about playing at Mount Barker?

I must admit, I was one of these people. But having read about Hawthorn asking to play at Norwood next season, I think we should do the same and ask to make one of the smaller grounds our "home away from home". It may help us breed familiarity with the conditions, but more to the point, it will ensure we avoid another away game against one of the SA teams.

Fagan often gets criticised for his lack of matchday nous but I have a feeling that this may be a new strategy to counter handball happy teams like North who had162 handballs to our 133 today.

In fairness, basically every team in the comp is "handball happy" compared to us. Which is hardly a complaint on my behalf.

Embarrassing stuff from Mick that. Harris was excellent.

Did anyone hear what he said after the game while he was giving his votes? He was umming and ahhing about who to give the 1 vote to, out of Dunkley and Zorko. In the end he chose Dunkley on the grounds that "I don't like Zorko. He goes missing in big games too often". You should have heard the shock/exasperated half laughs from his co-commentators.

Hopefully he has the odd day when he gets up on the right side of the bed.

Hippy singing the praises for Linc, saying a lot of his and Joe's goals came from Linc's hard work.

Pretty sure there were people saying he was old and done last week. YOU WERE SO WRONG.

Go legs 11!!!

Great too that Eric gave him special mention without even being prompted. Thought Linc was terrific on Saturday and I was so pleased to know his efforts were recognised and appreciated by his team mates and (you would assume) the coaches.

Darragh Joyce is the sort of player I want to like. He reads the play well, he's good overhead, seems to stay pretty calm and is also quite mobile for a taller fella. He's an Irish lad too, and having played Gaelic footy for a few years with any number of his fellow countrymen, I'm sure he's good for some quality banter whilst out on the town.

But his disposal is super dicey at times and he's given away a number of free kicks close to goal that have cost us. You can argue all day whether they were there or not but the score went on the board.

Gardiner on the other hand is great at that dirty, scragging sort of play that brings an opponent down to his level but somehow manages to ensure the umpire never/rarely sees anything untoward. Yes, his disposal isn't great either but most of the time he knows his limitations and plays well within them.

I feel like Joyce has a higher ceiling, so I am firmly in his corner, wanting him to prove me right on this. And it may come with more senior level game time.

But if I'm playing in a final tomorrow, I'm still picking a (mostly fit) Dizzy ahead of him.

I must admit, I was one of these people. But having read about Hawthorn asking to play at Norwood next season, I think we should do the same and ask to make one of the smaller grounds our "home away from home". It may help us breed familiarity with the conditions, but more to the point, it will ensure we avoid another away game against one of the SA teams.

In fairness, basically every team in the comp is "handball happy" compared to us. Which is hardly a complaint on my behalf.

Did anyone hear what he said after the game while he was giving his votes? He was umming and ahhing about who to give the 1 vote to, out of Dunkley and Zorko. In the end he chose Dunkley on the grounds that "I don't like Zorko. He goes missing in big games too often". You should have heard the shock/exasperated half laughs from his co-commentators.

Hopefully he has the odd day when he gets up on the right side of the bed.

Great too that Eric gave him special mention without even being prompted. Thought Linc was terrific on Saturday and I was so pleased to know his efforts were recognised and appreciated by his team mates and (you would assume) the coaches.
What has annoyed me about Joyce, not him personally, is that the umpires seem to be very harsh or way more harsh on him than many others; I mean that game against the Dogs and even that HTB early in the 1Q v North they ping him straight away forHTB, marking/spoiling contests than say the umps would be on the top 50 players of the likes of Darcy More or Weitering or Tom Stewart.

Again the umps biases to the lesser lights paints guys like Joyce in a lesser light. For some reason, it should be the other away round. Overall Joyce has suprised me even tho I still think hes the man out when the coaches want to roll with GArdiner.

Was worried about this before, but not anymore.

Fairytale Bontempelli brownlow is in the works now. Daicos won't get near it ! #awwwww

Happy Amy Adams GIF

Back