Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Gunston can't do what Joyce and Payne can cover in their roles. He's a bit short and leaner build as well, so I doubt he can play close checking defender on a gorilla forward. Playing Gunston in back line means we have to change Andrews to lockdown role and let Gunston be that intercepting third defender potentially.

It's worth exploring as a fall back option but it'll disrupt what we've found as a working combination now. Andrews roaming free seems to be the best option so far.
Yep, the ideal scenario for us is Harris playing on the 3rd tall/medium forward, love him playing the intercepting role, also Jack Payne is improving every week and taking his share of intercepts as well.

Linc McCarthy played one of his best games yesterday. He was there to contest and chase after every ground ball, popped up across many lines providing support. Linc's ability to run past 2 North Players and then proceed to run down Sheezel for holding the ball was amazing.

Wonderful effort from Linc yesterday. Hope he does this more since he's far more valuable when he keeps his feet and keeps running compared to one big speccy or one big tackle effort.

He'll go out now to get a full VFL game and one of Prior/Dev/Answerth will slot in as sub.

We could even play Fort as sub now (as part of next week's rotation) since he had a full game, as well as if we want to bring Gunston back in.
Coming into round 6 it is great to see all the good options we have.
A healthy available list makes things even better.
No need to rush Gardiner back either as Joyce is playing okay as the 3rd tall for now.
Fagan basically indicated Gardiner will play VFL again next week.

I would like to see Oscar managed in a suitable game either side of the bye round.
Next week Fort should be okay against Flynn. Then maybe against the Eagles in round 16.

I'll happily admit I thought Lyons was flagging/having less of an impact early on last year and even got "shouted down" (ha, just kidding, I understand the concept of a discussion forum unlike many) until all of a sudden about a month later public opinion flipped. But then I was watching games and judging off his impact as a whole, a bit like Beams in his last year with us - in both cases the raw numbers were fine but the weaknesses in their game were apparent. The question becomes whether that was permanent (like Beams) or not.

Good in the reserves in the last few games but started the year with almost a level of inactivity to begin with. Still good to see reserves form rewarded.

I find your calls of hypocrisy laughable here given you will whip a whipping boy in every thread you can unprovoked yet somehow standing by Lyons excuses that for you but not anyone disagreeing with you.
I’m the first to admit I am Chairman of the Board for Whipping Boys dlanod - my point was more about people who decry me having whipping boys, and then go on to perpetrate their own. I am totally self aware, believe me … I think whipping boys are part and parcel of football, but you have to get it right ( subjective judgement from me there)

Should have won and we did. Still heart in mouth early but great to get the win and some percentage. Some players are still a concern for me but not going to openly state. Fingers crossed they get back to where they should be as it will go a long way to getting us back to where we should be. In regards to Payne and Joyce I have been pleasantly surprised with what they have done so far. Both are still learning and quite frankly for a guy that was delisted by the Saints Joyce has done pretty well. Allow them more game time which goes to their development and let’s see how they go later in the season.

Was pleased to see some man management within the game with Berry going to the bench and Dunkley to the forward line. Also Gunston being managed. Hope to see more of it through the season and guys being rewarded in the twos. Not wholesale but just one player here and there being rested.

Hippy singing the praises for Linc, saying a lot of his and Joe's goals came from Linc's hard work.

Pretty sure there were people saying he was old and done last week. YOU WERE SO WRONG.

Go legs 11!!!

Interesting that Hipwood made a big point of the 'selflessness trademark' that sounded like it could've come straight out of Fagan's mouth.

He also called Joe 'Joey' . So it seems things are where they always should have been.

In my head canon, Daniher invited Eric down to his rural property and they camped out in the back yard, toasted marshmallows, told ghost stories, traded Pogs and pledged to be best friends forever.

Hippy singing the praises for Linc, saying a lot of his and Joe's goals came from Linc's hard work.

Pretty sure there were people saying he was old and done last week. YOU WERE SO WRONG.

Go legs 11!!!
5 games to 100 for Lions as well.

Lenny McCarthy can officially join the father son watch from there on :D

In my head canon, Daniher invited Eric down to his rural property and they camped out in the back yard, toasted marshmallows, told ghost stories, traded Pogs and pledged to be best friends forever.
They pinky promised to be BFFs and then made friendship bracelets.

Linc McCarthy played one of his best games yesterday. He was there to contest and chase after every ground ball, popped up across many lines providing support. Linc's ability to run past 2 North Players and then proceed to run down Sheezel for holding the ball was amazing.

Wonderful effort from Linc yesterday. Hope he does this more since he's far more valuable when he keeps his feet and keeps running compared to one big speccy or one big tackle effort.
He did and I gave him a vote .
A brilliant team first performance .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Joyce could develop into a really strong part of the back line given a decent run at it. He has greater physical strength and height than Gardiner and seems quicker too. Considering his lack of experience and having only come to the club near the end of preseason training I think he has fitted in exceptionally well with the rest of the defence. And as others have said his inclusion along with Payne has definitely taken a lot of pressure off Andrews who is finally getting back to his AA form. Tough call for the selectors in the next couple of weeks.

Great post joshhem!
Then there are these showreels. Lyons has been an integral part of our rise. He was injured late last year, was omitted from the finals and suddenly the orthodoxy is that he is a one trick pony, who is slow and as one person put it, only a ‘depth player’. 🫵 As Midnight Oil sang, “short memories, must have a short memory.” I’m not buying the group think on Lyons. He is a natural footballer. Great by hand and foot, kicks goals, gives plenty away and is a clearance machine. In 2019 he was second in clearances behind Neale (189/139), in 2020 he was again second to Neale (103/98), in 2021 he led the club for clearances with Oscar second and Neale third (149/127/107) and last year, where he carried an injury, he was second behind Neale (191/123). Theses are some great numbers and certainly not those of a depth player.
I suggest people take a good look at these. Lyons is a gun footballer with a very very high football IQ. His positioning and ability to read the play are ELITE and he brings others into the game. I can see him coaching at the highest level after his playing career is over. You heard it first!

Yeah I get the stats you're putting out but if you're 1 of 2 that are playing the majority of time in the middle no doubt those numbers will be high. We're also playing a different game now, playing quicker, running from defense more, a stronger reliance in defensive running etc, as a lot of teams are now. We're not playing a stoppage game now, where he just had to jog on to the next stoppage, get a clearance n jog on to the next, get a clearance then feed the fwds. A simplified view of his game I know but basically relevant. Can he replicate those stats now with the way we're playing, with the emphasis on run and not stoppages? Has he got the game outside his stoppage work to compliment the way we're playing now? I don't know.

I'm with you when it comes to his footy IQ, he is a very clever and knowledgeable player and probably has a lot to offer in that regard. It did look on one occasion, and it was only one occasion I saw it, that he was a vocal contributor to the midfield discussion but we really have no idea what he said or if it was even helpful. He may have been just reiterating what the coaches had already said.

Hopefully yesterday was the turning point for Clugg's form this year. Definitely looked a lot more like the player we know yesterday. Probably Bailey's best game for the year too despite not hitting the scoreboard with a major.

Yeah I get the stats you're putting out but if you're 1 of 2 that are playing the majority of time in the middle no doubt those numbers will be high. We're also playing a different game now, playing quicker, running from defense more, a stronger reliance in defensive running etc, as a lot of teams are now. We're not playing a stoppage game now, where he just had to jog on to the next stoppage, get a clearance n jog on to the next, get a clearance then feed the fwds. A simplified view of his game I know but basically relevant. Can he replicate those stats now with the way we're playing, with the emphasis on run and not stoppages? Has he got the game outside his stoppage work to compliment the way we're playing now? I don't know.

I'm with you when it comes to his footy IQ, he is a very clever and knowledgeable player and probably has a lot to offer in that regard. It did look on one occasion, and it was only one occasion I saw it, that he was a vocal contributor to the midfield discussion but we really have no idea what he said or if it was even helpful. He may have been just reiterating what the coaches had already said.
That’s what you call leadership. There’s no stat for it, but it is that extra something, on top of his abundance of skill, that he brings to the team.

I haven't seen much love for McKenna in this thread but he adds such a point of difference. He executes some seriously unorthodox and yet brilliant kicks sometimes.

Also we nailed the Darcy Wilmot pick 16 selection in that 2021 draft. He is equal in talent to the 2016/2017 draft cohorts in McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Bailey and Starcevich. Absolute lock for our best 22.

Just on that 2017 draft, we absolutely nailed that one too with Jack Payne coming along now. Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich, Payne. Brilliant!

I haven't seen much love for McKenna in this thread but he adds such a point of difference. He executes some seriously unorthodox and yet brilliant kicks sometimes.

Also we nailed the Darcy Wilmot pick 16 selection in that 2021 draft. He is equal in talent to the 2016/2017 draft cohorts in McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Bailey and Starcevich. Absolute lock for our best 22.

Just on that 2017 draft, we absolutely nailed that one too with Jack Payne coming along now. Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich, Payne. Brilliant!
McKenna is an absolute gun imo. Good defensively , great decision maker ,tough as nails , marks and kicks well , runs like a hare , always takes the team first option.

See if we can sign him up for a couple more years now that he's here.

That’s what you call leadership. There’s no stat for it, but it is that extra something, on top of his abundance of skill, that he brings to the team.
Lyons was traded by the crows and delisted by the Suns (but they also got rid of 2m Peter). Lyons form from only a couple of years ago would likely have him in the team by now, but as others have said we are playing a slightly different game plan and no doubt in my mind the game is quicker, and just my opinion this is where Lyons is not good at the spread from the contest and the now required fast two way running.

I am not sure who can be dropped for him at present, perhaps as good as Aschroft is/will be, 22 games in the midfield might be a bit much for an 18 year old (one that we want to get 12-15 years from), so I do see Lyons getting some games, and unfortunately that might come at the expense of Dev.

If you're a player like Joyce on the fringe and not blessed with the greatest amount of raw ability every little blue you make gets picked up and highlighted. I hate the way people pick on battlers when they're contributing strongly to the team.
As a "no namer" I reckon the umps have been really harsh on Joyce - he has had some really soft frees paid against him.

Back