Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Have at it

Aside from an inexplicable lapse from late in the 1st through to a bit over halfway through the 2nd there were some things to like

That patch though was awful and cost us 11 goals so it was game over at that point

Positives - Avoided our annual Kardinia Park 80 point pumping by playing the game in SA. No injury drama besides Ginbey who's run out of gas, expect him to be rested next week.

Negatives- Conceding 89 points in a half isn't really ideal. Brainfarting for a whole half an hour period in that time.

Oscar is/will be an absolute star. So glad to have our next elite forward sorted out already.

On the game itself, the second half fight was very pleasing to see. In general, with each week game, there are some good signs consistently being shown in regards to the rebuild, so can't ask for much more than that, at this stage.

Positive.

I learnt little known rule 14.5.6: High contact is not allowed except for if you are playing West Coast and you first spoil the ball. Thanks for bringing this to light commentary team.

Oscar = gun.
looking like there is a bit to work with and enjoying the team taking on a bit of run and carry.
yeo s**t mixing danger, missed him the last couple of years.
thought Clark had one of his better games for us.
games into young guys.

Lots of negatives but worst is Barrass and our inability to slow a team down when they get us by the scruff

Positives

• Waterman had another great game.
  • Allen continuing to build. We're a long way from contending, but how many clubs can have one champion key forward retire only for his heir apparent to roll right off the production line? Can think of one of club in particular who'd kill to have him...
  • SPS continues to do good things when he gets the ball. Love his composure in picking out a good option instead of blazing away in tight spots.
  • He didn't get heaps of it, but Long did some very clever things and is so clean below his knees.
  • We looked so much more threatening with Yeo in the guts. He hits every contest hard, and has the strength and agility to burst of out congestion or kill the opposition's spread with his tackling.
  • For all the talk about his speed and outside game, I have been pretty impressed with Hunt's willingness to do the one percenters. Had a couple of spoils and defensive efforts that led to scores.
  • We didn't roll over and let them bury us. Thought it was interesting that a few of the Cats players looked gassed when the final siren went - we definitely lifted our work rate in the second half.

Negatives

• The procession in the second quarter. Geelong is a much better side than us, but there can't be any excuse for letting teams walk it out of the middle like they did.
  • Barrass got better late, but still looks a long way off the player he was in 2022.
  • For now, we can't rely on Yeo to play out a full game in the midfield. It's depressing seeing what he can do in there, and what we've missed out on since 2019. Had the same feeling watching Shuey in the Derby - we've been robbed of so much footy from our two mids who can change direction quickly, break tackles and generate momentum out of the middle.

Positive.

I learnt little known rule 14.5.6: High contact is not allowed except for if you are playing West Coast and you first spoil the ball. Thanks for bringing this to light commentary team.

Oscar = gun.
looking like there is a bit to work with and enjoying the team taking on a bit of run and carry.
yeo s**t mixing danger, missed him the last couple of years.
thought Clark had one of his better games for us.
games into young guys.

Lots of negatives but worst is Barrass and our inability to slow a team down when they get us by the scruff
Lol - that drove me nuts when they were saying how good DeKoning was when he punched Darling right in the face front-on. It doesn't matter of you get the ball first, high contact is high contact.

I thought Simmo’s interview after HT was pretty good - acknowledged that to concede the amount of goals we did in the second half was unacceptable and addressed the key reason, our complete failure in the contest.

Whatever was said/changed had a good effect. Am glad Yeo was moved into the midfield at times in the second half - we are still terribly short in that area and need that bigger body/experience.

I thought Culley showed a bit (long way to go yes). Noah Long and Ginbey continue to impress. Luke Edwards calmness and decision making is excellent, if he can find more of the ball, we may have a player there.

Our forward line (talls) all did pretty well, JD is playing under duress but performing admirably. Oscar is a star.

Defence concerns, TB is going through a bad patch… He did some good things late but really was out of sorts. JJ and Hough impressed. Witherden was alright.

Next week is THE game. Desperately want to beat that team. Unfortunately, unlike Geelong, they will try and flat track if they get the chance so may be ugly… but a four quarter effort please is all we want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good.
Oscar. Ginbey. Future right there. Just didn’t give up all game.

Ginbey chased, harassed, tackled strongly, despite a clumsy eye poke from the ‘players player’ Dangerfield. He’s a leader and he can hold his head high.

Oscar just worked so hard to continually present and deserved 5 which he would have gotten had it not been for O’Neills lack of awareness in the last, or his selflessness.

Waterman is also having a good start to the year. He’d be a great guy to play with I think.

Jones and Duggan had some good moments.

Our response after half time was good, game was done but our pressure was really good. Just need to move it to the 2nd quarter in games

Bad: all got a bit much from about midway through the first to half time. Lack of leadership very evident and a game we missed Hurn.

We needed more from our more experienced guys in Petch, O’Neill, Clark, Gaff & SPP.

Ugly: it’s been several hours but Yeo’s horrific turnover to end the first quarter is still making me angry. That’s the sort of kick in my view that is subbing off worthy. Team just needs to see off 40 seconds to reset after a promising start. Senior leaders just cannot kick that poorly. We dropped our heads and that second quarter followed.

Overall, to not have lost by 150+ is a positive result because just before half time I could see it happening.

Good to see the continued improvements to the game style, it's not perfect yet but we should be playing a good brand of footy next year. Players like SPS and hunt are starting to act like on field leaders and they were both pretty crucial to that fight back late in the game when our acting captain was mentally out of the game. Allen and Jakey are a great mobile forward unit and faired very well against a very good backline, Osava, stewart and DK are no joke. We look so much better in the midfield with Elliot in it, so going forward if we aren't going to rest Ginbey against port I'd like to see him rotating with Yeo more frequently and keep them both in the whole game. Much better to have him play a full game in and out of the midfield rotating with Yeo rather than sub him out in the 3rd quarter. Ginbey will be a beast in due time but right now for the role he's playing it's going to be difficult getting battered week in week out so I'd rather rest him down back then open him up to injury.

Centre bounces are still clearly a weakness and theirs no synergy between Williams and the rest of the midfield with his taps, he looked quite good early in the first quarter but danger started to read his taps to easily and took advantage of our weak midfield structure. That's where it started to go wrong in the 2nd quarter and I don't know how we start winning centre bounce clearances again without getting NN back in the side.

Just watching the late FTA, Dangerfield, what a dirty player? Apart from eye gouging (seriously?) I thought they got rid of the grubby Toby Greene 'studs out' when marking?

Last edited:
Second quarter letting go of the rope in a big way cost us a chance to be competitive in the game, as it did against North (obviously much more winnable).

Either side of that, plenty to like.

If the Cats had poured it on in the second half and completely demolished a team like they love to do, it would have been an indictment on our backbone. So conversely, to stand up, take five goals off the margin, keep playing corridor and run/carry footy is a tick from me.

Duggan’s best game of the year. JJ good. Oscar and Waterman paired nicely.

Loved Dermie’s used car analogy. Some cars are too good to trade in for a pittance. Drive them until they fall apart. Jack Darling will be worth his weight in gold to Allen/Waterman in helping them develop.

Margin is about par, the way we got there was creative.

Would love to see how many Cats goals came from throws/Danger studs up/down field free kicks for laying a tackle.

Hope the AFL takes action on Dangerfield. Probably won't cos of his superstar/good guy status.
There is nothing inadvertent about him poking Ginbey's eye here. He's looking straight at him.
You could argue against it but it looks to me like he goes for Ginbey's face then slides his hand down to the ball afterwards.
Nvm though, nothing will happen.
6d622fa25fc889b1f0d432d8b8dfe2a19c03e510.jpg
Video also above.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but it wasn't Duggans best game of the year, and if it is, it's a very low bar

Watching the game live, Duggan is the embodiment of "lets get the ball just enough so it's looks good statistically whilst simultaneously doing nothing with it"

Obtain ball, short kick to nothing. Rinse, repeat

I will do a much more detailed game critique when I get home

+
When the delivery was good the forward line functioned well.
Ginbey got amongst it again
Long should have a free pass the rest of the year.looks classy and tough
Jones still providing dash
Hough might be too good down back to move into the midfield for now
The fight we showed after half time was great

-
Not a fan of O'Neil, i can understand him getting a gig but really think this'll be his last season.without all the injuries he shouldn't be playing
Missed gov
Bombing it long to the forward line definitely didnt work today
Geez we need a ruckman

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am sorry, but it wasn't Duggans best game of the year, and if it is, it's a very low bar

Watching the game live, Duggan is the embodiment of "lets get the ball just enough so it's looks good statistically whilst simultaneously doing nothing with it"

Obtain ball, short kick to nothing. Rinse, repeat

I will do a much more detailed game critique when I get home
Was his best game of the year by a mile mate. Nothing to do with how he went with it, everything to do with how he marshalled the backline, filled the hole repeatedly and fought like crazy on every loose ball.

Went well with the footy but this wasn’t a stats post.

Hope the AFL takes action on Dangerfield. Probably won't cos of his superstar/good guy status.
There is nothing inadvertent about him poking Ginbey's eye here. He's looking straight at him.
View attachment 1662467
Video also above.
It's almost as if the ball was right next to Ginbeys face.

Was his best game of the year by a mile mate. Nothing to do with how he went with it, everything to do with how he marshalled the backline, filled the hole repeatedly and fought like crazy on every loose ball.

Went well with the footy but this wasn’t a stats post.

Did you attend the game?
Failing that, are you drunk?
Failing that, have you heard of OPSM?

He (duggan) was average at best. I saw it live and he was bona fide vanilla

If that's the best he has to offer, it's a low bar. Now please, stop with the endless sycophantry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back