Review Round 5 - Adelaide Crows 'The Kieron Turner Cup'

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yep to both of these. Brodie had earned another go for sure.

And if anyone thinks we are out of the retention woods yet, they're way overconfident. Little things like a homecoming match for Lukosius (and leaving him down there for a few extra days) will go a long way to messaging our care for him. He's more important long term than the minimal short term gain of replacing him this week.
The only issue I have with this, is I don't want to be gifting players games. Dew seems to have instilled a belief in the team that you need to earn your place, regardless of name/age/draft pick. If the selection committee decide that he isn't up to it for this game, then he shouldn't be playing. However, feel free to take him to Adelaide, perhaps as the travelling emergency.

Also, he may be filling a role that Dew and the coaches love that we aren't seeing, and they may want to keep him in on merit.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Adelaide is the only team Suns have never beaten - they aren't travelling well ATM and Adelaide Oval is a big ask -but - maybe Suns win by less than a goal ??. The form is there....:)
Yeah, it would be great to final get that monkey off the back, and there's never been a better opportunity to do so.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gonna need some mature bodies to go up against a big Adelaide side. GHS, Brodie should come in. 2 one paced midfields in this, like Weller to come in and play on the wing to give us some speed
I don't think adding bigger bodies would help much tbh. Crows will likely win the midfield battle, so probably better to go with speed to get them on the rebound. If anything maybe try to tag one of their mids (probably Matt Crouch).

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Adelaide are a bigger bodied side and have been fairly one-paced this year so if ever there were a game to see what Brodie is capable of this year, this would be it. Going head to head with the Crouch Bros. Would be a great test for him and his contested work.

But in saying that, the one possible way we win this game is with our speed out of the backline and pressure up forward. Brodie doesn’t really fit in with tho and we still have Swallow, Touk, Miles, Bowes, Fiorini gelling and getting better in the middle so maybe we go with a player with more speed and/or spread.

Would prefer to give Powell the week off as well, but he’s a competitor and he won’t want to lose his spot even through injury so we might have to physically hold him back from running on the field to give him a rest.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is this the major downside with WB? I have no idea....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Go and watch GCS NeAFL YouTube video. Lot of them with will Brodie playing instead of looking at stats . 2018 and 2019. Looking at stats don't give you idea how they play but some idea how many times they dispose the ball . I rather Brad sheer than Brodie vs Adelaide .

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Is this the major downside with WB? I have no idea....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We all see WB as our version of Josh Kennedy, they are similar size, shape and almost move the same.
JK was one of the most famous names at Hawthorn, and after 2 years was traded to Sydney because he couldn't kick and was slow...

Maybe because of size (like key position players), they just take time to figure it out a little more? Cripps wasn't setting the world on fire in his first or 2nd year either. O'cockface won the rising star in 2013 and Cripps didn't even poll a nomination until 2 years after he was drafted in 2015 (runnerup to Jesse Hogan for Rising star).

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After some quiet introspection after yesterday afternoon's hijinx and shenanigans I think Burgess will probably make way for Day/Corbett
Needs to kick a few bags in the 2's
Hopefully Weller will be back maybe for Lukosius
GHS for Powell

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
we all know will brodie can find the ball just question marks remain on how well he use's it. from what ive seen in 2 neafl games this year he doesnt hurt the opposition enough with his disposal.
GHS looked awesome yesterday and should be a certain starter for us this week.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
we all know will brodie can find the ball just question marks remain on how well he use's it. from what ive seen in 2 neafl games this year he doesnt hurt the opposition enough with his disposal.
GHS looked awesome yesterday and should be a certain starter for us this week.
I managed only to see 2nd half which was ordinary from the team including GHS. Still Corbett and Ah Chee were class above. I also liked bits from Brodie and Scheer.

Last edited:

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's interesting to see the range of opinion on Brodie. Unless he has gone backwards (and honestly, his NEAFL firm would say not), I can't quite forget that by rounds 18, 19 and 20 he looked completely at home in our A team and we'll inside our best 10 in each of those games.

I reckon he's out at the end of the year, and he'll burn us.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's interesting to see the range of opinion on Brodie. Unless he has gone backwards (and honestly, his NEAFL firm would say not), I can't quite forget that by rounds 18, 19 and 20 he looked completely at home in our A team and we'll inside our best 10 in each of those games.

I hope he’s not another one of those players where there is too much focus on his weaknesses and not enough focus on his strengths.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

I don't think he gone backwards to be honest , just that he is not flexible in his role , Dangerfield, Fyfe , Cripps , Jack/dusty Martin,swallow ,Bowes are all capable of spending time in the forward line and score goal .Rd 18,19 ,20 you don't have Jack martin , Ben Ainsworth , or Florini available to compare also .

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think he gone backwards to be honest , just that he is not flexible in his role , Dangerfield, Fyfe , Cripps , Jack/dusty Martin,swallow ,Bowes are all capable of spending time in the forward line and score goal .Rd 18,19 ,20 you don't have Jack martin , Ben Ainsworth , or Florini available to compare also .
I don't have the expectation that he is elite to the level of your comparison — Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps. But he was playing well and looked quite comfortable at the level last year.

I'm sure Fiorini was playing in a couple of those games too, I can't recall if he was more or less effective at that point in time. Martin is Martin, I certainly don't want Brodie to be that player.

What I do want us is a player to consistently get first hands on the ball that Witts is knocking down — Brodie can be elite at that.

Edit: I do think we'll get to see that, I just think it might be at a different club now.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't have the expectation that he is elite to the level of your comparison — Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps. But he was playing well and looked quite comfortable at the level last year.

I'm sure Fiorini was playing in a couple of those games too, I can't recall if he was more or less effective at that point in time. Martin is Martin, I certainly don't want Brofie to be that player.

What I do want us is a player to consistently get first hands on the ball that Witts is knocking down — Brodie can be elite at that.

Edit: I do think we'll get to see that, I just think it might be at a different club now.
if different club so be it , you can't just be one dimension players in AFL , I rather a player get 20 disposal and make good decision than 37 disposal and bad decision .

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
if different club so be it , you can't just be one dimension players in AFL , I rather a player get 20 disposal and make good decision than 37 disposal and bad decision .
That's kind of my point though, last year he wasn't notably making bad decisions. He was playing quite well at a level higher than he is now.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's kind of my point though, last year he wasn't notably making bad decisions. He was playing quite well at a level higher than he is now.
I don't get it last year GCS fall apart in the second and third quarter in most of the matches in AFL as a team and you said he is playing quite well. Is not like GCS lost 10 or 20 point but 30+ to 50+ point .NEAFL team have the same problem playing one good quarter football against Sydney.

I don’t normally fire up but I’m going to now. Those of you calling for Murdoch to be dropped have a look at the past couple of games and see how valuable he is. He barely EVER misses a target, his disposal efficency is great, he transitions the ball superbly off half back and uses the ball well. Dewy sees the potential in him thankfully.

Back