Preview Round 5: Brisbane Lions v NM Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe that is what BHA will look like during the Gabba demolition and rebuild.

They should hold the Gather Round in Qld next year & trial it. If Mt Barker is fit to hold an AFL game (and I have no problems with that at all), then Springfield certainly is.

Gather round could be Gabba, Springfield, Metricon, & Cazaly Stadiums.

They should hold the Gather Round in Qld next year & trial it. If Mt Barker is fit to hold an AFL game (and I have no problems with that at all), then Springfield certainly is.

You’re not really gathering everyone if a game is played at a location that’s as far from brisbane as Melbourne. Three venues are plenty.

The 2 rucks gives us a good advantage against most teams so I'm happy with the change.

I'd also love to get Ah Chee in the team and not unhappy with Prior but this is how it rolls when you have an injury free list.

You’re not really gathering everyone if a game is played at a location that’s as far from brisbane as Melbourne. Three venues are plenty.

Meh, AFL make the rules as they go anyways. Less wear & tear on the ground if its four stadiums, plus a good PR campaign up north qld in Cowboys country.

Happy to get Fort in to double team Goldstein, I think I said that could be an option earlier in this thread, and I assumed Rich, if fit, would come in for Prior. Also happy Dev goes back to Vfl to get a full game into him. So no real surprises in selection for me. I would have been happy if there were no changes as well.

Weather sounds like it won't be pleasant, so maybe a late change to suit conditions. Maybe we're too tall if it's wet. Prior gets the sub role I think.

I think we can go in confident and I think the attitude and determination of the hunter will still be there. Weather might make it a scrappy game and it may not be a high scoring one but I think a 24 point win at the minimum is on the cards.

Edit: I think it's very important to get the result here with 3 of the next 4 rounds (rounds 5-8) on the road.

Last edited:
Reflecting on this match a little we've had a nice break . The guys mightn't mind a bonding trip to the Adelaide hills . The ground looks like you could eat your breakfast off it.

I'd be surprised if we didn't win easily. NM gave it a good crack last week and fell away. They've got to get themselves up again. Whatever the conditions are they've got the same issues with that we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A combination of wind and rain may not make this the greatest spectacle. Especially when the ground is entirely exposed.

I think we play pretty well in wet conditions,

Would be happy to scratch out a low scoring win by 3 to 4 goals

9-13 to 6-10 sounds good to me with Dunkley to really shine

I have a feeling that North will really put it to us and that a blowout win to us is unlikely

Last edited:
Resting Gunston for an away game is a smart call. We should manage our list like that more often. And Fort deserves a game.

Prior out is rough (though I think any defender getting dropped would have been). He played a good game on the weekend and is in the list of players who we regularly screw over in never giving a good run to.
I just watched the Crows v Blues game and you can see what confidence is doing...I am not saying Crows make the 8, but Keays is a real goer, Murray and Butts growing in confidence and Fogarty gone to a new level.

Can't help but think Prior and Dev would benefit from a good run of games, seem to get regularly dropped a bit like what was happening to Payne the last couple of years. I would have been inclined to give Rich another week and left Prior in, as he played well last week.

I think the attraction is, with the exception of Mt Barker, the relative proximity of the games to the CBD. Norwood is a relatively short bus ride from Adelaide. Similar attraction to the NRL magic round where all 8 games are played at Suncorp stadium which is relatively close to the Brisbane CBD. No doubt if the gather round is a success some of the Premiers will tender for it next year, so is possible could be somewhere different.

Reflecting on this match a little we've had a nice break . The guys mightn't mind a bonding trip to the Adelaide hills . The ground looks like you could eat your breakfast off it.

I'd be surprised if we didn't win easily. NM gave it a good crack last week and fell away. They've got to get themselves up again. Whatever the conditions are they've got the same issues with that we have.
I hope you are right with a comfortable win as it will boost our percentage and a few of the current top 8 teams are playing each other this weekend so therefore we could jump up a few spots. I think the wind and rain brings the skills and the teams closer together and Logue and McKay will stiffen up their defence.

Any win will do, but hopefully somewhere around 4 or so goals.

View attachment 1659184

Google weather, so it’s hardly the most accurate, but looks pretty dry around game time hopefully.

I use a weather app called YR, have found it to be pretty damn good & accurate compared to the 25% chance of 25mm of rain forecasts of the BOM.

Some bushies & fly fisherman put me onto the app, they swear by it.

At this stage the app is saying rain up till 8am, then nothing until 4pm. Not dissimilar to google weather.

I just watched the Crows v Blues game and you can see what confidence is doing...I am not saying Crows make the 8, but Keays is a real goer, Murray and Butts growing in confidence and Fogarty gone to a new level.

Can't help but think Prior and Dev would benefit from a good run of games, seem to get regularly dropped a bit like what was happening to Payne the last couple of years. I would have been inclined to give Rich another week and left Prior in, as he played well last week.
I am tipping the crows make the 8. Last night showed their hunger and passion to play for each other. When Tex was offline you could see how frustrated he was with himself, even though they had it in the bag. I know it was a home game and the gather round, but I can still see them being this year's surprise.

I saw on Fox the other night that because some clubs might be rorting the NRL salary cap, that player payments should be made public. I hope this never happens in NRL or AFL or other Aust sports. IMO this would put extra pressure on young players who may be well paid because of potential or just because the team is desperate to keep/attract players. There are integrity dept setup if they need further resources to uncover breaches then do it, but to release publicly all player payments is a mistake.

I suspect the players are well drilled on the pitfalls of social media but just a guess, I would not be surprised if some of them and or their families look at AFL related social media sites, including this one
I can see why the game would do it especially in the NRL where contracts count for nothing. However I think it would count an an invasion of privacy and be overruled in a court. As I understand it every contract is already registered with the league so the salary cap is 'policed'. In the NRL and no doubt AFL as has been proven before, it's payments outside of that, cash and benefits that don't turn up on a tax return. Player A goes to a club then his father turns up on that club's payroll - player B goes to another club and his partner opens a hairdressing salon in the local area. Or - player C goes to a club and his brother turns up on their reserve grade list for match payments. What is acceptable and what isn't that is the debate, its like how do they find every payment or 'wink wink' to do with a player.

I can see why the game would do it especially in the NRL where contracts count for nothing. However I think it would count an an invasion of privacy and be overruled in a court. As I understand it every contract is already registered with the league so the salary cap is 'policed'. In the NRL and no doubt AFL as has been proven before, it's payments outside of that, cash and benefits that don't turn up on a tax return. Player A goes to a club then his father turns up on that club's payroll - player B goes to another club and his partner opens a hairdressing salon in the local area. Or - player C goes to a club and his brother turns up on their reserve grade list for match payments. What is acceptable and what isn't that is the debate, its like how do they find every payment or 'wink wink' to do with a player.
Afl contracts are starting to go the same way, starting to count for nothing too. A mid season trade period would make it even worse.

I don't really have a problem with clubs helping a spouse get into a business, or a relative getting a role or Vfl contract with the club. If it helps secure a player longer term or gives them a support base in a new state I'm good with that.

I am tipping the crows make the 8. Last night showed their hunger and passion to play for each other. When Tex was offline you could see how frustrated he was with himself, even though they had it in the bag. I know it was a home game and the gather round, but I can still see them being this year's surprise.
Yes they appear to be going well, and being a non top 8 team from 2022 likely they have a relatively easy draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back