Preview Round 5: Brisbane Lions v NM Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can see why the game would do it especially in the NRL where contracts count for nothing. However I think it would count an an invasion of privacy and be overruled in a court. As I understand it every contract is already registered with the league so the salary cap is 'policed'. In the NRL and no doubt AFL as has been proven before, it's payments outside of that, cash and benefits that don't turn up on a tax return. Player A goes to a club then his father turns up on that club's payroll - player B goes to another club and his partner opens a hairdressing salon in the local area. Or - player C goes to a club and his brother turns up on their reserve grade list for match payments. What is acceptable and what isn't that is the debate, its like how do they find every payment or 'wink wink' to do with a player.
Spot on - But how is all the extra benefits afforded to players policed or are they just flagrantly ignored - cushy jobs for partners or parents where they are overpaid, business opportunities with guaranteed returns also pumping up contracts or players given opportunities to purchase land for well under which automatically creates equity. Its a crap show whichever way you look at, but good on the players and there partners or parents , siblings etc for being able to exploit such opportunities that most of us could only dream. I suspect the AFL turns a blind eye to a hell of a lot but if looks ok on the surface then its all good.

Spot on - But how is all the extra benefits afforded to players policed or are they just flagrantly ignored - cushy jobs for partners or parents where they are overpaid, business opportunities with guaranteed returns also pumping up contracts or players given opportunities to purchase land for well under which automatically creates equity. Its a crap show whichever way you look at, but good on the players and there partners or parents , siblings etc for being able to exploit such opportunities that most of us could only dream. I suspect the AFL turns a blind eye to a hell of a lot but if looks ok on the surface then its all good.
Where the inequity comes in is where different clubs might have different ... opportunities ... for 'networking' and 'support', 'media' and 'ancilliary employment options'. One could easily imagine that Geelong or Collingwood or Essendon etc have more options than GWS, GCS, Lions, Freo etc...

There are too many conflicts of interest between media organisations and the AFL to say too much about these issues.

Where the inequity comes in is where different clubs might have different ... opportunities ... for 'networking' and 'support', 'media' and 'ancilliary employment options'. One could easily imagine that Geelong or Collingwood or Essendon etc have more options than GWS, GCS, Lions, Freo etc...
I always found it interesting in recent years on Fox Footy or 7 how newly traded in players - mostly from interstate clubs to Melbourne clubs - then became panelists or guests on a lot of shows when you never saw them prior to being traded.

I always found it interesting in recent years on Fox Footy or 7 how newly traded in players - mostly from interstate clubs to Melbourne clubs - then became panelists or guests on a lot of shows when you never saw them prior to being traded.
Especially when everyone can see how terribly inarticulate they are.

Treloar was a great example when he went down to Collingwood. Got a heap of media time for a guy who wasnt exactly the sharpest tool going around

There are always ways to compensate players.I did some work for a basketball clubs They lost their star player to another team.In his new contract the player was guaranteed to win the MVP award which came with a car. He struggled with injury so it was all looking dodgy.

Cam Rayner and Hugh McCluggage's Podcast Kick Ons has been very underwhelming so for but I just listened to the latest episode with Josh Dunkley... a lot of serious footy talk and chat about Dunks settling into Brisbane + Big Footy actually gets a quick mention, some good humour as well.

I didn't even bother listening to the last one and only scanned over the 2 before that, Cam and Hugh are more relaxed with Josh ... I highly recommend listening to this one, give it a/another go.:thumbsu:

Cam Rayner and Hugh McCluggage's Podcast Kick Ons has been very underwhelming so for but I just listened to the latest episode with Josh Dunkley... a lot of serious footy talk and chat about Dunks settling into Brisbane + Big Footy actually gets a quick mention, some good humour as well.

I didn't even bother listening to the last one and only scanned over the 2 before that, Cam and Hugh are more relaxed with Josh ... I highly recommend listening to this one, give it a/another go.:thumbsu:

They're definitely getting better

They are now 5 episodes in so getting some experience helps... some synergy perhaps :think:Ashcroft's 5th game this weekend, maybe we will see less dump kicks out of congestion from Will.;)
I for one will be expecting Will to have -27 metres gained from 32 disposals - 0 kicks and 32 backward handballs from the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if sub has been announced yet, but that looks like Cal in the background of the Linc pics.

Not sure if sub has been announced yet, but that looks like Cal in the background of the Linc pics.
The emergencies named yesterday were Ah Chee, Lyons, Prior and Fullarton, I would assume they have all travelled just in case of late outs.

Personally I am hoping Prior or Ah Chee is the sub.

I just watched the Crows v Blues game and you can see what confidence is doing...I am not saying Crows make the 8, but Keays is a real goer, Murray and Butts growing in confidence and Fogarty gone to a new level.

Can't help but think Prior and Dev would benefit from a good run of games, seem to get regularly dropped a bit like what was happening to Payne the last couple of years. I would have been inclined to give Rich another week and left Prior in, as he played well last week.
I’ve been the biggest Dev cheerleader here, but that horse has bolted now.

There’s no way I see a path for Dev in to a permanent first team role.

For Prior, it’s easy to see he should be first choice to replace Rich in the team.

I’ve been the biggest Dev cheerleader here, but that horse has bolted now.

There’s no way I see a path for Dev in to a permanent first team role.

For Prior, it’s easy to see he should be first choice to replace Rich in the team.

Not sure we've seen the improvement from him either to be anything more than a Lachie Neale downgrade

Not sure we've seen the improvement from him either to be anything more than a Lachie Neale downgrade
This is not my opinion, as I was taught it many years ago…

Improvement comes from playing consistently at a higher level, until you catch up to that level.

Playing at VFL level, most players are only going to progress to a point where they are to good for the VFL, but because there’s such a large gap in quality between the VFL and AFL, it’s hard for players to step up straight away, unless they are a genuinely a top level talent.

We’ll never see it with Dev here, because he won’t ever get a full season playing a key role. He’s been designated as a “play a specific role” role player in our system.

I don’t believe he’ll ever reach Neale’s level as an inside mid, but I do believe if given the opportunity, he could get to a Crouch level type player.

There's a serious housing shortage in the general Geelong area which may be why new arrivals are apparently assisted in receiving housing and or land packages. Nothing illegal in this of course. Not for a VFL side anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back