Preview Round 5: Brisbane Lions v NM Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not concerned who is the sub TBH.
So far in the 4 rounds of AFL only a couple of subs have had any sort of impact on the game when activated.
It's a lottery anyhow as you have no idea who may get injured or not playing to standard.

The ground conditions really should not come into calculations as you should sort that part out when naming the 22.

Playing on an open suburban ground goal and field kicking accuracy will be crucial.
We should beat North, but it is one of those games that could go either way.
Yes, the old danger game because of an unknown ground and conditions.
To be honest i will be happy just to come away with a win and no injuries.
Nah, the wind will blow our normally wayward shots back on course

Prior is super stiff to not be named in the team. If I was the North coach I would put a quick player on Rich, instruct him to run off him and then play through that player with quick transition for inside 50’s and out the back goals. That sort of mismatch makes Rich a liability. His tendency to go slow and long down the line is another problem. He needs to be using his kicking prowess to open the game up with quick aggressive kicks to running players in the corridor. Time will tell, but if we were playing a genuine top 4 or even top 8 side, Rich’s inclusion would really worry me.

Spot on - But how is all the extra benefits afforded to players policed or are they just flagrantly ignored - cushy jobs for partners or parents where they are overpaid, business opportunities with guaranteed returns also pumping up contracts or players given opportunities to purchase land for well under which automatically creates equity. Its a crap show whichever way you look at, but good on the players and there partners or parents , siblings etc for being able to exploit such opportunities that most of us could only dream. I suspect the AFL turns a blind eye to a hell of a lot but if looks ok on the surface then its all good.
yep, it is very hard to police correctly - the media opportunities are pretty easy as a player would get paid directly by the likes of channel 7 so i don't have an issue with that. Just consider us at the Lions, Dunkly signs a long term contract and then we sign his brother to a reserve grade contract. Rayner has a contract coming and then Rayner's brother also get a reserve grade contract. We can easily argue that is managing the 'go home' factor, but is it. Lachie Neal moves into a new house in Springfield and argues it's for his growing family - all true - but do we think that was a full price home and a full price build, maybe. Anything paid directly to a player, or a players company that is claimable on tax, I think they get found out. Yep it's the indirect benefits that may well be available especially in the big clubs with more sponsors and supporters and no AFL involvement that can make the offers that are not taxable.

Robertson will head back to WA at the end of the season is my tip.
I agree, the kid had such a good junior career in WA and was a slider in the draft somewhat unexpected you would think, he thinks, I can do better.

But then - let's say Llyons retires from our list to coach somewhere. Mathieson does get an offer to move, maybe 2 years somewhere. Suddenly Dev is our next in line, maybe battling with Tunstal and waiting for younger Ashcroft to arrive. He may just get an offer from the lions thats not so bad, still might not guarantee continuous senior footy but with a few out of the race and close to equal money he may stay - given none of the WA clubs took him in his draft year so they must have saw something.

Prior is super stiff to not be named in the team. If I was the North coach I would put a quick player on Rich, instruct him to run off him and then play through that player with quick transition for inside 50’s and out the back goals. That sort of mismatch makes Rich a liability. His tendency to go slow and long down the line is another problem. He needs to be using his kicking prowess to open the game up with quick aggressive kicks to running players in the corridor. Time will tell, but if we were playing a genuine top 4 or even top 8 side, Rich’s inclusion would really worry me.
I think this was highlighted in commentary mid last season that Rich is like an ocean liner, to turn around and run the other way takes a lot of pushing and shoving. If there is a turnover he does get caught out but mind you we have the most efficient forward line anyway. Rich is certainly is an opportunity for opposition to exploit but they have to win the ball in front of him and without that, no opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm giving Rich some slack. It's early in the season. Some of the things that get blamed on him are over the top.

For sure he's getting near the end but happy to see a few more games as to whether we're better of with or without him.

He did play excellent footy in the finals last year when the real pressure was on and people tend to forget that.

I'm giving Rich some slack. It's early in the season. Some of the things that get blamed on him are over the top.

For sure he's getting near the end but happy to see a few more games as to whether we're better of with or without him.

He did play excellent footy in the finals last year when the real pressure was on and people tend to forget that.
His best game of the year IMO was the final against Melbourne at the MCG, I was there that night and he made me eat my words.

I still think his best his a fair way behind him and I'd have a couple of other options in the side before him at the moment.

I agree, the kid had such a good junior career in WA and was a slider in the draft somewhat unexpected you would think, he thinks, I can do better.

But then - let's say Llyons retires from our list to coach somewhere. Mathieson does get an offer to move, maybe 2 years somewhere. Suddenly Dev is our next in line, maybe battling with Tunstal and waiting for younger Ashcroft to arrive. He may just get an offer from the lions thats not so bad, still might not guarantee continuous senior footy but with a few out of the race and close to equal money he may stay - given none of the WA clubs took him in his draft year so they must have saw something.
He is not one of Fagan’s Favourites.

yep, it is very hard to police correctly - the media opportunities are pretty easy as a player would get paid directly by the likes of channel 7 so i don't have an issue with that. Just consider us at the Lions, Dunkly signs a long term contract and then we sign his brother to a reserve grade contract. Rayner has a contract coming and then Rayner's brother also get a reserve grade contract. We can easily argue that is managing the 'go home' factor, but is it. Lachie Neal moves into a new house in Springfield and argues it's for his growing family - all true - but do we think that was a full price home and a full price build, maybe. Anything paid directly to a player, or a players company that is claimable on tax, I think they get found out. Yep it's the indirect benefits that may well be available especially in the big clubs with more sponsors and supporters and no AFL involvement that can make the offers that are not taxable.
Back in the day IIRC Eddie offered JB $1m pa plus $1.5 pa for "media".

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Can honestly say I’ve never read that on here. The only threads I generally don’t read every posts are the match day thread, once the game kicks off, and the post-mortem thread.
I have (and clearly didn't forget it). I'll let you join the dots.......

FWIW, I read most threads on here (rarely post any more), but try and steer well clear of the match day threads. There's bad enough calls on preview threads (check the ones for this game with the proposed changes as exhibit A), let alone more emotive comments during the game.

I'd rather be emotive in front of the TV or at the game!

Only that it looks like the original response has been removed, and this one is in it's place???

Wouldn't have to do with searching one's posting history by any chance? :think:
Nah, I came up with a response I was happier with. The DELETE and EDIT functions can be your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back