Preview Round 5, Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree . I was disappointed that we lost ,obviously , but we were robbed against GWS who went on to make the GF . Against Richmond we were competitive ,a couple of little things went against us and partly due to inexperience dropped off our workrate . In the end they outclassed us with more precise foot and hand skills and excellent execution . We just weren't good enough.

It's all very well to say we need to do this or that but you need the cattle to execute systematically and the experience and physicality to do it consistently. We're doing fairly well with what we've got and seem to be working towards improving our list and their abilities.

Just MHO. We weren't robbed v GWS. We lost because we repeatedly bombed to their large backs.

V Richmond, we were largely competitive, but lost it, as you write, to better foot skills and delivery. And, lacking any realistic alternative, an over reliance on Charlie who was comprehensively towelled up by an experienced back who applied hard, often illegal pressure. A lesson that any competent finals opposition will have absorbed.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I am disappointed in Hipwood's lack of development. Accepting that due to his body shape he is never going to be a power hard marking KPF, then what is he going to become? The running role he has doesn't regularly enough result in goals. He is often too far out. We don't need a Tex [heaven forbid] but we DO need another reliable avenue. Charlie [who to my eye may have begun to believe his PR- what the hell was that ridiculous around the corner kick 25m out all about?] won't always do the trick.

We have the best player in the AFL in Neale, and a group of other A Graders not far behind [Berry, McCluggage, Lyons etc]. We need to build on this. Just MHO.

I get the frustration around our KPF not kicking consistent 'bags' of goals (or even 3+), however I think many Brisbane supporters are probably still in the mindset of where we were a couple years ago - we are clearly a top 4 side (or there abouts) for the second year.. our game style works, and with some straight kicking in the finals last year we are playing a home prelim (at the very least a prelim in Melbourne).
Much like Rayner, many of our players are asked to play a specific role which robs chances of individual brilliance.. Cameron is the only forward we consistently target 1 v 1; McStay, Hipwood, McCarthy & Rayner bob up here and there but more so buy in to a team ethos. I think Robbo's Instagram acknowledgement of Rayner's 50 games was quite telling (praising him as a team man and unselfish), and while i (and we all) would love to see some of our forwards start turning it on consistently, i think our expectations need to be tempered as this isn't changing anytime soon.

Long term i hope this changes, however our focus has to be on win now, as we've seen sides like Melbourne & WB fall away as quickly as they've ascended (granted dogs won a flag).

That all being said, i think we win by 2-3 goals and Hipwood kicks 4.

Go Lions
I think we can make some small adjustments In the forward line that will make a big difference (see above).

I know a lot's been said about our inaccuracy against Adelaide, but I think accuracy is the wrong issue. Our accuracy in Q1 was fine. Mid-way through Q2 we were 5.5.35 vs 0.0.0. That's when the wheels fell off the wagon.

From there, Adelaide kicked 7.4.46 to our 5.18.48.

So the problem isn't accuracy, it's discipline. The players decided that the game was over at 35-0, and started playing for their own stats. Everyone wanted their name on the score sheet.

It's a mental problem, an attitude problem. That's the real danger to me.

Just MHO. We weren't robbed v GWS. We lost because we repeatedly bombed to their large backs.

V Richmond, we were largely competitive, but lost it, as you write, to better foot skills and delivery. And, lacking any realistic alternative, an over reliance on Charlie who was comprehensively towelled up by an experienced back who applied hard, often illegal pressure. A lesson that any competent finals opposition will have absorbed.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I am disappointed in Hipwood's lack of development. Accepting that due to his body shape he is never going to be a power hard marking KPF, then what is he going to become? The running role he has doesn't regularly enough result in goals. He is often too far out. We don't need a Tex [heaven forbid] but we DO need another reliable avenue. Charlie [who to my eye may have begun to believe his PR- what the hell was that ridiculous around the corner kick 25m out all about?] won't always do the trick.

We have the best player in the AFL in Neale, and a group of other A Graders not far behind [Berry, McCluggage, Lyons etc]. We need to build on this. Just MHO.

We lost by 3 points there were many things that could have happened differently which would've meant that we would win.

I know a lot's been said about our inaccuracy against Adelaide, but I think accuracy is the wrong issue. Our accuracy in Q1 was fine. Mid-way through Q2 we were 5.5.35 vs 0.0.0. That's when the wheels fell off the wagon.

From there, Adelaide kicked 7.4.46 to our 5.18.48.

So the problem isn't accuracy, it's discipline. The players decided that the game was over at 35-0, and started playing for their own stats. Everyone wanted their name on the score sheet.

It's a mental problem, an attitude problem. That's the real danger to me.

Or fatigue

Also our more careful ball movement was a big part of us no longer conceding 20 goals a game. Would people prefer McStay to kick more goals if it meant we were also conceding more goals on the rebound?

The Brisbane Lions Facebook account just confirmed all pledge members are in for the game but confirmation email is delayed until 7. We're all in
if anyone you know has pledged and got ticket but now cant go, please let me know. im super keen to come up and see this match of the season so far

Also our more careful ball movement was a big part of us no longer conceding 20 goals a game. Would people prefer McStay to kick more goals if it meant we were also conceding more goals on the rebound?

Sorry to be factious and/or silly but if Dan kicked six extra and the opposition kicked four extra we would all take that.

People forget that Richmond, in that final last year, kicked 18 4 if I remember correctly. If you are playing a very good team, who are that switched on, you will probably lose nine out of ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if anyone you know has pledged and got ticket but now cant go, please let me know. im super keen to come up and see this match of the season so far

Just buy a pair of tickets and take a friend from the Suns board.

Just buy a pair of tickets and take a friend from the Suns board.
I've texted all my possible to go mates the last hour and noone can make it. i understand that last week was also the same (tickets only in multiples of twos) . wonder why they are doing that? if tickets were cheaper id buy two and who cares. but two tickets is getting up to what i paid for the GWS final last year

I've texted all my possible to go mates the last hour and noone can make it. i understand that last week was also the same (tickets only in multiples of twos) . wonder why they are doing that? if tickets were cheaper id buy two and who cares. but two tickets is getting up to what i paid for the GWS final last year

You could try ringing ticketmaster and see if you can snag an individual ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back