Preview Round 5, Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tommy Berry's going to be a star. But I agree it's a big ask for him in a game like this at his stage of his career. Btw he did more than take 1 mark.

I'm worried about every game , not sure why there's so much pessimism about this one . Sure they've been going well but we've got a reasonably formidable team ourselves.

If we play to our capacity and execute well we'll be very hard to beat at the Gabba.

It hasn't been that easy to work out how any team is really going this season. We'll know more this week.
Be careful Dylan 12. Berry bashing (regardless of either one) isnt tolerated on this forum. Pick another player, go your hardest and all will be OK. ;)

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so I’m actually the direct opposite view to you on this. T Berry or Keidean for me as the Zorks replacement on this. Glad we went with the elite pressure option. His role should not be measured on possessions, at all. His pressure index / pressure acts need to be his gauge; and to be honest aside from Zorks (and Charlie when he wants to), noone else better than Tom on our list for chasing, harassing and general applied defensive forwards pressure.

On the other hand, and I know this is almost sacrilege, I think Stef’s time is almost up for us. Absolutely love the guy he is and what he’s done for our club. But he’s running on reserves IMO now, his weaknesses are ‘shining’ brighter than his strengths (disposals are a liability, poor forward 50 presence, even if he marks it, he’ll likely miss the shot). I hope I’m wrong on this one, but I would put most of our eggs in the O as lead ruck basket right now. Undoubtedly Fages loves Stef, rightfully so, so he’ll give him at least another 8 games+ to prove himself.

Again, no offence to Stef and I still love him, just not as the player he once was for us;
Steff is one of the most important pieces on our chess board. The Big O is doing OK but without Steff as our #1 ruckman, we have a huge hole unfilled. If he doesn't saddle up for another year (2021) we have serious challenge to overcome. At this stage he's good to play on in 2021 but obviously that is dependent on how he performs throughout the remainder of season 2020.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
If T Berry is being preferred over other guys already it makes me a bit concerned for these guys' futures. Mathieson was mentioned in the article in being great form in the scratch matches, same with Witherden.

If T Berry is being preferred over other guys already it makes me a bit concerned for these guys' futures. Mathieson was mentioned in the article in being great form in the scratch matches, same with Witherden.
Berry is there to replace Zorko’s pressure (as best as possible) Mathieson or Witherden are not likely to provide forward pressure anywhere near as well as Tom Berry, that’s why he is in the team.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Steff is one of the most important pieces on our chess board. The Big O is doing OK but without Steff as our #1 ruckman, we have a huge hole unfilled. If he doesn't saddle up for another year (2021) we have serious challenge to overcome. At this stage he's good to play on in 2021 but obviously that is dependent on how he performs throughout the remainder of season 2020.

I'm with you on Oscar. Despite showing a bit against Freo he will probably only ever be a solid ruck. Contested marking is great and his tackling and set shots are surprisingly effective. I think we keep him as a 2nd ruck and tall forward and look at options to replace Stef soon.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Berry will play forward and Matho is a mid and Witherden is a back. Don't see a comparison.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Carlton looked total rubbish tonight .You'd have to wonder how good Geelong are going.

Strange season.
Wouldn't agree Carlton was rubbish The Saints played very well in the first quarter with some wonderful hard leading and marking by their forwards. The sort of attractive footy I wish we could play at times. Have a look at the first quarter again.

Carlton had the better of the rest of the game but none of their big forwards , except one bloke, who put two out on the full could take a mark or get a kick.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North

We do not have enough evidence so far in this season to judge his form.

Be careful Dylan 12. Berry bashing (regardless of either one) isnt tolerated on this forum. Pick another player, go your hardest and all will be OK. ;)

Speaking of J Berry - his form has really gone to another level this year. Last year he seemed to never get consistency in his game after an interrupted pre season and then surgery. He's been very impressive.

Tom showed against the Eagles he has a long way to go.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speaking of J Berry - his form has really gone to another level this year. Last year he seemed to never get consistency in his game after an interrupted pre season and then surgery. He's been very impressive.

Tom showed against the Eagles he has a long way to go.

JBs form has been great the last couple of weeks. I'd been worried he didn't quite have that next level but he seems to be becoming more of a 4 quarter contributor.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I like Tom, but IMO, he is still a year or so off. Pushed off the ball easily and nowhere near the impact you'd expect from any of your 22.

JBs form has been great the last couple of weeks. I'd been worried he didn't quite have that next level but he seems to be becoming more of a 4 quarter contributor.

Yeah I was in the same boat. I thought he may end up a B grader and that'd be okay. If he keeps his form up and keeps consistently impacting 3-4 quarters, he could genuinely hit the potential we all thought he had, especially with his ability to kick goals when up forward.

Yeah I was in the same boat. I thought he may end up a B grader and that'd be okay. If he keeps his form up and keeps consistently impacting 3-4 quarters, he could genuinely hit the potential we all thought he had, especially with his ability to kick goals when up forward.
What he does have is the drive and desire to continually improve and not be happy with where he is at.
With he a Clugga we have 2 players that could potentially explode and take over the Competition.
A lot of players who sign long contracts tend to rest on their laurels a little, I don’t see that happening with Bez.

Got seats, as good as our season tickets seats so happy with that although my mate with his season tickets and a pledged member got absolutely crappy seats. Anyway, great to be back.
I didn’t get the best of seats for this game either.
But I am just happy to be going to the footy again.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I'm obviously based in Melbourne so haven't been following too closely (other than reading all of the posts on here), but why aren't members being allocated their usual seats / sections or as close to those seats / sections? I mean, someone is being allocated a members seat / section. When I lived up there for a couple of years, my seat was dead centre in the top stand (section 67 IIRC) and what I understand were the most expensive membership option, so I'd be pretty annoyed being allocated on the lower level behind the goals for example when someone, who may not have such a membership category is gifted seats in say that section 67. :huh:

The selection of T Berry is as much about negating the Port backline's rebound as it is his ability to impact our scoring. Hopefully he can bring that pressure to bear, don't really care about his possessions per se. He is no Zorko.

I’ve got the best seat at mum’s. Next to the coffee table where she keeps the remote controls. There’s space for my coffee (coaster mandatory) and a plate from my three Tina Wafers. As of 10.00am, mum’s is sold out.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Or WE WILL GIVE THEM a reality check
Another valid possibility, agreed. However kicking 10.23 last week against the favourites for the spoon and nearly blowing a 40 odd point lead I don't think they'll be giving one to the current premiership favourites. I think it's going to be a big test for Birchall, CEY and Ah Chee will need to continue upward trajectory with their game, but I think Gardiner, TBerry and McStay will be up on their last games and we are definitely a chance. Still think Port are a far more dangerous attack and will win by a few goals.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Another valid possibility, agreed. However kicking 10.23 last week against the favourites for the spoon and nearly blowing a 40 odd point lead I don't think they'll be giving one to the current premiership favourites. I think it's going to be a big test for Birchall, CEY and Ah Chee will need to continue upward trajectory with their game, but I think Gardiner, TBerry and McStay will be up on their last games and we are definitely a chance. Still think Port are a far more dangerous attack and will win by a few goals.

Is losing to one of the current premiership favourites a 'reality check'?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I realise Oscar's ruckwork isn't yet at the level that you would want a No 1 ruck , but considering his age ,his work ethic,and how much he's improved since I first saw him in the NEAFL not that long ago I wouldn't think it's unlikely that he won't get to a much higher level.

Seen worse tap ruckmen than him develop into seasoned players. But in the meantime if Stef is fit and well we need him. I know we chased Ceglar in the pre season and I really don't think Archie will ever be a gun so I guess at the end of this season we'll need to execute a plan going forward for the ruck roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back