Preview Round 5, Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously based in Melbourne so haven't been following too closely (other than reading all of the posts on here), but why aren't members being allocated their usual seats / sections or as close to those seats / sections? I mean, someone is being allocated a members seat / section. When I lived up there for a couple of years, my seat was dead centre in the top stand (section 67 IIRC) and what I understand were the most expensive membership option, so I'd be pretty annoyed being allocated on the lower level behind the goals for example when someone, who may not have such a membership category is gifted seats in say that section 67. :huh:
Pretty sure it is due to social distancing as to why every member can’t sit in their exact seats.
But I agree that most would be able to sit close, you would think 🤔.
But I guess when it is a ballot done by a computer it makes it a bit hard.
Alternatively it is people sitting down and sorting memberships.cant imagine that happening in these tough times.

I'm obviously based in Melbourne so haven't been following too closely (other than reading all of the posts on here), but why aren't members being allocated their usual seats / sections or as close to those seats / sections? I mean, someone is being allocated a members seat / section. When I lived up there for a couple of years, my seat was dead centre in the top stand (section 67 IIRC) and what I understand were the most expensive membership option, so I'd be pretty annoyed being allocated on the lower level behind the goals for example when someone, who may not have such a membership category is gifted seats in say that section 67. :huh:

In a nutshell it's social distancing. In a bigger nutshell, most of those who would have pledged would be confined to a specific number of members' sections normally. How do you pick winners (get to stay in their section) and losers (could end up anywhere)? How do you optimise keeping 20,000 people within a certain distance of their usual seat? The latter is next to impossible without some kind of computer program, but no one's going to be able to whip that up in a week or two.

So I called the club and pressed 2 which took me through to the shop. The helpful staff member said there was a problem with about 300 accounts that had more than one seat requested that screwed up, and that's obviously us.

Even though the game is sold out they are going through each of those accounts and all members who pledged will receive tickets.

However, if you do not the tickets by close of business today you need to go to the ticket window at the Gabba before the game tomorrow with proof of your pledge. Maybe just your membership card to prove who you are or a screen shot of the account summary page.

There will be someone from the membership team able to transfer the tickets to your phone then.

The risk of trying to sort this out immediately before the game is there being further stuff ups and being away from home without a car and missing the game entirely.

Still, its cause for hope and the three staff members trying to sort this must be stressed beyond belief. As are we.

Last edited:
In a nutshell it's social distancing. In a bigger nutshell, most of those who would have pledged would be confined to a specific number of members' sections normally. How do you pick winners (get to stay in their section) and losers (could end up anywhere)? How do you optimise keeping 20,000 people within a certain distance of their usual seat? The latter is next to impossible without some kind of computer program, but no one's going to be able to whip that up in a week or two.
Fair enough, but would've thought even with social distancing they could keep you to within one or two sections of your seats.

But to think you could be relegated to a lower level to some crap seat while some random (be it GA member or general admin ticket) gets prime seats is pretty ordinary IMO and to be honest unfair and something which still could have been arranged pretty easily.

Anyway, not really my concern...I just won't get to any games this year based on living in this disease riddled state.:(

Yeah I was in the same boat. I thought he may end up a B grader and that'd be okay. If he keeps his form up and keeps consistently impacting 3-4 quarters, he could genuinely hit the potential we all thought he had, especially with his ability to kick goals when up forward.

Yeah, just from personal experience it takes at least a good year to fully recover from the fatigue of glandular fever. I wasn't worried about his output last year because of this. He seems to be over it now which is more than we could have hoped for to be honest..

Just around the corner
Section 66 row CC
Yes
that is awsome , not sure where 66 is but I'm happy with CC

You will be happy with 66. Right above the interchange bench.

And yes have been fortunate again have our two tickets. That makes it 3 in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, but would've thought even with social distancing they could keep you to within one or two sections of your seats.

But to think you could be relegated to a lower level to some crap seat while some random (be it GA member or general admin ticket) gets prime seats is pretty ordinary IMO and to be honest unfair and something which still could have been arranged pretty easily.

Anyway, not really my concern...I just won't get to any games this year based on living in this disease riddled state.:(

I sit in the premium seats usually and have sat in lower tiers the last two weeks.

Will be honest, I was just really chuffed to be back at the footy again. Didn't even occur to me that I was sitting in worse seats until you brought it up.

I'm just glad to be lucky enough to watch live sport. It's something not many people in the world get to do right now.

So I called the club and pressed 2 which took me through to the shop. The helpful staff member said there was a problem with about 300 accounts that had more than one seat requested that screwed up, and that's obviously us.

Even though the game is sold out they are going through each of those accounts and all members who pledged will receive tickets.

However, if you do not the tickets by close of business today you need to go to the ticket window at the Gabba before the game tomorrow with proof of your pledge. Maybe just your membership card to prove who you are or a screen shot of the account summary page.

There will be someone from the membership team able to transfer the tickets to your phone then.

The risk of trying to sort this out immediately before the game is there being further stuff ups and being away from home without a car and missing the game entirely.

Still, its cause for hope and the three staff members trying to sort this must be stressed beyond belief. As are we.

FWIW it's not just the Lions. I had very similar issues with multiple tickets with the Giants for this weekend's games. All this stuff is happening on the fly so it's inevitable there'll be issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate is a 20 year member, has nominated to the club he will donate his season ticket and his family and mine sit together in the upper stand middle of the ground. Great seats next to the Cricketers club. He like you is now lower level, behind the goals normally where the Aus Kick kids sit. He waited until 6.30pm last night before his email arrived yet the public could buy our season ticket seats all day long - go figure that. I got over the opposite side of the ground but around the same number of rows back. Needless to say he is blowing up as no only didn't he get anywhere near his platinum member seats the general public will be sitting in them.

I agree its difficult but Platinum members who have pledged their tickets to the club should not be given tickets no where near their section or seats while the general public can buy their season ticket seats up in the best spots.

The 4 meter rule. Applies to every establishment in Qld as of lunchtime Friday. You can have your maximin capacity as long as its 1 person per 4 square meters.
Does that come into it? May be wrong, not sure it does though for stadiums. Gov just said 25K or 50% whichever is lower number under stage 3.

I agree its difficult but Platinum members who have pledged their tickets to the club should not be given tickets no where near their section or seats while the general public can buy their season ticket seats up in the best spots.
I haven't seen behind the scenes to know what's going on but how many events have you been to where some people get allocated seats and then everyone else gets arranged around them, while making sure there's a certain number of seats between them? None? Then that algorithm needs to be custom written and introduced into the ticketing system for the benefit of a small number of people, and it's not under the control of the Lions - I'm pretty sure the balloting and ticketing is being done by the ticketing company.

I appreciate that it will be frustrating. I love my normal seats and I don't think we're going to be anywhere near them, and that's in a stadium that will only be dealing with between 6k to 9k this weekend. But I work in software and I know trying to rush out new algorithms for this kind of thing on the fly is a very tricky prospect because of all the failure modes (illegal arrangements, which platinum members get close to their seats and which miss out, which will complain because they'll end up in a pocket as they get shifted around, etc).

The only real issue I can see is that I would expect platinum-level seats to go into the ballot, not the public purchase pool.

My mate is a 20 year member, has nominated to the club he will donate his season ticket and his family and mine sit together in the upper stand middle of the ground. Great seats next to the Cricketers club. He like you is now lower level, behind the goals normally where the Aus Kick kids sit. He waited until 6.30pm last night before his email arrived yet the public could buy our season ticket seats all day long - go figure that. I got over the opposite side of the ground but around the same number of rows back. Needless to say he is blowing up as no only didn't he get anywhere near his platinum member seats the general public will be sitting in them.
I feel for those in your situation. Just like when we get first crack at finals seats only for them to reserve a lot of better position seats for when general sale was on. Why I had no hesitation at getting a refund. Hope they get it fixed asap so people can sit where they paid for. Amount of empty stadiums I've sat in in last 10 years only to be used as fill from the back.

Sorry mate, I felt guilty bragging about the seats, after ready yours and others not getting tickets.
We all thought we 'd all get in at the end of the day.
Good luck , hopefully no hick ups tomorrow.
get there early as possible.

Lol all good.

Working toward my inner zen space. As Fagan would say it’s a learning opportunity, and the silver lining is I’ve learnt I’m old and cranky.

Speaking as (presumably) another platinum member - these statuses don't appear to mean squat to the club. We pay the same yearly fees, we (usually) get a membership pack with the exact same items inside - just a different colour for the lanyard and pin. The only other thing that differs us from the Bronze, Silver and Gold tiers is the packaged discount voucher for the shop - and the only place you can redeem that is where you have to spend more money with the club. The last time I got something from the club that recognised my platinum status was that once-off 20 year member jumper a few years back with my name printed into it - which is frigging awesome, but also something I had to specifically buy from the club to be a part of.

My point being that with all that said they wouldn't start prioritizing us for seating out of the blue now. Especially when the admin staff numbers has taken a hit and they're now suddenly having to not just host games, but come up with a totally different seating allocation and ticketing distribution.

But just in case someone at the club is reading this - yes it would be nice to be recognised a bit more for the continued loyalty. ;) Pretty sure this year is my 32nd or 33rd continuous year with the Bears/Lions...

Ended up getting tickets allocated from the ballot around 11am this morning. Section 40 Row JJ, directly opposite where we usually sit.

Berry is there to replace Zorko’s pressure (as best as possible) Mathieson or Witherden are not likely to provide forward pressure anywhere near as well as Tom Berry, that’s why he is in the team.
Matho provides great pressure and is a goal kicker...I think he has a lot to offer and is, like T Berry, as hard as nails. Not sure exactly why he is out of favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back