Preview Round 5: Brisbane vs Essendon, Gabba, Saturday 17/04/2021 @ 7:25 PM AEST

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the winner is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of Brisbane fans of the opinion that they’re going to thrash us.

Think they’ll be rather surprised if we continue the same form we’ve had the past two weeks.

EDIT: Should mention that this is the consensus I’ve seen on social media, not so much on BigFooty

Think they’ll be rather surprised if we continue the same form we’ve had the past two weeks.

Are they really? That’s surprising.

Not saying we’ll win, but the level of pressure and effort Essendon are applying doesn’t make them easy beats at the moment.

Particularly as we have an 8 day break to refresh.

You obviously do not see what he does all that well.

Well he played a full 17 games last year and finished 9th in the best & fairest. That's 9th in a very ordinary side as voted by the coaches. That's one spot below Devon Smith last year who didn't exactly have his greatest year and got tossed around from spot to spot.
So I wouldn't say he's a world beater but he's alright - decent fringe player.

Well he played a full 17 games last year and finished 9th in the best & fairest. That's 9th in a very ordinary side as voted by the coaches. That's one spot below Devon Smith last year who didn't exactly have his greatest year and got tossed around from spot to spot.
And that proves what ?
No on is saying he is a star but he is one who provides pressure every week. He is constant at what he does and we need those who are consistent week in and week out with their forward pressure.

So were a lot of St Kilda supporters last week......

Just for the record - Hibberd got dropped after a 12 tackle game last year.
11 tackles for Snelling didn't result in a single free kick either. You can't always judge tackles by pure numbers alone. Some tackles really change the flow of the game, others barely register.
Only 13 touches and no scores. He's not undroppable on that effort.

3 tackles inside 50 is elite numbers, tackles don’t have to result in a free kick or even a turn over to be effective, the pressure is enough to slow the opposition’s ball movement and cause indecision, it gives us time to set up behind the ball.

Our gamestyle matches up well against Brisbane so I think it'll be close depending on how the young guys pull up.

Brisbane struggle against pressure sides that like to handball and run in waves. It's why they lose to Bulldogs and Richmond.
Sydney and Essendon adopted the same way of playing this year and Sydney thrashed them at home.

I don't think we'll win, but hopefully we can keep it within 15 points.

They were second or third ‘favourites’ for the flag before the season began... with their new pin up boy joining the club.

They are currently 1-3 with a percentage of 85%.

If I was a Brisbane fan, I would just be hoping for the win... and putting aside any thoughts of a thrashing for the moment.

Apart from a shocking 3rd Quarter against Hawthorn and a dismal 1st Quarter against Port Adelaide, we’ve been super competitive.

We will still have a couple of ugly losses throughout the season but I would be surprised if Brisbane is one of them.

I'd be surprised if we got thrashed. Brisbane aren't going that well right now.
I also don't think Brisbane have the worst matchups for us individually either compared to say a Bulldogs team.

BZT vs Daniher and Francis vs Hipwood should be alright. Even if they win the contests there's always the chance they kick poorly.
Hind vs Cameron is as good as you could ask for although he has a good record against us but is down on form in general this year.

Neale is only half going right now - I'd like to see Merrett head to head to exploit him whilst he's playing hampered by his back but we'll see.
Might be something like Parish vs Lyons. Could be a good matchup there.

I'm curious to see how young Cox will go against McLuggage or Robinson. Realistically they should have him covered but Cox has exceeded expectations so far very early into his career.

Harris Andrews vs Hooker is probably a bad matchup for us as Hooker struggles if he can't outmuscle his opponent. But if he can at least stop Andrews from impacting our other forwards that might be enough.

After this round, we travel 3 times in 17 games. Not too bad. Our back half of the season is a lot kinder than our start.

One caveat here is that's assuming that COVID doesn't mess up the fixture for us. If we were in the hunt for a flag this year you wouldn't want to do all your travelling early as there's a risk your state goes into lockdown and you lose your home games in favour of neutral or unfavourable venues.
But that's all out of everyone's control anyway so just hope it doesn't happen.

Bit worried we might get blown away. Brisbane at home in what's just about a must win game for them...if Sheedy were coach of Brisbane he'd be talking all week about how it's a mini elimination final and they'd come out breathing fire like he used to do with us. Massive test, but looking forward to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just stop please.

3 interstate games in the first 5 rounds is a bloody tough ask. Happy to lose provided the effort is there.
You're the reason we continue to fail.

You're the reason we continue to fail.

The reason we continue to fail is we've spent two decades of draft chips drafting players without physical advantages over the majority of the competition. We've got a few right in Jones, Cox and Perkins and it's gotten positive pretty quickly.

Bit worried we might get blown away. Brisbane at home in what's just about a must win game for them...if Sheedy were coach of Brisbane he'd be talking all week about how it's a mini elimination final and they'd come out breathing fire like he used to do with us. Massive test, but looking forward to it.
We should be fine as long as we don't treat it like an elimination final. Everyone needs to remember it's just a home and away game.

The reason we continue to fail is we've spent two decades of draft chips drafting players without physical advantages over the majority of the competition. We've got a few right in Jones, Cox and Perkins and it's gotten positive pretty quickly.
I mean I didn't actually think it was Dero

I mean I didn't actually think it was Dero

I get it’s a joke. Treating it seriously though; as it’s an interesting and common accusation that the attitude of clubs is directly proportional to their success as opposed to the quality of their players.

If all ready I'd be picking Phillips, Ambrose and Redman for Wright, Bzt and an unlucky Guelfi. No reason Ambrose can't do occasional ruck work, Stringer or Hooker when forward considering your allowed to grab the ball and run now.

If all ready I'd be picking Phillips, Ambrose and Redman for Wright, Bzt and an unlucky Guelfi. No reason Ambrose can't do occasional ruck work, Stringer or Hooker when forward considering your allowed to grab the ball and run now.
I wouldn’t think Ambrose would be right yet; just played his first minutes in 2 years or so.

Though, if he is, I agree with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back