Prediction Round 5: Changes Vs Essendon + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Vanirsen? Where is he now actually - on the subi league side?
He left with a few other players last year and has now gone back. He's playing ressies tomorrow. I've watched him since juniors and seems to lift himself to whatever level he's playing. Lets see how he goes over the next few weeks. Knows how to get the ball and is a very good kick of the footy.

He left with a few other players last year and has now gone back. He's playing ressies tomorrow. I've watched him since juniors and seems to lift himself to whatever level he's playing. Lets see how he goes over the next few weeks. Knows how to get the ball and is a very good kick of the footy.
Played for Kingsway last year didn't he?

A lot of the media are starting to pump us up as a quality outfit. We better not disappoint this weekend. Let’s confirm we are on track to being the team that all freo fans want and that’s a successful one. We need to win this by at least 3 goals. None of this nail biting stuff. ⚓

A lot of the media are starting to pump us up as a quality outfit. We better not disappoint this weekend. Let’s confirm we are on track to being the team that all freo fans want and that’s a successful one. We need to win this by at least 3 goals. None of this nail biting stuff. ⚓
Without fail the last few years - every time the media pump us up we turn to absolute horse manure the next game.
* I really hope it’s different tomorrow

I agree with you that it has been great to see Nod play so well. However I always struggle to understand the concept that players have to play afl to develop. Most haven’t played against men and WAFL will give that experience. They would all have plans about how they need to play and what has to be improved.

We often see players come out of state league to afl and play well very quickly, Michael Barlow, Luke Ryan, Time Kelly. They developed well in the state leagues.

I think there is great value in playing finals, testing our game plan against the best in tough meaningful matches. Playing the youth to get games into them and deferring those experiences seems to me to be counter productive.

Why is getting games into the youth so highly regarded.

I think the comparison here is less about Fyfe or Mundy than it is about guys like Banfield and Tucker.

I think we get more value out of a middling game from O'Driscoll or Erasmus, knowing that there's a direct benefit in investing games in both of them, then we do giving games to guys who are never going to rise above middle of the road.

The anxiety is starting to set in.

This is the exact scenario of the past 3-4 years we have failed every time.

Couple of promising wins, encouraging signs from young players but ultimately rising expectations and complacency in Fremantle supporters, coupled with minor selection dramas (Banfield in and Logue out) and playing the perfect middle-of-the-road Victorian team who's primed to play a belter against us and then fade into obscurity. Plus more people from the Eastern States watching cos nothing else is on and remembering 'O yeah I forgot Freo existed and lol they're getting pantsed let's jus forget them again'.

110 percent the exact conditions we fall like a barrel of puke and unleash on our passengers and senior players without any gusto or drive. We speculate that JL isn't the right coach and JG showed more in just two outings.

OR - it doesn't go to script.

We beat them because we are getting better, we have more naturally players, we have a confident cohesive backline and a developing forward and midfield. Banfield won't be great but he'll do enough, Noddy and Walker and Switta are the real deal and Serong will lift the engine room and we will knock off those pretenders and the navy Blue pretenders next week also.

This mental magic hoodoo jiggery should do the trick thank me later. :thumbsu:

I think the comparison here is less about Fyfe or Mundy than it is about guys like Banfield and Tucker.

I think we get more value out of a middling game from O'Driscoll or Erasmus, knowing that there's a direct benefit in investing games in both of them, then we do giving games to guys who are never going to rise above middle of the road.
NOD has shown more goal nous and game awareness in 3 games then what some of the middle of the road players have shown in there careers.

Couple of promising wins, encouraging signs from young players but ultimately rising expectations and complacency in Fremantle supporters, coupled with minor selection dramas (Banfield in and Logue out) and playing the perfect middle-of-the-road Victorian team who's primed to play a belter against us and then fade into obscurity. Plus more people from the Eastern States watching cos nothing else is on and remembering 'O yeah I forgot Freo existed and lol they're getting pantsed let's jus forget them again'.

110 percent the exact conditions we fall like a barrel of puke and unleash on our passengers and senior players without any gusto or drive. We speculate that JL isn't the right coach and JG showed more in just two outings.

We beat them because we are getting better, we have more naturally players, we have a confident cohesive backline and a developing forward and midfield. Banfield won't be great but he'll do enough, Noddy and Walker and Switta are the real deal and Serong will lift the engine room and we will knock off those pretenders and the navy Blue pretenders next week also.

Here's hoping, SB. All I can think is "Don't drink your own bathwater - don't drink your own bathwater" as the scenario you paint is all too familiar.

Freo: Just. Get. the Job. Done. No bathwater. Not a sip.

Great thanks now I won’t sleep.

You talk about selection integrity, but Erasmus has been in the 22 ahead of Banfield, and that has now been switched for no good reason. Erasmus didn't need to be "brilliant" to hold his spot and the best place for him to learn is at AFL level. He played two decent games and choosing Banfield over Erasmus is bizarre to me.

And I don't care for treating Serong/Erasmus and Schultz/Banfield as separate selections, as Erasmus is a better forward option than Banfield.
On what have you based this assessment. It is clearly midfielder out for midfielder in etc.. Not sure on what we have seen that Erasmus is A clearly better forward than Banfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lid will be well and truly off for me if the boys get the win tomorrow. as StingBitten mentioned above, the Freo of the last 4-5 years would lose tomorrow by about 6 goals and never be in the contest. this is a massive chance to prove that we're legit. here's hoping they take it

On what have you based this assessment. It is clearly midfielder out for midfielder in etc.. Not sure on what we have seen that Erasmus is A clearly better forward than Banfield?
He would just need to get the ball three times and dispose of it effectively to a teammate to surpass Banfield contribution v st kilda.
5 disposals and 3 turnovers. I think we can assume Neil would better that effort without much fuss

Must win game, 4-1 really sets up a decent crack at making the finals. Happy they've backed the structure of 2 x legit key defenders, although feel Logue is very unlucky.

A poor performance from Banfield could see his papers stamped, but feel he is the obvious like for like replacement for Schulz whilst Sturt is out. Erasmus to Sub and we're set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back