Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for the experts to explain where the players of a soccer team start from?
They literally are not allowed to start on the offensive side of the half-way line, wasnt your best analogy. Every player must start in their defensive half

Goodness, you had to go to the player most likely the 22nd picked for the side to get an example. Yeah in a young side he has gone for players with strong physical presence in that example. Anyway you look at it all three of those players are on our list with a decision to be made at some not too distant date about their future. I suspect all three of those players make similar "effort" to each other. What Hughes probably does that gets him preferred at the moment is unlikely to have much to do with that, and may have more to do with his physical aggression or his pressure skills. That type of thing. Most assume they are keeping a seat warm for the highly skilled and nippy Carter.

I don't think the coach is a teacher, and I have my doubts that you can teach football skills at the top level. We are talking about the elite talent in the competition here. I think it is more accurate to think of the coach in AFL in a similar role as a film director or orchestra conductor than a teacher. The talent arrives with skills and they are instructed about what their roles are etc. There may be some skills development, but it is not the fundamental role of the coach. Especially basic things like disposal. Pressure skills, skills related to strategy, decision making, positioning, body on body work; perhaps these are skills that can be taught and trained for, but the best skills training is match sims and playing isn't it?
I argue the threesome is a good example because they are of similar ability and play a similar position. One has good skills and solid decision-making, the other has tidy skills and good decision-making and the third has poor skills and decision-making and the third with poor skills and decision-making was the one chosen. It was a definite voluntary selection whereas most of the others are dictated by level of talent and the gap to the next below them.
The more a skill is practiced the more it becomes automatic, throwing in issues like baseline talent and individual differences in deterioration of skill when practice is not continued.

That ll be right. Hogan at CHB. Heh. Another high profile trade meant for the forward line, only to be pushed to the backline for team balance and/or individual. *cough* Tarrant Croad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am thinking that this Jesse Hogan thing is a deflection tactic. Most likely to the media, create a nothing story for the week. The media is going to keep comparing him to Pavlich and the number of contested marks, and goals he kicks which is stupid because you could compare Hogan to any key forward at any time. The truth is he is a good contested mark, with a good engine and he is a decent kick.

I think we would all agree that we are less of a side without him (compared to the last 3+ years (and Lobb)). We see McCartney playing his best footy ever, Taberner is stepping up from his limited impressive form last year *sorry to those that are still punching to drop him!

So would you play him back? Maybe if it was looking like a 100 point loss, sure put all the cattle in the back paddock and fence them in - avoid those horrible losses - that was one of the goals this year - bring the bad losses to a lower losing margin. The quality they have with the form Cameron sends a shiver down my spine, but I think if we can match it with the Eagles, we should be able to get a similar return against GWS. I think they do drop off in legitimate quality players - much like us ( but they run quite a bit deeper).

Does it mean we are looking at a permanent move for Hogan back -not at all. It could be for one quarter, it could be for a half. This is nothing new in any team in any era. Nothing to see here.

I am thinking that this Jesse Hogan thing is a deflection tactic. Most likely to the media, create a nothing story for the week. The media is going to keep comparing him to Pavlich and the number of contested marks, and goals he kicks which is stupid because you could compare Hogan to any key forward at any time. The truth is he is a good contested mark, with a good engine and he is a decent kick.

I think we would all agree that we are less of a side without him (compared to the last 3+ years (and Lobb)). We see McCartney playing his best footy ever, Taberner is stepping up from his limited impressive form last year *sorry to those that are still punching to drop him!

So would you play him back? Maybe if it was looking like a 100 point loss, sure put all the cattle in the back paddock and fence them in - avoid those horrible losses - that was one of the goals this year - bring the bad losses to a lower losing margin. The quality they have with the form Cameron sends a shiver down my spine, but I think if we can match it with the Eagles, we should be able to get a similar return against GWS. I think they do drop off in legitimate quality players - much like us ( but they run quite a bit deeper).

Does it mean we are looking at a permanent move for Hogan back -not at all. It could be for one quarter, it could be for a half. This is nothing new in any team in any era. Nothing to see here.
But it’s only Jeremy Cameron. Hogan going back is a defensive lost cause. Hughes can take Himmelberg. We have a spare defender. I was worried significantly more about West Coast’s Forward line. Not only did Hamling go down, Freo managed to recoup and did impressive.

GWS, yes are a great team. But we play the same way we did the last three quarters, albeit kick straight, then that ll get the job done. Surely we would double team Cameron. Need to be mindful of their smalls more then their talls. I back Pierce to do a job on him. It’s not all lost cause without Hamling.
Imagine if hogan did play HB. 95% of the Freo faithful would lose their minds.

Cameron and Greene are great players. Himmelberg will be a great player. But the real danger with GWS is their ball movement through the midfield.
This is a classic situation where if our midfield doesn't defend well then it really doesn't matter who we have at CHB, we are in for a world of pain.
I'd prefer to focus on our game and keep trying to move the ball quickly. That means keeping our best tall players ahead of the ball.

But it’s only Jeremy Cameron. Hogan going back is a defensive lost cause. Hughes can take Himmelberg. We have a spare defender. I was worried significantly more about West Coast’s Forward line. Not only did Hamling go down, Freo managed to recoup and did impressive.

GWS, yes are a great team. But we play the same way we did the last three quarters, albeit kick straight, then that ll get the job done. Surely we would double team Cameron. Need to be mindful of their smalls more then their talls. I back Pierce to do a job on him. It’s not all lost cause without Hamling.
Imagine if hogan did play HB. 95% of the Freo faithful would lose their minds.
You’re forgetting Finlayson.

He’s a 196cm defender who has morphed into a world of hurt forward after only four games.

Cameron and Greene are great players. Himmelberg will be a great player. But the real danger with GWS is their ball movement through the midfield.
This is a classic situation where if our midfield doesn't defend well then it really doesn't matter who we have at CHB, we are in for a world of pain.
I'd prefer to focus on our game and keep trying to move the ball quickly. That means keeping our best tall players ahead of the ball.

I didn’t see the game, was this how WC owned them?

Technically Croad was meant for the backline and pushed forward.
And who with any football nous would regret the move of a none performing Tarrant in the forward line to become a weapon in the backline?

Add to that the utter lack of relevance given they are the best part of a decade ago.

The afl is suggesting Cox would be a player worth targeting for other clubs, would be good to get him in the side sooner than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back