Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, JJ was just the first name that popped into my head.
GWS have one, don't they? Young bloke, doing ok these last few rounds, can't remember his name.
Also, can anyone control a Betts? :p

Anyway, point is we don't have a replacement for Spurr unless we go all tall.
List of medium/small players who can play Spurr's position;

Tucker, Hughes, Ibbotson, Weller, Crozier, Grey, Sutcliffe, Duman, Ryan, Logue, Sheridan and Nyhuis.

I didn't notice it to be honest. He had one which resulted in a McCarthy goal (?) I think where he was pushed as he was kicked but he got the ball back.

Otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First quarter running into the 50 no pressure 2 players free he mungs it straight onto the chest of the only defender in sight. Later in Q1 he turns it over with a loopy high ball coming out of defense.
For starters.

I don't think personally attending a WAFL game gives you any particular insight over and above what the coaches and stats say personally.

Salim said Crozier was ordinary and shouldn't come in too. Was wrong about that. Is probably wrong about a lot of things.

Yep most of us are wrong some of the time but you are wrong most of the time.;)

Grey had the most tackles of any player on our team and provides unbelievable pressure and intensity. Wasn't his best game and did miss a kick or two but has been crucial the past two weeks in our turn around. No changes again for mine as I think this team needs to continue to gel and they will keep getting better.

Thought Balic was quite good and will continue to get better with experience and Logue too who will be a player. Hughes got better as the game went on and is worth persisting with. Sheridan wasn't flash but still did enough to keep his spot.

First quarter running into the 50 no pressure 2 players free he mungs it straight onto the chest of the only defender in sight. Later in Q1 he turns it over with a loopy high ball coming out of defense.
For starters.
Yeah I think he had like 3 clangers from 6 disposals or something - which in isolation seems pretty terrible. But I wouldn't underestimate the impact of his pressure. He set the standard in round 3 and topped the pressure acts and tackles in rd 4. That 3rd quarter come back was built on forward 50 pressure and Grey was a big part of that. I'm not sure he is the ideal small forward, just like I'm not certain Hughes will make it as an AFL half back but we should back them in, accept they're going to make mistakes, and give them a decent run at it. You couldn't question any of our player's effort in the past two games which you couldn't say for most of those playing for Peel atm. I'm sure the coaches are on to all the bits and pieces that need improving ready for next week. If anything I think we need to remind other players they need to share the pressure load and do it for 4 quarters - Walters, Langdon, Balic and even Crozier could have applied far more pressure than they did. And if they did, I think we would have won by more.

Spurr is starting to look cooked. I think this is his last season. He has been left for dead in straight line pace since his career began. But he's made up for it winning one on one contests and taking intercept marks. This seems to be happening less often nowadays. The pace at which teams are able to move the ball around has increased since his career began. Most defenders and forwards have incredible straight line pace. I hope he can turn it around as a leader, but his form to date has been bottom 4-6. I'd stick with him for a few more rounds. But if Lindsay (1 year too long) manages to kick a bag. That would be it for me.

Interesting thing with spurr is that he is in the leadership group and i cant remember ross dropping any player thats been in the leadership group since he has been at fremantle. That doesn't make him untouchable but spurr will probably get more leeway in terms of selection because of his leadership.

Having watched a replay I'm not sure how long Greys ferocity & effort can justify his terrible disposal. I'm loving what he brings in energy & I'm sure it's been a catalyst out on the field but his kicking is straight out bad a lot of the time

If we only bring in young players when they are the "complete package" then we best send Hughes, Balic and Logie back to WAFL too.

If we are going to call for the kids to be played let's support them too. Last week Brady was a world beater, now after one down game disposal wise we are on his case?

Show some faith and you will be rewarded, this guy will be a cult figure for us.

No changes, pending S. Hill's injury status

Watched the replay, Hughes had a few brainfarts but by an large was pretty solid. Balic is building towards something special.

Would like to get Tucker back into the team at some point, hard to squeeze him in as it currently stands.

First quarter running into the 50 no pressure 2 players free he mungs it straight onto the chest of the only defender in sight.

That was Blakely wasn't it?

Or did we manage to do it twice?

I've changed my tune a little bit since last night. North are beatable but they've hit the panic button and need to get their season back on track with a win over in Perth. They'll hit us with everything they've got. We're 2 and 2 and our season is still in the balance.

I think we need to make a tactful change and look at bringing in Tucker or Collins for Logue. Big Griff will get further opportunities but maybe a stint in the WAFL to keep building form and confidence.

If Hill or Walters are sore is still bring in one of those guys. We need some composure in defence - and leaking 15 goals against North will probably mean we lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've changed my tune a little bit since last night. North are beatable but they've hit the panic button and need to get their season back on track with a win over in Perth. They'll hit us with everything they've got. We're 2 and 2 and our season is still in the balance.

I think we need to make a tactful change and look at bringing in Tucker or Collins for Logue. Big Griff will get further opportunities but maybe a stint in the WAFL to keep building form and confidence.

If Hill or Walters are sore is still bring in one of those guys. We need some composure in defence - and leaking 15 goals against North will probably mean we lose.
I hope your wish come true by bringing those players in .

this guy will be a cult figure for us.
Dunno about Brady becoming Jimmy Morrison but all the player/list management shite dictates that at this stage of club and Brady evolution,he plays for 6+ games so he can develop and we can see if it's there or not.Serendipitous really,Ballas missing Brady in.
I hope it's there.

Dunno about Brady becoming Jimmy Morrison but all the player/list management shite dictates that at this stage of club and Brady evolution,he plays for 6+ games so he can develop and we can see if it's there or not.Serendipitous really,Ballas missing Brady in.
I hope it's there.
Me too. Ballas is my buddy but I sincerely hope we have a replacement for him. Grey looking the goods, but he has some way to go.

At seasons end, if I can say Ballas was displaced by someone who could fill his shoes, I'll do just that and I'll be damned glad to do it.

... You're as pissed as I am, aren't you :)

List of medium/small players who can play Spurr's position;

Tucker, Hughes, Ibbotson, Weller, Crozier, Grey, Sutcliffe, Duman, Ryan, Logue, Sheridan and Nyhuis.
I'll simplify it

Tucker -Being used as a midfielder
Hughes - no
Ibbo- is an intercept marking defender who usually plays tall
Crozier - being used as an effective forward
Grey - midfielder/forward
Sutty - ew no
Duman - skinny af, untried, no chance you play him on gun small forwards yet
Ryan - intercept and rebounding defender, not an actual defender
Logue - still learning the game, wouldn't be doing that just yet
Sheridan - no
Nyhuis - after a few more WAFL games, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a gig, probably the only small defender we have developing

the young guys like grey,Hughes,logue,balic are going to make errors they have only played a few games. It's something they will fix after they get used to the fast paced game of afl. You can't expect them to be perfect after only playing a couple of games each. The ones we should be looking at making errors are the senior players that have played 100 games for example not the young ones that are making more of a effort and trying their best out on the ground

I'll simplify it

Tucker -Being used as a midfielder
Hughes - no
Ibbo- is an intercept marking defender who usually plays tall
Crozier - being used as an effective forward
Grey - midfielder/forward
Sutty - ew no
Duman - skinny af, untried, no chance you play him on gun small forwards yet
Ryan - intercept and rebounding defender, not an actual defender
Logue - still learning the game, wouldn't be doing that just yet
Sheridan - no
Nyhuis - after a few more WAFL games, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a gig, probably the only small defender we have developing
The post was in response to someone saying we have no options other than Spurr. That just isn't true.

Tucker: recruited off the back of his work as a rebounding defender.
Hughes: virtually playing an identical role to Spurr already.
Ibbotson: see Hughes.
Crozier: going good in the forward line right now but this is about options so refer to his games in the backline last year.
Grey: ask Chad Wingard if he reckons he's an option for back pocket.
Sutcliffe: plays the exact same position as Spurr. Worse defender better skills.
Duman: not realistic atm but is still theoretically an option.
Ryan: 'Rebounding defender but not a defender'. Odd statement. Better version of Sutcliffe hopefully.
Logue: speed and agility are probably the most important attributes required to shut down a small forward and I'd imagine Logue is superior to Spurr athletically in every conceivable way. Why not.
Sheridan: played there less than 2 years ago.
Nyhuis: agree.

So yeah, varying degrees of reality, but I don't accept that there are no other options.

For starters.

So a fifth gamer has 2 bad kicks and you bang on about that - why not talk about the huge defensive pressure he applies or the 2nd and 3rd and 4th efforts he gives!! Were you at the game EShed? The work that Grey does off the ball and the pressure he applies that you don't see on the TV screen is second to none! These KIDS are going to make mistakes. It is a massive step up from WAFL level and they have earnt their chance to finally be given a crack with Freo. Try building them up instead of knocking them down any chance you get. They want to improve their game just as much as you want them to and they will work damned hard to do just that. Give the kids a break!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back