Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post was in response to someone saying we have no options other than Spurr. That just isn't true.

Tucker: recruited off the back of his work as a rebounding defender.
Hughes: virtually playing an identical role to Spurr already.
Ibbotson: see Hughes.
Crozier: going good in the forward line right now but this is about options so refer to his games in the backline last year.
Grey: ask Chad Wingard if he reckons he's an option for back pocket.
Sutcliffe: plays the exact same position as Spurr. Worse defender better skills.
Duman: not realistic atm but is still theoretically an option.
Ryan: 'Rebounding defender but not a defender'. Odd statement. Better version of Sutcliffe hopefully.
Logue: speed and agility are probably the most important attributes required to shut down a small forward and I'd imagine Logue is superior to Spurr athletically in every conceivable way. Why not.
Sheridan: played there less than 2 years ago.
Nyhuis: agree.

So yeah, varying degrees of reality, but I don't accept that there are no other options.
I picked Spurr as my buddy this year because I could foresee the team playing kids, whilst a few stalwarts remained, and eventually the spotlight would be shone brightly on Mr Spurr. He's not quite our whipping boy yet... but is an obvious target once we start losing - especially if it's from some of his turnovers.

Anyway, simple fact is he's the only defender in our leadership group, which grants him immunity powers at the selection table. With Dawson voted off the island already, it leaves Spurr, MJ, and ibbo as our experienced defenders.

MJ plays tall, and could conceivably be in his last year, with AP the obvious replacement later in the year. If MJ goes down injured, Dawson or Collins would replace him. Maybe MJ plays on next year if he gets thru the year unscathed.

This leaves Spurr and Ibbo as possibly needing replacements if you believe their best footy is (a) behind them, or (b) just not good enough anymore. Spurr is 30 this year and contracted for 2018. Ibbo is 29 and out of contract this year.

Spurr seems to be going about his business as usual. Numbers are consistent (slightly up), courage undoubted, leadership acknowledged. Skills have always been so-so, and he's never been known for his pace. His intercepting is still high quality. We have a very skinny backline, so he's also somewhat of our nugget down there.

Ibbo for me has gone backwards. Numbers are down, particularly his marks. Given he's out of contract, I would imagine he's the next cab off the ranks to make way for an emerging talent. But who is that talent?

I think it's important to settle on a preferred back 6, rather than look at players in isolation. So maybe we get games into kids this year, that we see as future back 6, even if it unsettles the line up for now.

Luke Ryan should slot in nicely if he's ever not injured - intercept/rebounding defender.

Nyhuis seems a like for like replacement for Spurr - if we wanted to go that way. Better skills and slightly faster, but still mostly a lock down defender. Not a great interceptor. Rookie listed. May be a stop gap, but unlikely "an answer".

Tucker - I think we could only have one of Tucker/Weller/Crozier down back. None are natural defenders and will leak goals if isolated one on one.

Hughes - is pretty much an Ibbo clone, learning on the job at the moment. Maybe a slightly better athlete and better/quicker disposer of the ball.

Logue - been played forward and back at the moment. Covers for MJ when in the ruck. Should settle down back in the long run.

So what could our backline look like at the end of the year / next year (assuming no JJ - who I think we're into in a big way). Some options based on current list:

Spurr AP Hughes
Weller Hamling Ryan

Logue AP Hughes
Weller Hamling Ryan *my preferred

Logue Collins Hughes
Weller Hamling Ryan (AP fwd/ruck yuck)

Spurr AP Hamling
Weller MJ Ryan (back in MJ - would need to be in finals mode. Logue swing/mid)

Anyway. Many permutations. I've locked Ryan and Weller in on the flanks. Ryan needs to not be injured so we can see what he brings. Weller will need to improve his spoiling and one on one work. Do spurr and MJ make up the mix? Will Logue and/or AP ultimately settle down back. Is Collins part of future B22. Where does Cox fit into the scene. More questions than answers at this point. But fair to say Dawson and sutcliffe (and probably ibbo and maybe spurr) aren't part of the answer going forward. When do we get access to that Carter kid via the academy? Could be exciting.

Wasn't meant to be a long post haha fail. But what our future back 6 looks like, and how that shapes our B22 is fascinating.

You'd be wrong

The first was Blakely.
The second he was under pressure and the kick hit McCarthy a bit high but was spoiled

He hit McCarthy with another nice pass, kicked to a one on one to Mundy.

Got pushed as he kicked, regathered and hand balled to Mundy for McCarthy to goal. Got caught holding the ball once.

Reasonable first quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to be wrong in this case. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure this is the right place to discuss Luke Ryan , ballas,a.pearce and especially deboer as they definitely cannot come in to play against North Melbourne. As for tucker he only play 11/2 decent to average wafl football vs West Perth . After tucker drop to wafl he had not win a match for peel .

No changes.

Tucker unlucky but his time will come sooner rather than later. He can be our first emergency this week as Peel have the bye, probably would've been this week if it didn't stop him playing footy.

The amount of love Collins gets is a bit of joke tbh. I understand he's AFL capable and young but we just reverted to having two proper KPDs and Logue and the rebound from defence has lifted significantly. Collins is only slightly better with ball in hand than Dawson tbh. His time will come when MJ is injured. Brown may kick a few this week but I doubt it'll decide the game tbh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

With North being so tall and playing 2 genuine ruckmen, I think Griffin comes in. Sandi does a great job, but Johnson got destroyed by Spencer. Could give Darcy a crack, but not sure he's earned it yet at peel? Collins needs a call up too.
Logue the unlucky out, showed some signs, but it's more cause of the need for 2 rucks.

Grey, Crozier, Sheridan & Langdon need to do more this week. Kersten needs to stay involved longer too.

I'd actually love to see what Taberner could bring to the setup atm.

In - Griffin
Out - Logue

With North being so tall and playing 2 genuine ruckmen, I think Griffin comes in. Sandi does a great job, but Johnson got destroyed by Spencer. Could give Darcy a crack, but not sure he's earned it yet at peel? Collins needs a call up too.
Logue the unlucky out, showed some signs, but it's more cause of the need for 2 rucks.

Grey, Crozier, Sheridan & Langdon need to do more this week. Kersten needs to stay involved longer too.

In - Griffin
Out - Logue
Griffin is done . Offer little and struggle to cover ground vs West Perth .

Has there been any update on S.Hill's cork? I'd go Tucker for Hill if he's not right otherwise keep the same team going.

In - Griffin
Out - Logue
Can't agree with this one. I think Sandi and Griffin should never play in the same team. It leaves us too slow and teams can run off them.

If you don't like Johnno rucking I think Tabs is the only alternative until Apeness gets back.

Can't agree with this one. I think Sandi and Griffin should never play in the same team. It leaves us too slow and teams can run off them.

If you don't like Johnno rucking I think Tabs is the only alternative until Apeness gets back.

And fair enough, but my only point was that Griffin could be the only choice unless it's Taberner. Don't see Ross doing that, though I hope he does

And fair enough, but my only point was that Griffin could be the only choice unless it's Taberner. Don't see Ross doing that, though I hope he does
I just don't think winning the ruck is that important any more. With Sandi tucking we win most taps but not clearances.

Maybe we just sacrifice ruck dominance for extra pace?

He's the only option unless we bring in Taberner. Apeness is the obvious guy we want but he's injured.

Can't go into this game with Johnson having to ruck imo
I agree , I will bring tab in and take Hughes out due to technical reason rather than form. If Hughes add versatility then is different scenario.
Grey ,croz all had good experiences playing different position in wafl .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many here feel we need a second ruck against Norf. I dont. Playing too many talls will be thier downfall at Subi oval. If hill is fit...leave a winning combination intact. We are showing great run due to having more runners. Logue MJ and Hammer is enough height back to cover thier tall forwards. Sandi is as fit as he has ever been and is covering the ground for 80% of the game and in the other 20% we can afford a break even fill in from MJ or even a Logue or Kersten maybe?. What i do know is...we need to keep as many fleet footed mids as we can to run the game out as we have been doing successfully in the last two weeks.

Ibbo for me has gone backwards. Numbers are down, particularly his marks. Given he's out of contract, I would imagine he's the next cab off the ranks to make way for an emerging talent. But who is that talent?
He only had 18 metres gained on the weekend which is quite concerning. Even Dawson could beat that at times (maybe). Weller 377m, Hughes 310m, Spurr 235m, MJ 173m, Hamling 78m, even Logue had 53m. Only 8 disposals and 6 were handballs - just very little attacking from a guy who was one of the best in the AFL at that in 2015. He's had 5 intercept possessions every round this year which is good. But if he's going to play that spare defender, which I think he was at times on Saturday, you'd want more from him imo. Thought he and Spurr also got caught out defensively a few times - like neither being goal side with the ball coming in over the top. I'm actually hoping Nyhuis comes on this year. Was very solid against some quality small forwards in the WAFL last year but has height so can be more versatile. He also works quite well with Hughes, who could then maybe take Ibbo's intercepting role. It's a long shot but something I hope we look at over this season and next is:

Nyhuis Hamling Ryan
Hughes APearce Weller

with Logue and Duman in the mix also. And Collins and Cox as depth KPDs.

It's quite different to our current backline (only 3 currently there atm) but I think it possibly has the right balance of defence and attack.

He only had 18 metres gained on the weekend which is quite concerning. Even Dawson could beat that at times (maybe). Weller 377m, Hughes 310m, Spurr 235m, MJ 173m, Hamling 78m, even Logue had 53m. Only 8 disposals and 6 were handballs - just very little attacking from a guy who was one of the best in the AFL at that in 2015. He's had 5 intercept possessions every round this year which is good. But if he's going to play that spare defender, which I think he was at times on Saturday, you'd want more from him imo. Thought he and Spurr also got caught out defensively a few times - like neither being goal side with the ball coming in over the top. I'm actually hoping Nyhuis comes on this year. Was very solid against some quality small forwards in the WAFL last year but has height so can be more versatile. He also works quite well with Hughes, who could then maybe take Ibbo's intercepting role. It's a long shot but something I hope we look at over this season and next is:

Nyhuis Hamling Ryan
Hughes APearce Weller

with Logue and Duman in the mix also. And Collins and Cox as depth KPDs.

It's quite different to our current backline (only 3 currently there atm) but I think it possibly has the right balance of defence and attack.

I use to get meters gained, score inovlement, intercept possessions from my afl live account. Now the updated app doesn't have it? How do you get the data?

I use to get meters gained, score inovlement, intercept possessions from my afl live account. Now the updated app doesn't have it? How do you get the data?
Have you updated the app recently? I had problems in Rd1 but they've updated the App half a dozen times since then I think - and works for me now. I'm using it on iOS btw - haven't checked on Android.

When you pull up the stats on your AFL app. Tilt your phone on it's side (landscape) and the extra stats appear. Very dumb design but that's the AFL.

Glad we have moved on from debating Hughes. And I didn't even need to pull out my trump card - his game saving tackle that stopped a goal against and led to McCarthy's goal (so worth 2 goals to us, and the game :D)...

Just a good excuse to watch the last 2 minutes a few more times.
I'm not sure moving on to debating Grey is much better though - we need more games to assess. How about Spurr and Ibbo? I have some questions about them being part of the future based on their performances so far this year. I can't see them coming out of the team next week but I think we need more from them as senior players, and think we need to at least consider other options at some point this year.

I thought Grey was quite poor this week and I agree with Eshed in that eventually his enthusiasm will not be enough to warrant his selection ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back