Preview Round 5 - Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious.

We had scenarios on the weekend where we kicked long to Kennedy, Darling, Vardy and Allen. It’s not a competitive setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this doesn’t mean Venables just waltzed back ,I think I’m ready to see what Jarrod Cameron can do at the base of these tall guys ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Source: Adelaidenow

While Gaff’s inclusion during the JLT Series didn’t seem to have an impact, it’s been a different story so far in the regular season.
After spending 91 per cent of the first two weeks in the midfield, Freako revealed Sheed played just 49 per cent of the Round 3 game in the middle.
While Sheed still recorded 111 SuperCoach points against the Magpies, it was thanks, largely, to three important goals.
And against the Dockers in the Derby, Sheed’s midfield time was, again, limited with the 24-year-old spending 43 per cent of the game in forward-half.

Dom Sheed into Middle = IN
Dom Sheed into Forward Line = Out

While Gaff’s inclusion during the JLT Series didn’t seem to have an impact, it’s been a different story so far in the regular season.
After spending 91 per cent of the first two weeks in the midfield, Freako revealed Sheed played just 49 per cent of the Round 3 game in the middle.
While Sheed still recorded 111 SuperCoach points against the Magpies, it was thanks, largely, to three important goals.
And against the Dockers in the Derby, Sheed’s midfield time was, again, limited with the 24-year-old spending 43 per cent of the game in forward-half.

The inclusion of Gaff has made this happen but in saying that if Sheed has a game getting 3 goals and 24 possessions playing 50/50 forward mid at the G I can deal with that.

Hope this doesn’t mean Venables just waltzed back ,I think I’m ready to see what Jarrod Cameron can do at the base of these tall guys ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DV would be better than a mid though.

I’d like to see Cameron get a run sooner rather than later. Like others have said I see his output tracking the performance of others, if we get the ball in he can do enough.

Looking back to round 2 & 3 last year we had. Rioli, Ryan, Cripps, Venables, LeCras and Waterman all in the one side. That’s a lot of legs across the forward line.

At the moment we’re down to Cripps, Petruccelle and Ryan. We’ve gone and added Allen who’s getting most of his ball inside the 50, an additional midfielder and in the last two weeks another lock down defender in Rotham. No wonder we’re playing slow and conservative football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely it is worth trialling Sheed and Gaff as our 2 wingers

Masten and Sheed did very well as our 2 wingers late 2018. What would it take for this to happen?

Surely it is worth trialling Sheed and Gaff as our 2 wingers

Masten and Sheed did very well as our 2 wingers late 2018. What would it take for this to happen?
Sheed went into the guts and redden moved onto a wing in the finals tho.

His position, and other positions in the side, aren't based solely on numbers. That's very simplistic. His endurance and running patterns enable us to play our premiership-winning style. He stays.

“Running Patterns” thanks but I’d rather watch a game of football..

If running patterns (and endurance) is all it takes then train up Duggan on those “patterns” and have Schofield/Nelson/Rothman down back for Duggan
Atleast then we’d have some one who runs straight at the ball

723895F0-785F-4C18-8CA7-EA4E655F508C.gif

This is exactly what my point is. Masten has to go out so Sheed can go to the middle, Gaff to the wing. And bring in a better half fwd type like Mallen for now. But yes it will be Rioli. Im sick of saying it but Masten lovers cant see this.

You know there aren’t actually any Masten lovers right? Not one person on here thinks he’s some star. Most people just don’t think him being in the team is an unforgivable crime worth 90% of their posts.

If you’re sick of saying it, please stop saying it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if there isnt Masten lovers then how come more of you lot arent suggesting this above. It was evident that Sheed has to start in the middle and Gaff wing. Sheed is no good at HF and neither is Masten. Both Priddis like in that regard. Gaff inside and Sheed on the wing is even better thou play them to their strengths. Sheed in and Gaff accumalating running the wings. This is what is should happen when Rioli comes in anyway.

But we will probably enter the Sheed vs Masten arguement no doubt soon enough. Common sense should prevail here. We would of had this debate last season if Gaff didnt get done. The clowns on here would of most likely of picked Masten. But we have seen what he can do now on the inside.

Id love to see Masten push forward more often and kick some sausage rolls.
On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like seeing any Eagle kick goals but not sure what role you see Chris playing. Is he the crumbing forwards (Matera style) the pressure forward (Cripps) the high half forward link (Waterman), the outlet marking forward (LeCras), the highly skilled “I can do magic” half forward, or the I can run fast forward (Petruccelle or Stephens)?

I can’t see many goals coming from a corralling forward.

2012 Masto went at close to a goal a game but his role is definitely slanted more to helping the backs these days.

I think we need Masten's outlet running. Sheed isn't up to it tank wise and isn't defensively minded enough. Using Gaff to play that role is like using a Ferrari to pull a plough. Ainsworth has the tank but can't kick. Smith has the tank but will suffer in the contest like Masten due to his size.

I think Masten is holding his spot for the foreseeable future. The other options like Exxon are not ready yet.

Nelson could be perfect - size, speed, aggressive, reasonable overhead, rated a good kick internally and defensively minded but just can't seem to get his head in the game. He just turned 23, I am holding a fading hope he will come good as a late blooming role player ala Hutch.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...YaKYOQLsHrYiLiog56FgUrFDeaX7CyKJc2JrDJlAQAzgo

The fact Sheed is fighting for a spot in the midfield baffles me. He had one great game on the HFF ( V the Pies) but since he has returned to the side he plays his best as an inside mid and it is where he should be playing full time.

Masten given a task he usually does it well , examples being:

2011-2012:

After struggling to get into the side he was finally given a crack on the HHF and was handy as would rack up the ball while kicking at least a goal a game.

2013:

Was given a role in the guts. He would rack up 30+ on more occasions than not but was not overly damaging.

2015:

Similar role to 2013 but had a better year.

2018:

Played predominantly on a wing and was using his key strength and that was to use his elite run. This was handy as a link up player to help the mids when needed.

Now 2019.

He is still playing as a wingman but not getting the ball as much as he was previously. He isn't getting any younger and cant see him getting much better. Now when Gaff was out he along with Redden played the wings perfectly and allowed Sheed to come into the guts and work well with Yeo & Shuey. Now that Gaff is back Sheed is spending less time in the middle and our midfield potency inst looking as dangerous as it was last year and during the first few rounds. Sheed even mentions how we are playing one extra mid unlike last year so i think we need to revert back to that and drop Masten.

My ideal setup:

Mid: Redden Sheed Gaff

Ruck: Hickey Shuey Yeo

Thought id chuck my two bobs worth in.I think Cameron is going to be a ripper,he just moves like a real player.Mallen; beautiful kick as oft stated but id really like to see him get his hands dirty.if he could get 8-10 tackles a game hed be a shoe in.Nice kicks are not enough.Sorry guys but im not a Masten lover.The run is good and a decent kick given time; but i balance that up against being brushed aside in attempted tackles,clumsy by hand and his habit of making clangers early when the pressure is at its maximum.We won a GF with him but 5pts is not a big margin for error.Is Brander being groomed as a winger? Bit of a waste of a Rolls Royce but rather have him in than out.Can Waterman play wing? has he got the tank? You can slice and dice Venables all you like but whenever he touches the footy in AFL or WAFL he is super clean.He is also a natural forward.Its his lack of touches that count against him.I would definitely have him in my future plans.Oallen has come in on the same trajectory as Ryan;famed for great hands.Well son this is AFL and big marks are few and far between.Youve got the marks;youve got the deft touches,and now youve got the oppositions attention.Time to roll the sleeves up and do the dirty work,the one percenters.Theres people kicking the door down and you need to work,work,work.

2012 Masto went at close to a goal a game but his role is definitely slanted more to helping the backs these days.

I think we need Masten's outlet running. Sheed isn't up to it tank wise and isn't defensively minded enough. Using Gaff to play that role is like using a Ferrari to pull a plough. Ainsworth has the tank but can't kick. Smith has the tank but will suffer in the contest like Masten due to his size.

I think Masten is holding his spot for the foreseeable future. The other options like Exxon are not ready yet.

Nelson could be perfect - size, speed, aggressive, reasonable overhead, rated a good kick internally and defensively minded but just can't seem to get his head in the game. He just turned 23, I am holding a fading hope he will come good as a late blooming role player ala Hutch.

Would really like to see him given a game or two
If he falls flat, so be it, trade..

But his size and aggression etc are good finals football traits
And some players for whatever reason are more suited to afl than wafl

I guess the issue is last year, we almost always played 6 mids and 2 rucks. That meant first hutch, then sheed, and eventually gaff were the 7th mid to miss out.

This year, the problem is both sheed and hutch are lock best 22 on current form. This is in addition to gaff, yeo, shuey and redden who are locks every week.

So we essentially have 3 options:

1) Masten stays in as a 7th mid, which means unfortunately 1 of our mids spends a lot of time up forward. At this stage that’s mainly been sheed
2) We drop 1 of our 2 rucks for a forward and someone like allen pinch hits, allowing us an extra mid rotation
3) Masten is the unlucky one to be dropped for a 7th forward, such as venables

I can’t see option 2 happening, especially when Nic Nat is back. Personally, not that venables was setting the world on fire or that masten has been bad, but I much prefer option 3.

Id rather sheed goes back to a full time mid and a guy like venables takes that HFF role. A combination of our mids (primarily sheed and redden) can cover masten’s wing role

I guess the issue is last year, we almost always played 6 mids and 2 rucks. That meant first hutch, then sheed, and eventually gaff were the 7th mid to miss out.

This year, the problem is both sheed and hutch are lock best 22 on current form. This is in addition to gaff, yeo, shuey and redden who are locks every week.

So we essentially have 3 options:

1) Masten stays in as a 7th mid, which means unfortunately 1 of our mids spends a lot of time up forward. At this stage that’s mainly been sheed
2) We drop 1 of our 2 rucks for a forward and someone like allen pinch hits, allowing us an extra mid rotation
3) Masten is the unlucky one to be dropped for a 7th forward, such as venables

I can’t see option 2 happening, especially when Nic Nat is back. Personally, not that venables was setting the world on fire or that masten has been bad, but I much prefer option 3.

Id rather sheed goes back to a full time mid and a guy like venables takes that HFF role. A combination of our mids (primarily sheed and redden) can cover masten’s wing role

We have to drop a mid because i cannot see us dropping a ruck anytime soon.

With our current forward line of:

Allen Darling Mid
Ryan JK Cripps

We lack that smart forward ( Rioli) or even an in form Venables who uses that HFF role to spend time in the middle. I would rather we had that sort of player and one less mid ( Masten).

Rioli has Masten out in a short time. Im confident the selection committee wont be dropping Sheed this time. They will make the necessary jigging to midfield it requires. Even if Sheed n Gaff rotate between the inside and wings. They will get it working.

Ive just suggested until Rioli comes in we give Mallen a run for Masten. Because if Tim Kelly comes in i dont know how anyone could break into the team. Even when Masten goes out we will still have to drop a fwd or mid to get TK in. Right this minute i wouldnt like to pick a player to come out.
We certainly wont be using 1 Ruckman with a bloke named Nic Naitanui on our list.
So it will be a forward or a mid.

In a thread about team changes for a game in two days’ time, it’s important to talk about bringing in a guy currently listed as being unavailable for the next five weeks (which incidentally isn’t getting any shorter as the season goes on) and another guy who’s on another team’s list and no guarantee of ever being on ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back