Autopsy Round 5 = Collingwood 48-63 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan has killed the fluidity.
As JBrown said—-we are always to safe
It’s why we go large periods without scoring.

we can defend As much as we like but if we can’t score—-then forget about.

Go smaller—-we have Elliott, WHE, JDG, Stephenson all capable of scoring bags.
Mihocek should be only tall.

Killed it due to lack of consistency. De Goey and Elliott spending far too much time on the ball and that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul. Plus most of the team, both top and bottom, aren’t playing at their best level

A lot of passengers. Tom Phillips shits himself so badly and is a complete waste of space in the forward line. Back line was ok but looked slow with Mayne, Shaz and Varcoe - who has lost his zip. Noble has struggled but has to play. Some horror turnovers too.
Is it just me , or other than Tippa who is great value, I cannot find one redeeming feature about Essendon!
On the positive side, Maynard was great, Treloar had a sound return, and Daicos is finding some consistency.
Bad night though.

Our midfield was well beaten again

Brown boys, Wills, Phillips and WHE aren’t doing enough.

Forwards are starved of decent opportunities as we are too stagnant and handball happy in the midfield, but would still want Checkers, Cox and Elliot to show more.

Only positive for mine was Daicos

Done with Wills, Mayne, WHE, Varcoe and Cox. All fall under the slow/passenger/garbage bracket. Jamie has been rubbish this season. Got his extension and hasn't fired a shot. Really wonder about DeGoey. Obviously not the worst and had a crack but his awareness and skills have deteriorated immensely.

Geez we are looking skinny and soft. Even DeGoey is running around the ball.

We won't get anywhere with that lack of physicality. Especially when we make so many fundamental mistakes that cost goals. Last week Moore and Maynard, this week Moore, Varcoe, T Brown, Crisp. Its a plague, when we aren't the hunters, we are so prone to the horrifying error.

Also, vent of the year, why do we keep handballing backwards in wet conditions? Did we learn nothing from the Prelim last year?

Positives, Daicos was fantastic and looks a player, Stephenson was pretty good and dangerous too. And Maynard, he gets some goals kicked on him, but he was brilliant offensively.

How in the world is Stephenson pretty good??? Literally may as well play for 5 minutes a game... Kick his two goals... and then head off the ground to let his opponent run free for the rest of the game.

Unacceptable performance.

Acceptance of the unacceptable is however part of our culture at the moment.

We need to take some hard looks at our players and our coaching setup.

Given how much we have invested, in salary cap and draft picks, to assemble that midfield, it is delivering squat. I can kind of give the attack a pass as we have never invested in that area what was required to obtain quality players, the one area of the field, I might add, where quality is at a premium. It is why we rely on makeshift options to score goals, which falls apart under pressure. Our efficiency in attack is therefore woeful, and we cannot afford that.

Tell me we couldn't have got a competent KPF and at least as good a mid as Treloar from those drafts for what we have spent on Treloar and Beams? Anyone think we wouldn't be better off right now if we had gone to the draft with those picks, and kept the salary cap?

I have been saying it for some time, but I will say it again. Our midfield play without noticable system and variable effort. There is no coordination especially between ruck and clearance mids. That is on Harvey, who had the same problem at Carlton and was turfed, and StKilda who didnt fight to hold onto him. Buckley's loyalty to people not up to the task will be the end of us if allowed to continue. Harvey needs to go off the field, with Sanderson not far behind. On the field, Wills, Varcoe, Cox, Mayne need to be done. Cameron is not the answer to any question unless that question is "name me a player who can be as ineffective as Cox".
Agree, Pendles flies under the radar here. I’ll say time and again, he should be setting the standard and leading the charge on ball. He is not fit to be captain, not questioning his ability and value just his ability to lead from the front on field and by putting his body on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done with Wills, Mayne, WHE, Varcoe and Cox. All fall under the slow/passenger/garbage bracket. Jamie has been rubbish this season. Got his extension and hasn't fired a shot. Really wonder about DeGoey. Obviously not the worst and had a crack but his awareness and skills have deteriorated immensely.

DeGoey's problem is he believed the media hype before he actually achieved anything. Thinks he's Swan/Martin without putting in the body of work. Gets the ball and thinks he's untouchable, like the very first possession of the game. The bloke needs to pull his head out of his ass.

I don’t like posting after a loss bc emotions rather than thoughts tend to come out but FMD how many goal-less quarters this year?

- Sidey!
- Missing Howe
- KPF?
- Plan B or C
- Whats missing in the centre?

I’d really like CFC to use the time away to re-invigorate the 22 - to try different players, to find other options
It doesn’t mean we won’t make finals, but can we have a look at other cattle please and clearly assess weaknesses?

Interested to hear presser - I don’t want to hear “we wet away from our plans / structures - we returned to them in the last”

We used to be the most aerially proficient side in the comp. Not just talking the back six either - Phillips, Elliott, De Goey, Crisp, Hoskin-Elliott and Cox used to be so much better in the air than they are. None of em can hold a mark in any circumstance anymore.

Cox was never consistantly good in the air.

Pjillips mainly got his marks in transition or pushing fwd from wing hard on slimg shot.

WHE also got a lot of marks from pushing fwd hard into a pagans paddock style open f50.

Elliott hasn't been the same since the back.

Degoey likes to play deep as FF but so too does Stepho oy diff is Stepho struggles further up the ground.

Then there is our slow ball movement allowing oppo teams to set up in defence.

Got no crumbing types and no kpf that can take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Got no mids who are capable of consistently breaking through congestion Degoey too hit and miss as a mid atm.

I have been reading the match day thread, I do hate the comments bagging the youngsters like the Brown's. They are kids and look to the experienced players to lead the way which was not on display tonight. i agree with the comments re our elite midfield, but have been hearing the same comments for years we win the taps but don't get first use. Also what summed up the side for me tonight was Treloar's last kick straight to the opposition how long does he get a free pass for horrific disposal almost feels like a liability. I also think people are right list management wise Reid and Beams stand out as filling up spots, despite previous great service to the club. Plus coaching wise be it assistants, senior whatever we need people who have come from a winning culture, is Harvey still an assistant, what was his last winning role, and maybe we need to look outside the Collingwood bubble (re 1980s (Matthews) and 2000s(Malthouse)?

We used to be the most aerially proficient side in the comp. Not just talking the back six either - Phillips, Elliott, De Goey, Crisp, Hoskin-Elliott and Cox used to be so much better in the air than they are. None of em can hold a mark in any circumstance anymore.
When was the last time Elliott took an overhead mark? Remember the screamers he used to take? Poor bugger can't get up for them anymore.

We have so many ordinary players not up to AFL standard - T Brown (was he even playing?), Varcoe, Cox, Wills, C Brown, phillips, Mihochek and there are probably another 2 or 3 to that list.

Then we have our 'class' players who are looking second rate - Grundy, Treloar, De Goey, Adams (tonight), Crisp, Stephenson and even Moore was ordinary tonight.

The loss of Howe is significant and Sidebottom's outrageous behaviour is simply inexcusable in a veteran and vice captain.

First time I have questioned Buckley's input and impact as a coach.

Tyler wasn't alone at being missing in action tonight but what did we expect. His last 2 games have been terrible yet we picked him again . If the average bloke inthe street can see he shouldn't have been in the side tonight why can't a group of paid professionals see it? Our selections are bewildering

Agree, Pendles flies under the radar here. I’ll say time and again, he should be setting the standard and leading the charge on ball. He is not fit to be captain, not questioning his ability and value just his ability to lead from the front on field and by putting his body on the line.

Our onfield leadership is a constant problem. The only ones I rely on to lift the team onfield are Howe and Adams, and one is gone for the season and the other was mediocre tonight. I assume that was part of Buckley's insistence on hanging on to Varcoe and Mayne partly for leadership qualities but their output is not enough to balance the equation.

Did make a Comeback in last Qtr but we where nothing short of a Pathetic.

Shouldnt of got to that.
3 goals up had to keep going.

Goal umpire needs a bullet. 2 goal turn around.

Idiot who tried to switch it in the wet with 8 minutes left and 9 points in it. Play the conditions campaigner ... go long.

Anyway it was frustrating to watch. Wasted game.

DeGoey's problem is he believed the media hype before he actually achieved anything. Thinks he's Swan/Martin without putting in the body of work. Gets the ball and thinks he's untouchable, like the very first possession of the game. The bloke needs to pull his head out of his ass.

Our folly is believing that he has the capacity to pull his finger out and apply himself to achieve his potential. Not worth the money he wants and at this point I'd look at moving him on in favor of a more complete footballer.

Our forward line has really dropped off since 2018. Shambles. I’ve just been waiting for it to turn, but it’s apparent that 2018 was a flash in the pan for them.

Time to dump Cox, debut Will Kelly for all I care. Need to trade aggressively to acquire a genuine forward target.

I have been reading the match day thread, I do hate the comments bagging the youngsters like the Brown's. They are kids and look to the experienced players to lead the way which was not on display tonight. i agree with the comments re our elite midfield, but have been hearing the same comments for years we win the taps but don't get first use. Also what summed up the side for me tonight was Treloar's last kick straight to the opposition how long does he get a free pass for horrific disposal almost feels like a liability. I also think people are right list management wise Reid and Beams stand out as filling up spots, despite previous great service to the club. Plus coaching wise be it assistants, senior whatever we need people who have come from a winning culture, is Harvey still an assistant, what was his last winning role, and maybe we need to look outside the Collingwood bubble (re 1980s (Matthews) and 2000s(Malthouse)?
[/QUOT
If we were in a rebuild I would totally agree with you but we aren't.

Shiel killed us in the middle.

Our intensity tonight was not good enough.

We overused it in the wet.

We lacked overlap and run.

We have Stevo, Elliott, WHE and JDG who if they play in the forward line need to be slide to goal and can not play as high half forwards.

Time to go hardcore for a KPF or flip Mihocek with Moore. (Much harder now given Howe’s injury).

As much as I want him to be the answer and get some great accolades, I don’t think we can get enough out of Cox to win the big one- particularly if it is wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back