Toast Round 5 = Collingwood 70-64 St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we put the Q in the rack, and then once we realised the Saints had just kicked two goals consecutively, we tried to switch back into play mode, and that would be difficult to do, if you have, in a way, switched off. Plus our guys looked spent in the last 5 mins ....
They got one goal as Murphy was knocked out and another immediately after that, will be tough going next week without Murphy. People don’t understand how important he is. Our winning ways started when he settled in the 22.

Aside from Daicos who demands the ball like Ablett did from his team mates, I thought Mcreery was outstanding with a greater role tonight. Frampton, as I said last week, was the better ruck option and I thought he performed really well.

WHE, half fit and still selected, what does that tell you about how highly the coaching staff rate him. I wish the uninitiated would get off his back, played a great game today.

Mihocek, similar to Moore down back was critical again.

It was a game for the backs and they were all great, particularly Maynard and Moore.

Bobby is all class and wow does he make his possessions count.

Elliott needs to keep fit, he’s crucial.

Wilson is not a footballer. Cost us some goals with dodgy tackles and he played forward for most of the game.

Markov should get dropped hopefully. Backs can’t afford to kick so poorly.

Ginivan appeared to appease the coach with his last quarter goal. I think they flatter him when they say he does things that others can’t. Wasn’t happy that he got his spot back, but I guess he retains it now with the outs.

Ash Johnson is not a key forward, was ok at the centre bounce…I don’t think he’s good enough for finals football.

Tonight really showed why we went after McStay to create a contest seriously Miocheck can't do it all every week, that bloke gets smashed we really need to manage him better this year.

No Ruck is an issue even though I was impressed with Frampton and how he contested.

Johnson is really frustrating at times just feels like he doesn't put in the effort especially in a big contest gets out marked way to easily.

Bobby Hill has been sensational

Givv quiet that 2nd half showed us glimpse of what he can do just needs build confidence again.

Daicos boys stars
Moore incredible
Pendles great 2nd half
Mitchell did what we needed
Murphy and IQ really good

It was a pretty average game on our part we did what we had to, I'm just concerned these injuries are already setting us back, Geelong showed us anything last year was to manage players.

Pendles, Mitchell, Checkers, Cox, Elliot, Sidebottom, Moore, Adams all need to get managed and have weeks off to get through this year and be primed by finals.

Like Pendles throughout his career, people don’t seem to appreciate how clean Nick is with the ball. The cleanest in the comp imo. Had the ball on a string whilst others fumbled… and delivered well whilst others turned it over. Champion.
The only player I can think of who is similarly clean gathering the footy is Neale, but his disposal is not as nice.

When you beat the top, undefeated side in the comp and BF Pies fans be like
disappointed-disappointed-fan.gif
Who is this guy?

How good is the day after winning?

It's funny the difference 5 minutes makes. A 4 goal win felt about right, but after nearly shitting the bed it just feels like a close game that we could've easily lost. Before their last spurt, St Kilda had barely kicked 6 goals for the match. That's unbelievable, even with Ross Lyon's game plan.

I think the stinginess of our team gets overlooked due to that last quarter fade out.

Saints were really well coached today. Except other teams to follow their lead in how they set up.
Good luck to the sides that try. Adelaide oval played much more like Marvel than the MCG. It will be a lot harder to clog and restrict the wider wings of the G.

Plus until they coward struck on one our defenders and took the brakes off in a hail mary at the end the saints barely scored.

How good is the day after winning?

It's funny the difference 5 minutes makes. A 4 goal win felt about right, but after nearly shitting the bed it just feels like a close game that we could've easily lost. Before their last spurt, St Kilda had barely kicked 6 goals for the match. That's unbelievable, even with Ross Lyon's game plan.

I think the stinginess of our team gets overlooked due to that last quarter fade out.
3.6 to 4.0 in the last but you broke it open early in the 4th after we couldnt take our chances. You guys are good but we are not as bad as everyone thought eh?

Much like the Richmond game, bank the 4 points and wipe the game from memories

It's frustrating to keep getting injuries to players that are so important to us structurally. In isolation, the players missing aren't our best in the majority of cases.

Lipinski isn't our best midfielder
Howe isn't our best defender
McStay isn't our best forward
But they provide a lot structurally and when combined with having BOTH ruckmen injured it's going to make things extremely difficult for us until they all start coming back

Particularly against taller opposition.

It's also frustrating to see us not adjust how we play much once these injuries occur.

Despite having such a small forward line, we continued to bomb it in to the Saints tall defender despite McStay not being there to contest.

Which isn't something we even did last year. The forward line we played with for 3 of 4 quarters yesterday was almost player for player the same forward line we played with all of last year. Arguably a better one given Bobby Hill was in there.

Yet we didn't enter said forward line the way we were last year.

Incredibly frustrating to watch

Well they played lot better in General Footy but in last Qtr could not buy a Goal until last 5 Minutes
Don't agree Dave.

We were all over them, and we couldn't buy a goal ourselves. We were miles up on inside 50s for most of the match.

It's our forward 50 entries that were the problem, and our lack of competitiveness in the air.

Our ground ball work down forward was also a problem until the last quarter.

I feel like we aren't fit or in great form, but we are still 4-1. Enough individuals are providing enough class and effort and the team is well coached and there's (just) enough coverage from sensible recruiting.

Hate the welter of injuries but in past seasons this usually meant we would be dropping out of the 8.

So who does he replace?

He was ok tonight.
He was better defensively than he’s been last year despite a few lapses.
So that’s a positive….

So I go does he replace to make best 22?
It was his first AFL game since the 2022 PF, so he will improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3.6 to 4.0 in the last but you broke it open early in the 4th after we couldnt take our chances. You guys are good but we are not as bad as everyone thought eh?
I don't think anyone thought you were bad but your game style is like watching paint dry. Who floods the defence all game like they did 15 years ago?, oh wait, it was Ross Lyon. Football was starting to become quite enjoyable again the last years but your coach will set it back 15 years. Good luck with that boring game plan going forward

AJ looks a lot better hitting up at speed with those sticky hands rather than today where it was bombed in and he got pushed under rhe ball.

Could not agree more. He is a lead and mark forward.

They got one goal as Murphy was knocked out and another immediately after that, will be tough going next week without Murphy. People don’t understand how important he is. Our winning ways started when he settled in the 22.

Aside from Daicos who demands the ball like Ablett did from his team mates, I thought Mcreery was outstanding with a greater role tonight. Frampton, as I said last week, was the better ruck option and I thought he performed really well.

WHE, half fit and still selected, what does that tell you about how highly the coaching staff rate him. I wish the uninitiated would get off his back, played a great game today.

Mihocek, similar to Moore down back was critical again.

It was a game for the backs and they were all great, particularly Maynard and Moore.

Bobby is all class and wow does he make his possessions count.

Elliott needs to keep fit, he’s crucial.

Wilson is not a footballer. Cost us some goals with dodgy tackles and he played forward for most of the game.

Markov should get dropped hopefully. Backs can’t afford to kick so poorly.

Ginivan appeared to appease the coach with his last quarter goal. I think they flatter him when they say he does things that others can’t. Wasn’t happy that he got his spot back, but I guess he retains it now with the outs.

Ash Johnson is not a key forward, was ok at the centre bounce…I don’t think he’s good enough for finals football.
Agree with most of these points!
With the exception of AJ - I think people are reading too much into his laconic style. Hes doing great for a 10 gamer, regardless of age. And has shown plenty.

I don't think anyone thought you were bad but your game style is like watching paint dry. Who floods the defence all game like they did 15 years ago?, oh wait, it was Ross Lyon. Football was starting to become quite enjoyable again the last years but your coach will set it back 15 years. Good luck with that boring game plan going forward
If you have a team of fit but lessor skilled or inexperienced players that's what you maximise. Our previous games have been better as a spectacle so maybe it was the ground and/or the opposition 🙂

Don't agree Dave.

We were all over them, and we couldn't buy a goal ourselves. We were miles up on inside 50s for most of the match.

It's our forward 50 entries that were the problem, and our lack of competitiveness in the air.

Our ground ball work down forward was also a problem until the last quarter.
Maybe you want to read what you posted.

We finished ahead on the scoreboard in a sub-standard match. There is no guarantee we shall improve, but the coaches and players will certainly set to it from today. August is a long way away.

If you have a team of fit but lessor skilled or inexperienced players that's what you maximise. Our previous games have been better as a spectacle so maybe it was the ground and/or the opposition 🙂
We had our fair share of injuries and we still attacked. Basicly you s**t yourselves and went completely defensive.

Good luck to the sides that try. Adelaide oval played much more like Marvel than the MCG. It will be a lot harder to clog and restrict the wider wings of the G.

Plus until they coward struck on one our defenders and took the brakes off in a hail mary at the end the saints barely scored.

That ground could not have suited them better, it’s 6m narrower than Marvel FFS. Totally different proposition to the MCG when we have a ruckman and a key forward.

On top of that, we lost De Goey, had to use our sub early, and prior to them concussing our best intercept defender on the day we kept them to 4 goals which weren’t gifted to them by the umpires (perhaps 3 if you add the one he played on but was given back).

Saints fans are getting way ahead of themselves thinking they can compete with us on the MCG in September.

Who did you have to knock out to get your 3.6?

If Saints play an open game style from the start we score 150 to their 120 etc. they wouldn’t out score us. They took advantage in the last 3 mins of us being undermanned and wrecked. But they had nothing to lose. St Kilda don’t know how to play fast footy when the game is in the balance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back