Carlton (3-1) v St Kilda (1-3)
Sat 7 Mar, 7.10pm AEDT
Ikon Park, Carlton North VIC
7mate (Melb, Adel, Perth)

C'wood (2-2) v W. Bulldogs (1-3)
Sun 8 Mar, 1.10pm AEDT
Morwell Recreation Reserve, VIC
No FTA Coverage*
Tickets (Pies AFLW members have a FREE ticket in their MyMagpies Account; Dogs AFLW members can guarantee entry by upgrading for $5 here)

Melbourne (3-1) v West Coast (1-3)
Sun 8 Mar, 3.10pm AEDT
Casey Fields, Cranbourne East VIC
7 (Melb, Perth, Adel) and 7mate (Syd, Bris)

Fremantle (4-0) v Brisbane (3-0-1)
Sun 8 Mar, 2.10pm AWST
Fremantle Oval, WA
7 (Perth) and 7mate (Bris)

*All games are broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo, and free to stream via the AFLW app, the AFL app, the AFLW website, the AFL website and the Telstra TV AFLW app.

Last edited:
Looking forward to see how our girls go against the Crows, they blew us away last season. I'd like to think we have improved on last year and the Crows have come back to field a little.

Some shocking outs and a fair few ins I'll be keeping a close eye on this weekend.

GC In: T.Groves-Little Out: H.Dunn (Injured)
GEE In: G.Rankin Out: J.Ivey (Suspension)

NM In: N.Bresnehan Out: El.King (Illness)
ADE In: C.Gould, M.McKinnon, M.Newman Out: E.Jones (Injured), J.Foley (Injured), C.Biddell (Omitted)

GWS In: T.Mackrill, S.Halvorsen, E.McKinnon Out: Y.Bonner (Ankle), A.Eva (Injured), I.Nielsen (Omitted)
RIC In: K.Dempsey, T.Stahl, L.Tesoriero Out: K.Brennan (Injured), A.Woodward (Omitted), C.Wakefield (Injured)

CAR In: None Out: None
STK In: K.O'Neill, S.Johnson, E.Mackie Out: T.White (Injured), C.Munn (Omitted), K.McCarthy (Injured)

COL In: E.O'Dea, M.Shevlin, S.Alexander, E.Hynes Out: A.Brazill (Injured), R.Schleicher (Injured)
WBD In: B.Lochland, C.Moody, D.Berry Out: B.Toogood (Injured)

MEL In: L.Mithen, B.Tarrant, K.Petrevski, S.Perkins Out: M.Downie (Illness), L.Pearce (Injured)
WC In: M.Caulfield, K.Orme, M.Carter Out: C.Perera (Managed)

FRE In: E.Gooch, M.Clifford Out: None
BL In: G.Collingwood, J.Zanchetta Out: None

ADE In: C.Gould, M.McKinnon, M.Newman Out: E.Jones (Injured), J.Foley (Injured), C.Biddell (Omitted)
Turns out Elisha King is a complication with a previous ACL graft and not illness. Apparently hoping to manage it without surgery for the time being. Good to see Bresnehan back. Erin Phillips a late out along with Foley and Jones probably tips the favouritism to North there.

Some shocking outs and a fair few ins I'll be keeping a close eye on this weekend.

GC In: T.Groves-Little Out: H.Dunn (Injured)
GEE In: G.Rankin Out: J.Ivey (Suspension)

GWS In: T.Mackrill, S.Halvorsen, E.McKinnon Out: Y.Bonner (Ankle), A.Eva (Injured), I.Nielsen (Omitted)
RIC In: K.Dempsey, T.Stahl, L.Tesoriero Out: K.Brennan (Injured), A.Woodward (Omitted), C.Wakefield (Injured)

CAR In: None Out: None
STK In: K.O'Neill, S.Johnson, E.Mackie Out: T.White (Injured), C.Munn (Omitted), K.McCarthy (Injured)

COL In: E.O'Dea, M.Shevlin, S.Alexander, E.Hynes Out: A.Brazill (Injured), R.Schleicher (Injured)
WBD In: B.Lochland, C.Moody, D.Berry Out: B.Toogood (Injured)

MEL In: L.Mithen, B.Tarrant, K.Petrevski, S.Perkins Out: M.Downie (Illness), L.Pearce (Injured)
WC In: M.Caulfield, K.Orme, M.Carter Out: C.Perera (Managed)

FRE In: E.Gooch, M.Clifford Out: None
BL In: G.Collingwood, J.Zanchetta Out: None
Erin Phillips also out

My tips and words of caution.

Suns-Cats: Having finally exhausted the value of honourable losses, Geelong now get to play against a frustratingly naive and plucky former version of themselves. Gold Coast are going to be in the hunt against any team wasteful in front of goal, which hasn't been the Cats' 2020 modus operandi so far but the Suns have a way of bringing out the worst in others. Geel by 6

Roos-Crows: Last year's encounter, the highest-skilled display of women's club football I've seen, was overshadowed by a lopsided scoreline reflective of North's loose defence. The Kangas' sustainable attacking tactics remain, just as their back-line continues to look sluggish when the ball hits the deck. Adelaide, coming off a defeat where they recorded 92 less disposals and 4 more turnovers than the opposition, aren't resembling 2019's form at all. If they're any chance to compensate for a long injury list, their major ball-winners have to step up and take better care of the footy. NM by 12

Giants-Tigers: Now that Conti has completed pre-season training in her traditional better-late-than-never timeslot, Round 5 should be the point when she once again starts looking like a character in The Matrix bending the physical laws of nature. Problem for Richmond is their more hardened, balanced, predictable opponents don't have to rely on any One player fulfilling such a lofty prophecy to get a win over a struggling team. GWS by 18

Blues-Saints: With more time put into stopping Greiser, and no energy required to chase around absentees McCarthy and Sedunary, Carlton should make this a nightmare for a St Kilda team averaging 21 points across their first month. Stats and match-ups aside, never rule out the punch-line to a cruel twist of fate imparted by the football gods--perhaps, in this case, manifesting in a Molly McDonald bag of redemption? Carl by 24

Pies-Dogs: The last meeting between these two teams also took place in the Latrobe Valley--a heated match which Siekman's faux-tough Magpies could have won if they weren't so busy trying to start fights. This occasion will be more a battle within for each club facing challenges thrown up by various knee injuries. Despite a flawed forward-line structure, Collingwood at least exude the capability to carry out a clear game plan. A month into the season and I don't even know what the Bulldogs' game plan is. Coll by 30

Dees-Eagles: This week's Fifty-point Poisoned Chalice shall be served to the Demons, cheers! Melb by 50

Freo-Lions: Maybe the Dockers' fortnight of prison breaks is a sign of how constantly difficult their gruelling style is going to be to overcome. Maybe it'll be a catalyst for them to play a slightly more controlled and uncontested possession game, thereby allowing the class of players like Kara Antonio to have a bigger impact. Either way, after complaining about Brisbane's brand of football for three years, I can't not tip them on the back of an impressive win that suggested Craig Starcevich has finally come to terms with the concept of moulding a blueprint around his available talent. Bris by 1

Last edited:
Suns wasted way too many quality build-ups in Q1, like Howarth's outside-of-the-boot I50 (gonna have to isolate footage of that btw).

Cranston despite her one or two brilliant things per game, continues to be the league's biggest burner of team mates unfortunately.

Surman's set-shot miss five minutes into the 3rd and Thorn letting that goal bounce through on the siren, brutal blunders by the Suns to make it a 2-goal margin. Cats have come out hot to start the 4th, get the first and this should be over.

Big backwards step for Gold Coast tonight, work rate dropped off sharply in the 2nd half and they really lost touch with the confident ball movement of R2&3.

Geelong on the road in tough conditions did enough when it mattered. Morrison continuing to build, along with an unconvincing Crows and Giants directly above on the ladder, gives them some hope. 2 matches remaining between those 3 teams, GWS would basically sew up the third spot in ConA if they were to win both.

Howarth's outside-of-the-boot I50 (gonna have to isolate footage of that btw)
Didn't see it anywhere, so as promised:

NHO being such a small ground might theoretically help the Crows with their HFF turnover issues, (just a little bit of extra run-and-carry to get a lot more penetration on the forward 50 entries), hasn't really resulted in an improvement for them yet.

North has a hell of a knack of having the numbers around the footy in the backline and still getting swooped on the loose ball.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Big backwards step for Gold Coast tonight, work rate dropped off sharply in the 2nd half and they really lost touch with the confident ball movement of R2&3.

Geelong on the road in tough conditions did enough when it mattered. Morrison continuing to build, along with an unconvincing Crows and Giants directly above on the ladder, gives them some hope. 2 matches remaining between those 3 teams, GWS would basically sew up the third spot in ConA if they were to win both.

Gold Coast work rate has been their rock, given they can't rely on experience or star power. The heat may have got to them (but you'd think they have trained in worse), but once that died in the second half, they really had no chance.

On the current match...

Adelaide were always going to do it tough here, not just because of their outs, but they have not looked particularly good for much of the season, unlike their opponents. But the margin at the moment is very concerning for them.

North are cruising, look a class above Adelaide. I wouldn't say Garner and Kearney are quiet (they are doing plenty), but Marinoff and Hatchard are matching them in the middle, as you might expect. But North have class everywhere, and Adelaide are lacking in all other areas. Ashmore, despite her first fumble, has been brilliant, having a cracker of a season.

A big margin here virtually seals the Kangaroos into the finals, and gives Adelaide plenty of ways of not making the finals.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thompson puts a modicum of respectability into the last quarter for the Crows, but overall, that was a slaughter. North are cruising into the finals now, would take an epic melt down to miss, and they will threaten anyone they play.

3rd spot in the conference is well and truly open, with the Crows hardly fighting to keep a hold on it, but can anyone else step up?

GWS have the big chance right now to overtake the Cats and Crows, but I'm tipping the previously hapless Tigers to get the upset, and their first win. Neither side looks overly impressive, but Richmond have played 3 good quarters two games in a row, and one poor one in each. Three good quarters would be enough to beat GWS if they play to form. GWS have only the wins against the other newbies, and Richmond have improved from where they were at the start of the season, despite what the scoreboard says.

If that tip comes through, the conference A third spot is super open...

In the last Saturday match up, I thought Saints were frightfully unlucky last week, losing McCarthy was a big blow both in that match, and for this one. Add to that, the fact their opponents got a quarter of their points (a third of their goals), at a crucial stage, from a player placing the ball on the ground rather than giving it to their opponent...

Despite this, I think Carlton should win this last one for the day comfortably. Their football is coming together nicely as the season progresses, much like last year, but this year they've started from a higher base so could actually threaten if they make the big one.

Would've been a closer game if not for the wet. Ultimately it was the everclean players for North like Garner, whose indifference to the conditions is what Adelaide lacked, only made for a bigger gulf in the two teams.

Nevertheless, too many Crows regressing to their early 2018 form, and it shouldn't be the case just because of who's not out there. Unless you followed Ebony Marinoff's career very closely, you'd assume she simply can't physically kick properly. I know that's not true but she has earned that reputation purely through her own lazy decision-making.

Slightly off-topic, watching on the Live & (not ad-)Free Ch 7: AFLW is responsible for a lot of breakthroughs, perhaps none more impressive than actually being involved in a good Bunnings Warehouse commercial!

Took longer than I expected but Carlton giving up costly goals tonight by having young players isolated one-out on the last line. Meanwhile their best defender is getting led to the footy at half-forward, at what point do you make the change?

Related note: I can't remember seeing Cora Staunton take an overhead mark, she's basically just a textbook crumber when you think about it and the Tigers played a slow 6-foot ruck on her for most of the game! Bold moves.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would've been a closer game if not for the wet. Ultimately it was the everclean players for North like Garner, whose indifference to the conditions is what Adelaide lacked, only made for a bigger gulf in the two teams.

Nevertheless, too many Crows regressing to their early 2018 form, and it shouldn't be the case just because of who's not out there. Unless you followed Ebony Marinoff's career very closely, you'd assume she simply can't physically kick properly. I know that's not true but she has earned that reputation purely through her own lazy decision-making.

Slightly off-topic, watching on the Live & (not ad-)Free Ch 7: AFLW is responsible for a lot of breakthroughs, perhaps none more impressive than actually being involved in a good Bunnings Warehouse commercial!

I love Marinoff's enthusiasm and effort, but she always seems a bit of a bull in a China shop to me. Powerful, but making a mess. Garner is the definition of a clean kicker, just wonderful to watch.

Not sure I can say I've liked any of the ads for what they are...but I do love that the women are getting a chance to shine with endorsements also.

Harf and Searle have decent claims on top echelon coaches - both sides not brimming with talent, but are always competitive week to week.

Carlton I would say have improved so much in their last 8 or so matches that they really are brimming with talent now, but they are a great team to watch and a real threat, and this time last year you wouldn't say either.

Saints probably have a few shots at the rising star, but I agree, much better team than you'd expect from the experience of their roster.

Both coaches are doing a fantastic job.

Took longer than I expected but Carlton giving up costly goals tonight by having young players isolated one-out on the last line. Meanwhile their best defender is getting led to the footy at half-forward, at what point do you make the change?

Related note: I can't remember seeing Cora Staunton take an overhead mark, she's basically just a textbook crumber when you think about it and the Tigers played a slow 6-foot ruck on her for most of the game! Bold moves.

I'm not sure what Carlton were doing with their rotation of defenders, but I suppose you could say they were always in control, though Saints weren't far behind in scoring shots. Certainly some very quick goals in that game.

I can't remember many overhead marks from any of the Gaelic players, thinking about it. Staunton certainly does most her best work on the ground or with ball in hand, though she often tries to step through tackles rather than around, like a small crumber might.

Maybe that was the plan of having someone big on her? Not that it matters, really, she inevitably beats one tackle, and often hangs on too long when another comes in after she is slowed down. Anyone could take the slowing down role.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow. Five goals and some change to nothing this quarter has turned this from the West Coast hanging on grimly, with an upset possible, to something of a rout. Hanks has continued her impressive form, just really good ground work and clever disposals, she is in good form this last few weeks. Paxman of course is dominating the touches, and they are all clever. Love the running from Goldrick, even if she still takes poor options sometimes. Maybe Teen Wolf's 50 point curse isn't biting yet.

In the previous game, Bulldogs were really quite disappointing, and that loss effectively end their finals chances this season. Bulldogs had Lochland back, tried a few players up front for spells, but really lacked penetration up front. Molloy was the opposite for Collingwood, as dangerous a forward display as you'd want to see.

Without wishing to overinflate the praise for her, given she has only a few seasons at top grade (like all the AFLW players) and has been a pretty decent back and centre in her time, but she reminded me a little of Ablett (snr) as a forward. Just so explosive, and using her body to create space and explode into tiny gaps, making it look like she was a foot and a half taller than she was. Very impressive stuff.

Wow. Five goals and some change to nothing this quarter has turned this from the West Coast hanging on grimly, with an upset possible, to something of a rout. Hanks has continued her impressive form, just really good ground work and clever disposals, she is in good form this last few weeks. Paxman of course is dominating the touches, and they are all clever. Love the running from Goldrick, even if she still takes poor options sometimes. Maybe Teen Wolf's 50 point curse isn't biting yet.

In the previous game, Bulldogs were really quite disappointing, and that loss effectively end their finals chances this season. Bulldogs had Lochland back, tried a few players up front for spells, but really lacked penetration up front. Molloy was the opposite for Collingwood, as dangerous a forward display as you'd want to see.

Without wishing to overinflate the praise for her, given she has only a few seasons at top grade (like all the AFLW players) and has been a pretty decent back and centre in her time, but she reminded me a little of Ablett (snr) as a forward. Just so explosive, and using her body to create space and explode into tiny gaps, making it look like she was a foot and a half taller than she was. Very impressive stuff.

Far FAR too good 😞

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Far FAR too good 😞

Sorry Biggie.

That second half was not pretty for West Coast fans. Really need to improve in all areas. Some of your players with at least some AFLW experience barely touched the ball.

On the other hand, plenty of my Dees have a lot more experience, and it showed. The veterans were all pretty good out there, with plenty of contributions across the field, and in goal scoring. Nice to see Perkins getting another chance and chipping in with one at the end.

Sorry Biggie.

That second half was not pretty for West Coast fans. Really need to improve in all areas. Some of your players with at least some AFLW experience barely touched the ball.
Don’t be sorry! We’re a fair way off it - no structure at all

Good luck for remainder of the season!

Always try to not focus on the umpiring much because it could drive one bonkers, but too hard to ignore when a ridiculous non-advantage call puts the kibosh on a great goal. For anyone just wanting to see the players allowed to perform at their best, that's as infuriating as it gets!

Back