AFLW Round 5 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Pratt 3QT address: "Would be a rrrreeeal good time to run out a game for a change"

Same person who organised the cameras at Vic Park,
That's more a dollars and cents issue though, rather than a common sense issue.

this is the second time this weekend i have heard the term "serge mentality " used,twice by the rapist on the game he did commentary on and now it is used by the suns coach at a 3 qtr time interview,fyi so called experts,it is SIEGE MENTALITY

this is the second time this weekend i have heard the term "serge mentality " used,twice by the rapist on the game he did commentary on and now it is used by the suns coach at a 3 qtr time interview,fyi so called experts,it is SIEGE MENTALITY
Who is the rapist?

The Suns endeavour is there, but their general field skills are the worst in the competition.

A few weeks ago the coaches motto was go out and have fun last week was players are lazy I wonder what will be this week..

Skills are bad
Game style is bad
Coaching is bad
imo

Because originally we were supposed to be the away team during indigenous round but the rounds have changed a few times, so never made a home version

That's not an excuse. The fundamental point of different jumpers is to tell teams apart. If they don't achieve that basic objective then they should go into the bin.

Either team should have swapped jumpers, end of story.

A few weeks ago the coaches motto was go out and have fun last week was players are lazy I wonder what will be this week..

Skills are bad
Game style is bad
Coaching is bad
imo

They were decent last year - what changed? I feel like they are knackered from constant away games. Travelled every time after rd1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were decent last year - what changed? I feel like they are knackered from constant away games. Travelled every time after rd1.

Last years game style was attacking it appears the coach has tried to add a defensive style in the offseason and they players are confused in switching between attack and defence..
they get tired easily from running around in circles because they’re forever turning it over from throwing it on the boot and bombing it and the skills have got worse probably because of it.
Also yesterday when Perkins went off the forward structure appeared to be a lot better

Probably also lacking some senior leadership on the ground. around 2 minutes to go and 1 point down there was a ball up in the suns 50 beside the goal square the ball then went straight up the other end for a score.. the runner was nearby but no instruction to at least get a score to level the scores so that’s probably on the coaches heads

Last years game style was attacking it appears the coach has tried to add a defensive style in the offseason and they players are confused in switching between attack and defence..
they get tired easily from running around in circles because they’re forever turning it over from throwing it on the boot and bombing it and the skills have got worse probably because of it.
Also yesterday when Perkins went off the forward structure appeared to be a lot better

Probably also lacking some senior leadership on the ground. around 2 minutes to go and 1 point down there was a ball up in the suns 50 beside the goal square the ball then went straight up the other end for a score.. the runner was nearby but no instruction to at least get a score to level the scores so that’s probably on the coaches heads

Almost sounds like you're talking about Geelong, except for the part where you mention an attacking game style last year - other than our win over Richmond last year not sure we've seen a genuine attacking game style played over 4 quarters in many of our matches

I kinda wonder if some of the teams at the bottom of the ladder are almost being over-coached, and that instead they need to strip it back a bit and just let them play

Don’t get me wrong they’re a good team but they are the Fremantle of last year not travelling has helped them a lot
Ohh another game in Victoria for Collingwood

Brisbane fan complaining about a team not travelling is ironic. You guys didn’t travel in the AFL last year so perhaps stop the crying.

Almost sounds like you're talking about Geelong, except for the part where you mention an attacking game style last year - other than our win over Richmond last year not sure we've seen a genuine attacking game style played over 4 quarters in many of our matches

I kinda wonder if some of the teams at the bottom of the ladder are almost being over-coached, and that instead they need to strip it back a bit and just let them play

I think the coaching in AFLw is something not looked at enough. Its like they try and over complicate the game plan/style look at Collingwood a couple of years ago struggled badly changed coach and been a completely different team since

Many of these women are still learning the game.. they say the afl men need about 50 senior games to start to play the game properly but most of the women would be lucky to play that many their whole career

That's far from the case at Kardinia Park, for a number of reasons.

So obviously we got the disgusting clash between Adelaide at St Kilda caused by the AFL's changes in fixtures, but I do wonder.
What would people have thought with Carlton vs Melbourne if that eventuated with their indigenous strips.

These 2 clubs were originally scheduled to play each other on the weekend and both went with a navy blue based.

I think the coaching in AFLw is something not looked at enough. Its like they try and over complicate the game plan/style look at Collingwood a couple of years ago struggled badly changed coach and been a completely different team since

Many of these women are still learning the game.. they say the afl men need about 50 senior games to start to play the game properly but most of the women would be lucky to play that many their whole career

That seems to describe the Geelong game plan or at least what appears to be our game plan - hard to get a read on what we were trying to do against North as we were just never in that match, against Collingwood we started with a much more free flowing style of play and the first quarter it seemed to be about keeping the ball moving forward at all costs & just getting into our forward 50 to see what chaos could be created. Then Collingwood woke up at quarter time, and whether it was the more experienced players at the Pies & maybe a lack of fitness on our behalf or a combination of both, we just couldn't keep up at that first quarter level across the rest of the match

But in our other matches we seemed, especially in first haves we seem to be trying to play a very precise style of football - it's been all about trying to maintain control of the ball: player A takes a mark and goes back over the mark to take her kick, she then hits up a teammate to do the same and we carefully move the ball down the wing in that manner. It's something that probably works in training as the pressure may not be at the same intensity as matches and thus our kicking to a teammate looks good, but it just doesn't work in an actually game as our opponents are applying intense pressure from the start & they aren't allowing the time & space for those precision kicks

We almost seem to play a different style in the second halves/last quarters of matches compared to the first. Can't help but think it's to do with trailing on the scoreboard, and so the heavily structured style seems to get thrown out of the window and instead we seem to play with a bit more freedom & looking to keep the ball moving rather than trying to play precision football that isn't working. It hasn't always worked but generally we look a better team when playing in that manner, and I know it can mean getting opened up on the rebound but it's not like the structure & flooding back in defence helped us in the first half against the Tigers last Friday

I know we're getting a better quality youngsters coming through than even 5 years ago because of better developed pathways then there used to be, but as you said many of these women are still learning the game and still developing. I think some of the coaches need to have a better look at the players they have on their lists and how they can implement a game style that best utilises the strength of their players, rather than developing a stricter game style & trying to get the players to adapt to it when they may not be at that level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back