Preview Round 5: Essendon vs Fremantle, Docklands, Sunday 17/04/2022, 4:40 PM

Who will get up

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Week

Essendon: The Dons broke through for their first win of the year against Adelaide, in a game where they were in the lead for 95% of the game but just couldn't put the Crows away, coming away with a 4 point win. Peter Wright was the dominant forward of the first half with 3 goals, Darcy Parish the best midfielder with 38 disposals and 8 clearances and Mason Redman was back to his best with 19 disposals and 7 inside 50's off half back.

Fremantle: Fremantle lead at every change against Greater Western Sydney and ran away with it in the last quarter, kicking 6 goals to none to finish 34 point winners. Will Brodie was dominant in the middle with 37 disposals and 6 clearances, whilst the forward line shared it around with 2 goals apiece from O'Driscoll, Colyer and Frederick showed that they spread the load well.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 5-0 Fremantle

Form Guide

Essendon: 1W 3L
Fremantle: 3W 1L

Possible sides

Essendon vs Fremantle

FB: Luke Ryan - Brennan Cox - Hayden Young

FF: Archie Perkins - Peter Wright - Andrew Phillips
HB: Jordan Clark - Griffen Logue - Brandon Walker
HF: Matthew Guelfi - Aaron Francis - Tex Wanganeen
MF: Travis Colyer - Andrew Brayshaw - Nathan O'Driscoll
MF: Sam Durham - Andrew McGrath - Nic Martin
HF: Lachlan Schultz - Matthew Taberner - Minairo Frederick
HB: Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Nick Hind
FF: Michael Walters - Rory Lobb - Sam Switkowski
FB: Jake Kelly - Jayden Laverde - Mason Redman
OB: Sean Darcy - Caleb Serong - David Mundy
OB: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Jye Caldwell
IC: Neil Erasmus - Heath Chapman - Sam Sturt - Will Brodie
IC: Dyson Heppell - Tom Cutler - Alec Waterman - Dylan Shiel
MS: Blake Acres
MS: Devon Smith

Essendon in: Francis, Cutler; out: Will Snelling (calf), Brayden Ham (omitted)

Fremantle in: Serong, Sturt; Out: James Aish (calf), Bailey Banfield (unused sub)

Fremantle defence vs Essendon forward line

So far this year, Essendon have been the 11th most efficient forward line in the AFL, kicking a goal 22.12% of the time it enters their forward 50, below the league average of 23.32%. Fremantle are third in the league in terms of goals conceded per inside 50, conceding a goal only 19.05% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Essendon will be again needing a big game from tall Peter Wright, currently equal second in the Coleman Medal, and will likely receive attention from Brennan Cox, the Fremantle tall having a career best year so far, whilst at the smaller end Tex Wanganeen is raw but he's been really exciting with the glimpses that have featured so far, it'll be interesting to see him head to head with Brandon Walker, a young and speedy Docker.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon have struggled on the inside so far this season, being 18th for contested possession difference and 16th for clearance difference, whilst Fremantle are 10th and 12th for those particular statistics so far this season. Essendon's core of Jye Caldwell, Andrew McGrath, Darcy Parish and Dylan Shiel have improved game on game as far as the inside work has been concerned, and on the other side the evergreen David Mundy has just kept on keeping on, whilst Andrew Brayshaw has been electric for the Dockers as well on the inside, an early favourite for All Australian honours, whilst young midfielder Caleb Serong should return from injury this week. On the outside Sam Durham and Nic Martin have been two of Essendon's shining lights so far this year whilst Freo will be looking to former Bomber Travis Colyer to provide a bit of run and dare along with Jordan Clark as a half back/wing. Rucks wise, Essendon's tandem of Andrew Phillips and Sam Draper should provide trouble for Sean Darcy, probably the second best ruck in the AFL.

Fremantle forward line vs Essendon defence

Fremantle are virtuall the same as the AFL average in terms of goals/inside 50, kicking one 23.15%. Essendon's defence has been very leaky, conceding a goal 27.46% of the time, only ahead of Port Adelaide in this particular statistic after 4 rounds. Matthew Taberner will be the lynchpin for the Dockers and will likely get attention from Jayden Laverde, who has been slightly down from his career best year of 2021, whilst his back up Rory Lobb will go head to head with Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, a player who looked rusty at AFL level at his last start. Lachie Schult has been the main small forward for the Dockers and will probably receive attention from Nick Hind, who has been one of the few defenders who've been good defensively so far this year for the Dons.

X-Factor Player

Sam Sturt cut Essendon up on debut but injuries have meant he has only had another 3 games at AFL level since then. Look for him to try to beat Jake Kelly in this area if he gets up.

Key stat

Essendon: Goals/inside 50. Last year they were very effective in this area, this year the struggles have been there. Need to get on top of Fremantle here, especially with their strong defence.

Fremantle: Clearances. Win this area and you can expose a fragile Essendon defence, especially with the height of Taberner and Lobb.

Tip

Fremantle are in good form, Essendon not so much. I think Essendon's winning streak against Fremantle continues despite this, Dons by 7.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
This is a nice little test to see where we're at and also where Freo are at.

If Freo are serious, they should do to us what they just did to GWS.

Our record against them at Marvel is really good though. Plus we'll hopefully have Rutten back in the box and maybe have another debutant in Hobbs? So the power of positive vibes and history might be able to get us over the line.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In- Bryan, Cutler, Voss, Hobbs
Out- Ridley(inj), Phillips, Ham, Wanganeen

B Kelly BZT Hind
HB Heppell Laverde Cutler
C Guelfi Caldwell McGrath
HF Perkins Voss Martin
F Waterman Wright Smith
FOLL: Draper Shiel Parish
INTER: Bryan, Redman, Durham, Hobbs
Sub: Francis

Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Dodgers, Canucks, MUFC
This is more of a general question. Not relating to this game but in prep for ANZAC Day.

I will be coming from interstate like I do every year for the big day. But haven't been to Melbourne since the venue restrictions applied including getting into stadiums.

While my own state has its own check in app and linkable certificates etc etc. Has anyone got any experience already from the first few rounds that have come from interstate.
  • Did they accept viewing the cert via another states app. Or did they have to get the VIC app?
  • Were they even checking? I know 95% of places up here with restrictions still active havent been for months now.

Just trying to make sure I've got things in place so im not stuck at the gate scrambling to install, link etc etc etc.

I guess more relevant to the MCG then Docklands. But assume it would be the same experience at both.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Initial thoughts;-

OUT: Ridley (inj), Snelling(inj), Heppell, Wanga, Ham
IN: Francis, Hobbs, Cutler, Voss, Smith

Team;-

Francis Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav Hind
Durham Caldwell Martin
Perkins Voss Guelfi
Waterman 2MP Smith

Draper Parish McGrath

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Cutler Phillips
SUB: Tippa?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This is more of a general question. Not relating to this game but in prep for ANZAC Day.

I will be coming from interstate like I do every year for the big day. But haven't been to Melbourne since the venue restrictions applied including getting into stadiums.

While my own state has its own check in app and linkable certificates etc etc. Has anyone got any experience already from the first few rounds that have come from interstate.
  • Did they accept viewing the cert via another states app. Or did they have to get the VIC app?
  • Were they even checking? I know 95% of places up here with restrictions still active havent been for months now.

Just trying to make sure I've got things in place so im not stuck at the gate scrambling to install, link etc etc etc.

I guess more relevant to the MCG then Docklands. But assume it would be the same experience at both.
I don’t know which versions of the certificate they will recognise as legit, but yes they do check at the MCG and the Dome. Some restaurants also check so have it handy at all times.

When you go into the ground there will be three people you have to get passed, the first one you do the QR code and show certificate, the second is the bag check/security wand, and the third is a person who scans your ticket (I don’t know why they aren’t using the barricades).

I think QR code check ins are mandatory under their covid venue policy (I’ve been harassed by them before when they didn’t realise I already scanned it) so it would probably be easier and more convenient to just download the Service Victoria app and link your certificate through Medicare.

We just saw with Snelling what happens with a player who isn’t quite ready.
Agree, that's why I said he might not be ready. Although Tippa has a couple of VFL games under his belt now, so is probably not far away.

kleanr

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
and the third is a person who scans your ticket (I don’t know why they aren’t using the barricades).
It's because of virus that's proven to not be surface contact transmissible...it's simply bad optics to make people touch something inside of a public packed venue that has the roof closed...like how is Covid and the BO of my reserved seat neighbour supposed to waft out with the roof closed?!

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The only thing I really want to see is Ham out of the side. Short of him having some revealing pictures of Truck, I don't understand how he gets a game. How could playing Hobbs not be a better thing to do.

They'll drop him this week, especially if Cutler's good to go.

He's clearly a favourite of Truck's, but I don't think even the coach can argue who should be playing after yesterday.

It's because of virus that's proven to not be surface contact transmissible...it's simply bad optics to make people touch something inside of a public packed venue that has the roof closed...like how is Covid and the BO of my reserved seat neighbour supposed to waft out with the roof closed?!
... I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason. The scanner works exactly the same way without you touching anything, regardless of whether it is handheld scanner by a staff member or if you hold your phone underneath a permanent one. You still have to walk through the turnstile just the same.

Looking forward to watching Taberner do his annual stand out performance against us.
In fairness to him, he's been a good key forward for a couple of years now.

kleanr

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
... I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason. The scanner works exactly the same way without you touching anything, regardless of whether it is handheld scanner by a staff member or if you hold your phone underneath a permanent one. You still have to walk through the turnstile just the same.

ahh, yes. sorry I was meaning the 3 metal poles and a toilet flush button, people are very scared of these surfaces lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back