AFLW Round 5 - Geelong v Richmond at GMHBA Stadium, Friday 7.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha when she took that mark v coll directly in front and was so stoked , that’ll make the highlights reel on presentation night
after the game last night as they all ran to the fans on the fence her reaction was PRICELESS
Can see her becoming a fan fav very quickly

Don't forget Hannah Burchell. Hannah and Maddy Brancatisano are really getting into the games especially the last 2-3.
Injuries really cut into their careers at their first clubs so I guess you can't be too quick to judge.
I think it was good to get games into them last year when some of us were questioning it.
I was pretty happy for Hannah Burchell first win against the team she couldnt quite break into.

I see Jess Kennedy sometimes running laps of edwardes lake in Resa, reckon she wouldve had a smile on watching that game. She did alot captaining our vflw...I think it was two B&F’s.
She’s a ripper, ran into her once with my daughter at the supermarket she was wearing her gear and stopped to have a chat it was good of her

Don't forget Hannah Burchell. Hannah and Maddy Brancatisano are really getting into the games especially the last 2-3.
Injuries really cut into their careers at their first clubs so I guess you can't be too quick to judge.
I think it was good to get games into them last year when some of us were questioning it.

Agree about Hannah. She is really neat with the ball in hand sometimes and you think 'wow come on Hannah more of that'. I think Dempsey has been a bit average and mistake ridden at times. What I really like though is her read of the play - just has to get better with the ball or immediately near it. Maddy B coming in coincided with a better set up and out uptick in the contest. Not all due to her of course, but she has made a difference.

Really good test for us against NM , they’re a bloody good side, prob lower than where most had them . We ve proved very competitive v coll and blues then smashed a battler in cats who reminded me of what we looked like 12m ago. Should be a good game, here’s hoping that performance gave the girls a real shot of confidence , will certainly be a monkey off the back

Really good test for us against NM , they’re a bloody good side, prob lower than where most had them . We ve proved very competitive v coll and blues then smashed a battler in cats who reminded me of what we looked like 12m ago. Should be a good game, here’s hoping that performance gave the girls a real shot of confidence , will certainly be a monkey off the back
Getting a Win was a monkey off the back. The team has played a lot of good football this season, just have to bring it again against a better team. Will watch with interest

I might be alone here but im really impressed in lavey coming from a very low base and no real experience she atracks the player and ball hard and is reasonablly clean

Look forward to watching her next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be alone here but im really impressed in lavey coming from a very low base and no real experience she atracks the player and ball hard and is reasonablly clean

Look forward to watching her next year
Good observation, reads the play well and moves nicely in traffic too , clearly elite basketball skills are telling . I agree has great upside , hope she sticks with it , def in the best side and making an impact

2010 AFL - "worst side since a dying Fitzroy" - 12 consecutive losses over 2009/2010 - Away Game - Thrash Port by 47 points - First year player Dustin Martin's first win in Tiger colours.

2021 AFLW - "worst side in AFLW history" - 10 consecutive losses over 2020/2021 - Away Game - Thrash Geelong by 47 points - First year player Ellie McKenzie's first win in Tiger colours.

Spooky

We ve played all the good sides bar Freo and crows , certainly handed no favours for a side that came bottom

Yeah going by the AFLW web site info

"The integrity of a fair competition will also become crucial in building the fixture blocks to ensure top teams aren't playing multiple games against lowly opposition.
The fixture rules set in place at the start of the 2021 NAB AFLW season will remain.
They state that clubs can only play a minimum of two and maximum of three teams from the top four and bottom four based off the 2020 ladder (from combined conferences) across the nine rounds.
Clubs can also only play a minimum of three and maximum of five teams from the middle band of six clubs based off the 2020 ladder."

So far we've played Lions (3/7 con A), Demons (3/7 con B), Pies (4/7 con B) Blues (2/7 con B), Cats (5/7 con A) and now Kangas (1/7 con A)
Stiff is an understatement considering only Cats were just outside the top 4 last year
By the fair fixture system we should be playing either of Crows (6/7 con A), Saints (5/7 con B), Bulldogs (6/7 con B) and Eagles 7/7 con B) in the last 3 games
I'd put my money on Crows, Saints and Bulldogs as our last 3 games in no particular order (don't think Eagles will be any chance due to W.A. border restrictions)

Good observation, reads the play well and moves nicely in traffic too , clearly elite basketball skills are telling . I agree has great upside , hope she sticks with it , def in the best side and making an impact

Yeah we've had some good wins with cross coders in Gabby Seymour and Tessa Lavey
These 2 players have been showing up some of the others that have been playing footy a lot longer
Lavey's pace, athleticism, awareness in congestion is very good due to basketball, hopefully she can become at least half as good as Conti
And Seymour's athleticism, leap is very good due to volleyball, covers the ground well and get's to every contest, improving every game
More of these players please

I was pretty happy for Hannah Burchell first win against the team she couldnt quite break into.

I see Jess Kennedy sometimes running laps of edwardes lake in Resa, reckon she wouldve had a smile on watching that game. She did alot captaining our vflw...I think it was two B&F’s.
She’s a ripper, ran into her once with my daughter at the supermarket she was wearing her gear and stopped to have a chat it was good of her

Glad you mentioned Jess Cdog. There are a few sets of handprints from the past that are all over our first win and Jess is one that springs to mind. Missed out on getting a spot on our inaugural AFLW team but was a damn fine VFLW player and was instrumental in helping build the foundations of our women's program.

Hope she got a kick out of Friday night.

AFLCA Votes.

Monique closing in.

Geelong v Richmond

9 Monique Conti (RICH)
7 Katie Brennan (RICH)
5 Sarah D'Arcy (RICH)
5 Ellie McKenzie (RICH)
3 Courtney Wakefield (RICH)
1 Harriet Cordner (RICH)

LEADERBOARD
43 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
37 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
36 Brianna Davey (COLL)
35 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
33 Alyce Parker (GWS)
32 Monique Conti (RICH)
31 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
30 Erin Phillips (ADEL)
29 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
28 Tyla Hanks (MELB)
24 Karen Paxman (MELB)
23 Kirsty Lamb (WB)
22 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
22 Jamie Stanton (GCFC)
21 Georgia Patrikios (STK)
21 Madison Prespakis (CARL)
20 Natalie Grider (BL)
19 Isabel Huntington (WB)
19 Emma Kearney (NMFC)

Congratulation Ellie McKenzie
WOW that run along the wing, pushes off a don't argue Dusty style, Cats Amy McDonald(No 3),sells the dummy to another, 4 bounces, blasts through Meg McDonald (No 11) and just hits up Dargan, free kick, Dargan kicks to Kodi Jacques = goal!!!!!!!
I mean wow, just wow

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back