Autopsy Round 5 Giant Away Win

Remove this Banner Ad

Ouch.

I'm gonna quote a wise old relative who used to say "sometimes the other mob is just too good"

Good luck for the season. We won't meet again unless it's in September. One positive for me us I like non Vic clubs clustered at the top of the ladder.

Have to say I was always thought the ruck battle would be interesting and Lobb took the points.
Good sport.

How good was that hey? Our best away win since 2015. So proud of the boys.

Including Lyon. I had my doubts but it does look like he's got us on the right track. I'm getting a real 2012 vibe about this season.

We really should have beaten the eagles last week and been 4-1. GC are the only team who's outplayed us so far.
"Gold Coast out played us but I'm happy with how the season is going"

I'll take, things no one would have thought imaginable after 5 rounds Alex

I have only watched the first quarter and a bit of the last and Switta seemed to get involved from what I could see (kicked a great goal too). He hits the ball at speed and has some real dash.
He had 14 touched @ 78% with 68 mins on the field (second lowest)

Not sure what that hack Hardie is on about it but hes mentioned 3 times post game how so-so he was. Man hes an a grade flog.

Hardy probably had money on GWS. Swittas goal in the first reminded me of Judd vs Brisbane he hit the ball at pace ran through someone and kicked a goal. He has some serious toe as well.

Taberner's killing it this year. He's also getting free from his man a ton. Could have had four more shots on goal last week against west coast if our kicking was better than woeful into the forward fifty. Believe it or not a consistently clueless poster on here said we should drop him for cox last week. All he has to do is get over his yips and you've got one of the best key forwards in the afl if he keeps his current form up.
Currently averaging 18.2 possessions 8.6 marks and 2 goals a game. He's also improved his ground work a heap and is averaging 2.8 tackles a game.He's actually 19th for tackles inside the forward fifty. So much for being terrible at forward pressure. Second in the afl for contested marks and 5th for marks overall.

Matera's also been very good in his three games for mine. Was terrific today. Playing closer to goal and roving off packs is definitely his go .Looks capable of kicking two goals a game throughout the year, while his pressure is much better than last year. Improved fitness definitely helping his level of play.

Ethan Hughes also terrific. Played on players of all sizes today and took some terrific marks. Kicking and touch improving as the year goes on. Had zero clangers and kicked at 87.5% kicking efficiency. Destroyed Himmlberg when he was on him. His 7 marks and ability to play on were also important.

Tucker great as well. Loved his kicking. Really important in the last quarter.

Great win.

Last edited:
im 4 days in to a 19 day fast and had to put my 1pm colonic on hold for that win, the plastic tip wouldve snapped in half with all the screaming/fist clenching i did for those beautiful 4th quarter set shots. carn you little farkin rippers!!!!

Sorry mate but in gotta ask ,19 day fast

Are you not well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taberner's killing it this year. He's also getting free from his man a ton.

Matera's also been very good in his three games for mine. Was terrific today. Playing closer to goal and roving off packs is defintely his

Hogan has been huge for tabs either one of them gets the top defender the other runs free it’s beautiful.

Maters is actually playing close to goal. Not on the wing like last year. Makes a massive difference. His ability to sniff out a goal is top notch.

Just watching the 4th now.

Tabs was immense, sort out the dumb stuff and he will start tearing games apart.

Hogan doing what we all thought we would do.

I thought I was a great team performance, not anyone that stood out as a passenger.

Fyfe was great, makes we wonder about the eagles game...oh well.

Season looking ok...some good signs of a game plan that can score and win.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hogan has been huge for tabs either one of them gets the top defender the other runs free it’s beautiful.

Maters is actually playing close to goal. Not on the wing like last year. Makes a massive difference. His ability to sniff out a goal is top notch.

If Hogan didn't play, Tabs would have had the #1 kpd. Hogan was on the field, tabs still got the #1 kpd...

It stands to reason that Hogan is benefiting from Tabs... Saying that cheekily, both of them look to be sending the ball each others way as much as possible and quick to come in to celebrate a goal by the other.

If Hogan didn't play, Tabs would have had the #1 kpd. Hogan was on the field, tabs still got the #1 kpd...

It stands to reason that Hogan is benefiting from Tabs... Saying that cheekily, both of them look to be sending the ball each others way as much as possible and quick to come in to celebrate a goal by the other.
It's a nice headache to give the opposition, and it lasts all game because one might get on top and they waste some mental energy considering swapping their key backs.

Taberner's killing it this year. He's also getting free from his man a ton. Could have had four more shots on goal last week against west coast if our kicking was better than woeful into the forward fifty. Believe it or not a consistently clueless poster on here said we should drop him for cox last week. All he has to do is get over his yips and you've got one of the best key forwards in the afl if he keeps his current form up.

Such an enigma isn't he? He's had periods in the past where he couldn't hold a mark but was a dead eye dick in front of goal when he did, but now he's playing like a superstar except for kicking at goal like a donkey with an anxiety disorder.

Still been our best forward of the season though. Surely one day he'll put the two together and kick a huge bag.

Just back at the motel after the game with my 8 and 6 year olds. On the drive to the ground they were as keen as mustard, and of course being kids they don't understand odds so thought Freo were as good a chance as GWS. I was thinking, oh well it'll be an nice arvo in the 25 degree sunshine, but a win, pfft, it didn't even enter my mind. To top the day off my 6 year old got a Dockers hat from Travis Colyer (thanks Trav) and the 8 year old a high 5 from number 7 (Thanks Nat). Both of my kids are Freo lifers now I reckon (the 8 year old has been flirting with jumping to WC)
It was evident at the game that despite having skill deficiencies, this team just tries its guts out, can't wait for the replay to come up on Foxtel.
Great story and I'm sure the players appreciated having your support.

About you last sentence, I think most posters think we need more high end talent. But we were playing the team with pretty much the highest talent quotient possible. We also freely comment negatively about the general player skill level, and yet we just saw Taberner have greater impact than Hogan or Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back