Review Round 5 - GWS Giants v Fremantle Dockers, 20 April 2019, UNSW Oval Canberra @ 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The only positive to take out of this game is Jackson Hately. That kid has run all day and tried his heart out.

Davis will miss weeks, terribly twist.

Really disappointed in the boys today, this was lacklustre and listless and is a loss that will be costly later in the year.

Last edited:
13 clearances to Fyfe, 8 to Mundy then only 5 to the best Giant. Brutal. Hopper definitely needed to be better.

Can't reproach the defence too much because uncontested midfielders streaming inside 50 can pick out easy targets.

Reid is still a momentum killer. 24 disposals and it felt like at least half left us in worse positions.

Felt we played like a team expecting a win and in the end we deserved the loss. Fyfe destroyed us, probably mummy wouldve been the only one with a chance of crushing him into the turf but no luck with that today. Like the NEAFL team, we put in a 3/4 performance and in the AFL that just doesnt cut it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disappointed after that performance but I am sure the guys will be feeling much worse and they will hit the track hard during the week, and I think last weeks performance took it out of some of the players and I will say Freo played really well Fyfe, Walters and Mundy around the centre clearences dominated and I feel that was the main area that won the game along with the poor goal kicking from the Giants
Hopper and Taranto a little down after last week and then i feel that Kelly didnt really impact the game as I would expect but hopefully he can bounce back next week. Cameron went ok with the 4 goals and again just down from last week but he would have needed a great game to not be down on last week.
Hope Davis is just a sprain and hopefully he is ok for next week but I would back the mids to dominate next week and if Keefe/Corr comes in it will make it a 50/50 contest. Buntine and Lloyd will be under threat from Greene and I think it will come down to match ups with the Swans IMO

Poor game overall. We were a few percent off our normal game for the first three quarters. Backs were poor, allowing far too many Freo marks in the F50, and not due to any great Freo play, just our tall guys playing behind and not being urgent to get to the ball. Davis, Haynes & Taylor all poor IMHO. Mids were in a tight contest in those same three quarters, but doing OK - except for their finishing in front of goal. Should have been ahead at half time, and further ahead at 3/4 time. Some of those misses - Taranto, Daniels & Zaccy were real momentum and spirit killers. Throw in some dubious frees (that were entirely one way - our forwards were getting scragged and pulled to the ground without the ball but received nothing) and the boys just dropped their heads in the last when they needed to lift.

Cogs played tough in the contest, but disposal still an issue. Hopper and Taranto were both down today - perhaps a little complacent after last week's superb effort. Hately had a solid debut and can hold his head high with that effort.

Thought the forwards did OK - they contributed all except one goal; ball wasn't coming in greatly to their advantage and the Freo defenders were getting away with a fair amount that our defenders weren't. Our mids missing a number of gettable goals, plus a couple from the forwards (TOJ's poster, Brent's from in front) were important.

A bad loss at home, and really one that got away. We should have won that one. Fingers crossed for Davis; the description of Corr's NEAFL performance wasn't hugely comforting, and I don't rate Keeffe that much.

Last edited:
Pretty much where I expected us this to be this year . If we didnt win last week the bayonets would a!ready be out imo. Completely uninspired football , would think if anything we would play like freo did today. Freo reminds me of gws in 2015/2016.

Poor game overall. We were a few percent off our normal game for the first three quarters. Backs were poor, allowing far too many Freo marks in the F50, and not due to any great Freo play, just our tall guys playing behind and not being urgent to get to the ball. Davis, Haynes & Taylor all poor IMHO. Mids were in a tight contest in those same three quarters, but doing OK - except for their finishing in front of goal. Should have been ahead at half time, and further ahead at 3/4 time. Some of those misses - Taranto, Daniels & Zaccy were real momentum and spirit killers. Throw in some dubious frees (that were entirely one way - our forwards were getting scragged and pulled to the ground without the ball but received nothing) and the boys just dropped their heads in the last when they needed to lift.

Cogs played tough in the contest, but disposal still an issue. Hopper and Taranto were both down today - perhaps a little complacent after last week's superb effort. Hately had a solid debut and can hold his head high with that effort.

Thought the forwards did OK - they contributed all except one goal; ball wasn't coming in greatly to their advantage and the Freo defenders were getting away with a fair amount that our defenders weren't. Our mids missing a number of gettable goals, plus a couple from the forwards (TOJ's poster, Brent's from in front) were important.

A bad loss at home, and really one that got away. We should have won that one. Fingers crossed for Davis; the description of Corr's NEAFL performance wasn't hugely comforting, and I don't rate Keeffe that much.
Oh please.

You guys drank your own bath water all week and were beaten by a side who aren't that far off the mark in relation to how this year is playing out.

Oh please.

You guys drank your own bath water
Yeah, that happens. It will probably happen to Freo next week.
For me, Mummy isn't really a 22 week minor round , 3 finals type of player. He just doesn't have the energy for that.
Either we learn to play in 2-3 week alterations between Mummy & Daws, or... I don't know what the or is, but I think a full season of games for Shane is too much.

Yeah this is a loss I think.

Midfield not good enough. Poor finishing. No answer for Taberner.

From one of the best wins in club history to this. Geez.
Just got back to Sydney up the Hume.
Whole team seemed slow.
Liked Daniel’s effort throughout. Short guy but BIG heart.
Really disappointing driving all that way. Great cameraderie in the service stations on the way home.
Surely we could’ve changed from zone to 1:1 at some stage of the second half? We kept doing the switch but Freo were on to it and marking up immediately negating any benefit.
No one was accountable for any Freo player. They picked targets at will and hit their targets most of the time. Really accurate.
Bonus is Sydney aren’t playing well against the Tigers.

wander whether we might consider getting de boer to tag fyfe in the last quarter and reid to tag hill
Why didn’t he tag him from the start? I agree with you totally.
Was Matt tired after two tagging efforts in the last two games?

Green maggots not helping.

Tobey Greene rule shown to be only in use for Tobes.

Some very poor defence by the lads.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The female umpire stays too far off the contest. How does she see what’s what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back