Preview Round 5- Lions v Bulldogs, Etihad stadium, Saturday 22nd April 1.45pm.

Your tip and by how much?

• lions 1-12 points.

• lions 13-35 points.

• lions 36-59 points.

• lions 60+ thrashing.

• draw

• dogs 1-12 points.

• dogs 13-35 points.

• dogs 36-59 points.

• dogs 60+ points.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy stat: as of this week, Schache will have played more games in the AFL than Close.
Even crazier stat, in his 2 games this season Schache has taken 8 times as many marks as Close did in his 2 games.

But how many would he have taken if Close was there and getting the No1 defender?

I was thinking more along the lines of how many marks had Hipwood taken in those two games.

But how many would he have taken if Close was there and getting the No1 defender?

Would Close even get the number one defender? He isn't really a danger yet if let off the chain so it becomes a non-entity.

Would Close even get the number one defender? He isn't really a danger yet if let off the chain so it becomes a non-entity.
Yes I think he would and in the games he has played he has. The stronger body and if he was getting the third he could tear it apart. If Hippy got a lesser defender his life would be easier.

I think with Hipwood's mobility we can play all three and have Close playing Lester's role.

He has taken a few but isnt ready for a KP yet, which is why they have Lester there (getting in Schache's way).

He's taken 2 in the last 2 weeks after 10 in the first 2 rounds.

They would have swapped around a bit but it was interesting to see Rance start on Hipwood and Astbury on Schache. Not sure if this was because they thought Hipwood was more dangerous or they wanted Rance to run off him.

They would have swapped around a bit but it was interesting to see Rance start on Hipwood and Astbury on Schache. Not sure if this was because they thought Hipwood was more dangerous or they wanted Rance to run off him.
They probably feel Rance is more mobile and Hippy is the quicker of the two. Either way tough gig for two teenagers.

Yes I think he would and in the games he has played he has. The stronger body and if he was getting the third he could tear it apart. If Hippy got a lesser defender his life would be easier.

I think with Hipwood's mobility we can play all three and have Close playing Lester's role.

His stats from the first two rounds would give opposition coaches pause about leaving a second or third defender to Schache or Hipwood though, that's why they are in the team and Close is in the twos. Add in that Close hasn't torn apart a reserves game -ever- there is very little risk to leaving him to run around with a third defender from the start.

His stats from the first two rounds would give opposition coaches pause about leaving a second or third defender to Schache or Hipwood though, that's why they are in the team and Close is in the twos. Add in that Close hasn't torn apart a reserves game -ever- there is very little risk to leaving him to run around with a third defender from the start.

It's about structure though. At least 4 out of 5 times Hipwood is in a one on one he is comprehensively beaten. Close can bring the ball to his feet far more often and keep it in our forward line. Then put Hipwood into Bell's role where he can use his leap and athleticism at ground level to jump over packs or be able to crumb instead of being bashed over in a contest.

I think we'll use Lester forward to lead and create space inside forward 50 but there isn't an 'out' kick so we can bomb it long to a pack and then try and hold it in if we don't get a mark or a free. It will likely rebound as it did on the weekend.

I'm quite a big fan of Close and I can see a scenario where he forces his way into our best 22.

That said, his strength and physical maturity is a standout amongst our forwards, but I don't think he's so exceptionally big or strong that it would worry good AFL defenders. Hipwood is far less imposing, but his pace and agility (when he gets to use it) is actually something that AFL level defenders will really struggle with. I think that is probably why he's being given time to work himself into games (and develop senior level fitness) with a good defender on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure he'll make some noise.
giphy.gif

I'm quite a big fan of Close and I can see a scenario where he forces his way into our best 22.

That said, his strength and physical maturity is a standout amongst our forwards, but I don't think he's so exceptionally big or strong that it would worry good AFL defenders. Hipwood is far less imposing, but his pace and agility (when he gets to use it) is actually something that AFL level defenders will really struggle with. I think that is probably why he's being given time to work himself into games (and develop senior level fitness) with a good defender on him.

Still, just look at say, the Gold Coast game and see how many of the balls Close forces to the ground lead very quickly to Lions goals. It doesn't take long to see a few being racked up. Just that - and creating that extra dimension - even if he's not actually out-muscling opposition defenders by enough to win an aerial contest - is an important contribution.

I see Harwood kicked a few last weekend. Wondering if he will get an opportunity tomorrow.. Maybe rotate with Mcstay or Dawson.
Hoping so, as i haven't seen him play forward. Would be nice to have someone similar to Ash Mcgrath we can throw forward for an impact.

Still, just look at say, the Gold Coast game and see how many of the balls Close forces to the ground lead very quickly to Lions goals. It doesn't take long to see a few being racked up. Just that - and creating that extra dimension - even if he's not actually out-muscling opposition defenders by enough to win an aerial contest - is an important contribution.
Also important that the mids were running hard defensively, creating turnovers and getting quick precision kicks to advantage in the F50, just like the 3rd quarters of the Bombers, Saints & Tigers game. Allowing the forwards to have mismatches on defenders and not letting the opposition create 2on1's or 3on1's is more important than Close not taking marks and paddling the ball to ground.

If Hipwood isn't having an influence on the game then he's got to get smarter and figure out a way to influence the contest.

Last edited:
Despite his size Hippy is decent at crashing packs. If the ball isnt coming in well he needs to play off the drop zone and go for the big marks. Defenders have worked him out, play from behind and just push him under it. Do think he needs to get on his bike more, lead out, create some space behind and double back.

Yeah, I agree with that to a point, but of the two of them I'd say that Hipwood was more influential on the Suns game (certainly he was statistically), and certainly again in the Essendon game. Our forward structure hasn't looked as good in the subsequent games, but there are a whole load of reasons for that which have nothing to do with Close.

If Close was demolishing the NEAFL in the meanwhile then I'd see a clearer case to bring him back. As he's not, I think there's a strong argument to keep Hipwood in and teach him to work around those better defenders.

That is one advantage of Close, he doesn't seem to take that many marks but his defender doesn't necessarily either because of his ability to physically compete. In my opinion, we don't have reliable enough crumbing forwards to turn that to a win. I don't really know what I'm arguing though, because I would probably have him in along with Schache and Hipwood if I was picking the side because of his physicality and he defends from the front more effectively than the two kid talls. I just also understand the rationale for leaving him out.

I don't think we'll win but the Bulldogs are massively overrated this year. Two of the teams they've beaten haven't won yet this year, unconvincing win against a very average Collingwood team and were beaten by Freo away from home. None of the wins were particularly impressive. The media forget that they may have won the premiership last season but they did finish the regular season in 7th.

I'd say put some money on us at 8.50 but it's still us and we'll still probably get beaten easily.

I don't think we'll win but the Bulldogs are massively overrated this year. Two of the teams they've beaten haven't won yet this year, unconvincing win against a very average Collingwood team and were beaten by Freo away from home. None of the wins were particularly impressive. The media forget that they may have won the premiership last season but they did finish the regular season in 7th.

I'd say put some money on us at 8.50 but it's still us and we'll still probably get beaten easily.
Taking the line (50.5) probably isn't a bad bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back