Game Day ROUND 5: MELBOURNE v WEST COAST SUN 8th MARCH 12.10WST @ CASEY FIELDS

Remove this Banner Ad

17-1 free kicks in the second half. An incredibly fascinating spectacle of adjudication.

Terrible day for the girls. Effort dropped away, body language dropped, inability to string possession together. Ball movement out of the backline was non existent. Trying to get to beyond the wing was reliant on winning the centre clearance or getting the right bounce from a hacked kick.

Wasn't expecting a result today by any stretch, but my goodness that's a bad bad day at the office. Some nice signs early, especially by players who thus far have been the role players, but for the first time this season I genuinely think no positives to take away. Ouch.

I know it's going to be hard when you're an expansion side, and the list will be thoroughly turned over in the coming years, but I'd like to know in the ideal world where we're playing our perfect game - what does it look like? What is Dwyer's dream for how the best case Eagles game should look? Frankly at the moment I don't see where the structure even begins. From my absolute novice perspective, it seems like the gameplan is 'try'.

Umpiring was only a small fraction of our issues today. Completely wasted our good periods of play, and got punished hard in the many bad ones.
Team is well off the required standard, which we already knew. No big deal as long as we keep learning our lessons each week.
On the plus side it finished in time for the start of the Wildcats game.

No structure at all. Clear as day how Melbourne played the 2nd qtr

Don’t rate Dwyer and this game showed me a lot.

Back home to GCS next week at Laithlain

I’ll be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No structure at all. Clear as day how Melbourne played the 2nd qtr

Don’t rate Dwyer and this game showed me a lot.

Back home to GCS next week at Laithlain

I’ll be there.

Bingo.

Said early in the piece that I didn't rate his coaching.

FFS this week don't even bother training on the track ...... rather take the team through the tape breaking down why and how we were pantsed.
Breakdown the ball movement and positioning of players...... teach them so that they can improve.
Either he and his team don't know their stuff or cant communicate it to the players.
Cant believe the number of one and a half to two metre handball's we try and give off...... thats not enough time for your team mate to effectively react... all you are doing is selling them into trouble.

Bec Goddard pissed me off big time in the commentary box, but she does know her stuff.

Our structures and game plan are deplorable.

Last edited:
Bingo.

Said early in the piece that I didn't rate his coaching.

FFS this week don't even bother training on the track ...... rather take the team through the tape breaking down why and how we were pantsed.
Breakdown the ball movement and positioning of players...... teach them so that they can improve.

Either he and his team don't know their stuff or cant communicate it to the players.
Cant believe the number of one and a half to two metre handball's we try and give off...... thats not enough time for your team mate to effectively react... all you are doing is selling them into trouble.

Bec Goddard pissed me off big time in the commentary box, but she know her stuff.

Our structures and game plan are deplorable.
Difficulty with this is I think they're so behind structurally, any time you spend away from the track is wasted energy. You can't just say here is what we need to do and expect them to do it on game day, it needs to be drilled in and physically mapped out on the field for them.

As I said above, I'm entirely unsure what the perfect Eagles game looks like at the moment. For the men's side, if you say everything went perfectly for us, I have an image of how that game plays out - high posession, kick mark game style, precision foot skills to patiently open up the defence and limit opposition opportunities.

I don't know what Dwyer's perfect game is. I don't know what he wants after the opposition kick a behind. I don't know what he wants if we get a free kick in the centre circle. What's the ideal game look like, can anyone help out?

Difficulty with this is I think they're so behind structurally, any time you spend away from the track is wasted energy. You can't just say here is what we need to do and expect them to do it on game day, it needs to be drilled in and physically mapped out on the field for them.

As I said above, I'm entirely unsure what the perfect Eagles game looks like at the moment. For the men's side, if you say everything went perfectly for us, I have an image of how that game plays out - high posession, kick mark game style, precision foot skills to patiently open up the defence and limit opposition opportunities.

I don't know what Dwyer's perfect game is. I don't know what he wants after the opposition kick a behind. I don't know what he wants if we get a free kick in the centre circle. What's the ideal game look like, can anyone help out?

We haven't got any tall targets forward so the long bomb won't work.
Need to work the ball forward, with run and carry..... on your skills point need to work on the girls hand ball skills , its way off the pace.
Isolate skillful quick players in the forward line, example Cameron will win most one on ones.
The congestion thats in our forward line is self made ...... pockets and flankers need to stay wide and stay high.
We are very predictable at stoppages we more often than not go backwards before we go forwards, thats a style of play thats much easier to close down from an opposing coaches perspective.... and ever more so against us as they know Swanson and Hooker are the go to players.

Defensively ............. don't all be sucked into where the ball is, be mindful that we need players on the outside and 30 meters away for the release.
We to often play a scragging stacks on the mill sort of D and that in part is why we give away so many free kicks.

Stop going around the boundary on every forward thrust bring it in quick and down the centre corridor... we did that against the Doggies in the second half last week and that was a significant factor in why we won.

Last edited:
I agree with many comments on here, I can’t see what Dwyer is supposed to be doing and I don’t rate him at all at this stage. Our structures are terrible, we don’t seem to know what we’re doing, and we are playing people in the wrong positions. Bonser is an inside MID, not a wing, she should be inside the contest winning a hand ball out to someone on the outside. Dowrick, Radan and Gibson have done absolutely nothing to justify being selected every week. Maguire tried today but she is very unfit and should not be being selected over someone with run and skills like Kate Orme. Dowrick is normally a half back and uses her long kick to create opportunities, but at the moment she’s playing forward and not getting the ball to use it. Gibson should either be on the wing or tagging someone if she’s going to play.
We shot ourself in the foot when we didn’t draft a tall like Gilmore onto the list at the start, because we are relying on a Gaelic footballer who’s learning the game to be our tall target, so she will need time.
We don’t run to contests to crumb the footy, we watch opposition forwards as they make leads and take easy marks, and we make stupid decisions like kicking to a 1 on 2 or kick into the man on the mark when we have plenty of time to not do so.
Last week there was very little pressure so we were able to play more like a WAWFL game which suited our girls, once the pressure goes back on we struggle.
Also, that was the worst umpiring I’ve ever seen in any game of football ever, but it’s not the reason we lost. We are nowhere near AFLW standard at the moment unfortunately, so there’s gonna be a fair bit of this stuff happening for a while. It’s probably best just to try and look for any signs of improvement in the remaining games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back