Preview Round 5 Port vs Carlton @ MCG 6.55pm Sat 17/4/21

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DBJ is clearly an enigma on this Board and in the league.
In the last 2 years he has come RU and won the B&F without many of us giving him much of a chance.
I read a stat that had him in the top 5 Vote pollers (amount of times)for Coaches Votes in the Club over the last 2 years.
He made AA when most thought he was making up the numbers.
Added to the leadership group.
In round 2 he received a coaches vote when quite a few thought he played his worst game in 3 years and now he is wearing the PB's for something he did on Friday night when alot of us thought he was anonymous.
He just seems to perennially go under the radar.
Probably gets the bars for the chase down tackle effort

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robbie Gray 2014

• Games: 22 (14 wins)
• Disposals: 551 @ 25.04 per game
• Clearances: 127 @ 5.77
• Goals: 34 @ 1.54
• Goal Assists: 28 @ 1.27
• Brownlow Votes: 14 (19th)
• Best & Fairest: Yes
• All-Australian: Yes
• AFLCA MVP: Yes

Matt Priddis 2014

• Games: 22 (11 wins)
• Disposals: 627 @ 28.50
• Clearances: 147 @ 6.68
• Goals: 10 @ 0.45
• Goal Assists: 7 @ 0.32
• Brownlow Votes: 26 (winner)
• Best & Fairest: No
• All-Australian: No
• AFLCA MVP: No

🤪
Aprt from the ego trip I reckon players would value the AFLCA award more anyway.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched both games last week (us and yours).

Yours was played like a final - hard, physical and an absolute joy to watch. Ours was a complete cripple fight up at Metricon and was the most forgettable game I've seen in years (between the Suns flooding our F50 with 18 blokes, skill errors galore, some ordinary umpiring both ways, and the conditions).

Based on that exposed form, you blokes should roll us, unless the physicality of your match last week makes it hard to back it up.

JSOS is out for us and will likely be replaced by McGovern who has kicked a few in his two recent VFL matches, and Dow will be dropped after 4 underwhelming games (likely for Williams).

Largely agree with what's been said on here; our biggest weakness is turnovers - we don't have the footskills of top teams, and if you bring pressure, we will turn it over. We still bomb it into F50 and usually get murdered by third up talls intercepting. Our pressure is Jeckyl and Hyde - we either bring it or we dont. If we dont, we lose. While we're capable of scoring fast, we open ourselves up to getting slaughtered on the rebound as well.

When we're playing well, we lock the ball in our F50 like most teams, and Jones and Weitering are a wall. I would expect Weitering to get the job on Dixon this week after he slaughtered Jones last time, which also frees up Jones to do what he does best with third man up intercepts (he's been dominant the last two weeks with intercept marks).

Both teams have some pretty big outs.

On paper you should roll us with the three variables being if you can back up last weeks hard physical game with another one, the MCG factor, and which Carlton turns up.

Looking forward to it personally. You guys are a form team, and it should be a good challenge for us.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Yours was played like a final - hard, physical and an absolute joy to watch. Ours was a complete cripple fight up at Metricon and was the most forgettable game I've seen in years (between the Suns flooding our F50 with 18 blokes, skill errors galore, some ordinary umpiring both ways, and the conditions).

Based on that exposed form, you blokes should roll us, unless the physicality of your match last week makes it hard to back it up.

JSOS is out for us and will likely be replaced by McGovern who has kicked a few in his two recent VFL matches, and Dow will be dropped after 4 underwhelming games (likely for Williams).

Largely agree with what's been said on here; our biggest weakness is turnovers - we don't have the footskills of top teams, and if you bring pressure, we will turn it over. We still bomb it into F50 and usually get murdered by third up talls intercepting. Our pressure is Jeckyl and Hyde - we either bring it or we dont. If we dont, we lose. While we're capable of scoring fast, we open ourselves up to getting slaughtered on the rebound as well.

When we're playing well, we lock the ball in our F50 like most teams, and Jones and Weitering are a wall. I would expect Weitering to get the job on Dixon this week after he slaughtered Jones last time, which also frees up Jones to do what he does best with third man up intercepts (he's been dominant the last two weeks with intercept marks).

On paper you should roll us with the three variables being if you can back up last weeks hard physical game with another one, the MCG factor, and which Carlton turns up.

Looking forward to it personally. You guys are a form team, and it should be a good challenge for us.

Port be like:

Just kidding. We will probably drop this one after the win against Richmond. This has happened more often than we would like to admit — a big win, followed by a “bye week” loss.

Has anyone who's going jumped on and bought tickets yet? We've got a group of 8 with some non Port members so we're going to purchase in the GA window after 1pm. We need to buy in two groups of 4 with the limit per transaction being 6. Can anyone confirm if you're able to select seats or a bay or is it all random?

John the Butcher

Does not support the Ken Hinkley Football Club
May 27, 2014
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Got tickets using code PORTPOWER21 (yes I know)
You have to provide all names of the attendees and it assigns the ticket to them but the bright sparks don't let you assign the ticket type to an individual person so I have the Mrs' concession attached to me.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DBJ is clearly an enigma on this Board and in the league.
In the last 2 years he has come RU and won the B&F without many of us giving him much of a chance.
I read a stat that had him in the top 5 Vote pollers (amount of times)for Coaches Votes in the Club over the last 2 years.
He made AA when most thought he was making up the numbers.
Added to the leadership group.
In round 2 he received a coaches vote when quite a few thought he played his worst game in 3 years and now he is wearing the PB's for something he did on Friday night when alot of us thought he was anonymous.
He just seems to perennially go under the radar.
I went back and re-watched a bit of the Geelong final last year yesterday. He was absolutely incredible in it, and that was the form he maintained throughout 2020. Deserved the 2020 AA and deserved top 2 in the Port B&F (shouldn't have won it to be fair).

Hasn't played a game anywhere near that level so far this year. Similar to Dixon it seems like he hasn't yet gotten back from pre-season.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ticketing is a joke... I have a Victorian membership, and I can't get a ticket sitting with my brother (who is flying across for game) even using the PORTPOWER21 code.

Usually we could just sit in GA together, which I guess we will both have to get now... means my membership is completely worthless here.

Has anyone found a way around this issue?

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Dixon will pull his finger out this game and Marshall to roam around the 50.
It's a night game you know and whether true or not there's murmurings about his eyesight at night.

Yeah we're a bit banged up but they've got some outs too, we're on an 8 day break and by comparison they're on a short turn-a-round.

Should win and looking for big games from whoever is brought in.

Get it done Ports.

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United

Nice assessment I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

Nah seriously I agree with lots of this especially the impact of the game last week and if the replacements we bring in can do a job

I watched bits of your game and I think something has to be said regarding the conditions it was dry but looked and played like a wet weather game that would’ve taken something out of the spectacle I think

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Has anyone who's going jumped on and bought tickets yet? We've got a group of 8 with some non Port members so we're going to purchase in the GA window after 1pm. We need to buy in two groups of 4 with the limit per transaction being 6. Can anyone confirm if you're able to select seats or a bay or is it all random?
You can choose which bay you want, just click it on the map to the left of the page. Sorry for invading just was lurking and figured I could help, hope it's a good game this weekend :thumbsu:

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robbie Gray 2014

• Games: 22 (14 wins)
• Disposals: 551 @ 25.04 per game
• Clearances: 127 @ 5.77
• Goals: 34 @ 1.54
• Goal Assists: 28 @ 1.27
• Brownlow Votes: 14 (19th)
• Best & Fairest: Yes
• All-Australian: Yes
• AFLCA MVP: Yes

Matt Priddis 2014

• Games: 22 (11 wins)
• Disposals: 627 @ 28.50
• Clearances: 147 @ 6.68
• Goals: 10 @ 0.45
• Goal Assists: 7 @ 0.32
• Brownlow Votes: 26 (winner)
• Best & Fairest: No
• All-Australian: No
• AFLCA MVP: No

🤪
I've not seen too many individual seasons like Robbie's 2014, he was a freak.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
if we lose to an average team like Carlton we can pretty much kiss any hope of a premiership good bye. All it will mean is that soft underbelly we've had all through the Ken era is still there, i dont really care if Carlton play out of their skins we should be in a position to professionally deal with these minnows rather than play some pathetic style of football like Carlton are some sort of threat.

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
if we lose to an average team like Carlton we can pretty much kiss any hope of a premiership good bye. All it will mean is that soft underbelly we've had all through the Ken era is still there, i dont really care if Carlton play out of their skins we should be in a position to professionally deal with these minnows rather than play some pathetic style of football like Carlton are some sort of threat.
[/QUOTE
The finals are in September mate.

Back