Preview Round 5 Port vs Carlton @ MCG 6.55pm Sat 17/4/21

Remove this Banner Ad

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
if we lose to an average team like Carlton we can pretty much kiss any hope of a premiership good bye. All it will mean is that soft underbelly we've had all through the Ken era is still there, i dont really care if Carlton play out of their skins we should be in a position to professionally deal with these minnows rather than play some pathetic style of football like Carlton are some sort of threat.
Yeah the only way I'll accept a loss would be with a -20 free kick count (which is definitely possible vs the blues)

Carlton have a long history of over performing against us that dates back to the draw in 2005. I never go in confident against them and normally it plays out that way with either a Carlton win or a very closely fought Port win. The only game I can remember where they didn't challenge us was in 2017 where we whacked them by 100+.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Carlton have a long history of over performing against us that dates back to the draw in 2005. I never go in confident against them and normally it plays out that way with either a Carlton win or a very closely fought Port win. The only game I can remember where they didn't challenge us was in 2017 where we whacked them by 100+.

Round 22 of 2014 we smacked them by 103 as well.

Round 22 of 2014 we smacked them by 103 as well.
Should have worn the Prison Bars that night. Somehow 100 years since our 1914 Championship of Australia victory vs Carlton isn't important. But our home jumper clashing with the visiting Richmond team a few weeks later is.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just watching the clip of the Showdown, you have to think that Wingard has wasted his talent.

Anyway, on the game itself, I'm as worried as many others. We should win but the injuries mean that we are going to be a little unsettled and last week's game would have taken a lot out of us. That's the other reason we have to take our chances when they are there. If we kicked straight in the second, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as tiring.

Loyal2Port

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United
Battle of the whose belly is softest. We let these trams kick 10 to 12 goals against us, we should be looking to keep Carlton under 8 goals. Light bodied and poorly skilled

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Honestly can't remember the last time we played a Saturday night game at the MCG... Going to say maybe Richmond in 2016 when Howard played ruck all night and we won? Really important that we put up a good show there.
Sat nights at the G
2016 Rich 35 pt win
2013 Coll EF 24 pt win

Fri nights at the G
2013 Geel SF 16 pt loss
2004 Coll 37 pt win
1999 Coll 1 pt win
1997 Ess 50 pt win

5 wins from 6, and the 6th was a great effort.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We're getting a good fixture this year, plenty of primetime games so far, that's the benefit of being minor premiers.
Last time we were minor premiers (2004!), we got one MCG game in each of 2005 and 2006.
Last time we made a GF (2007) we got one MCG game in 2008.
When we were one of the most exciting teams in the league in 2013, we were scheduled one MCG game in 2014 and 2015.

So forgive me if I'm a little wary.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I watched both games last week (us and yours).

Yours was played like a final - hard, physical and an absolute joy to watch. Ours was a complete cripple fight up at Metricon and was the most forgettable game I've seen in years (between the Suns flooding our F50 with 18 blokes, skill errors galore, some ordinary umpiring both ways, and the conditions).

Based on that exposed form, you blokes should roll us, unless the physicality of your match last week makes it hard to back it up.

JSOS is out for us and will likely be replaced by McGovern who has kicked a few in his two recent VFL matches, and Dow will be dropped after 4 underwhelming games (likely for Williams).

Largely agree with what's been said on here; our biggest weakness is turnovers - we don't have the footskills of top teams, and if you bring pressure, we will turn it over. We still bomb it into F50 and usually get murdered by third up talls intercepting. Our pressure is Jeckyl and Hyde - we either bring it or we dont. If we dont, we lose. While we're capable of scoring fast, we open ourselves up to getting slaughtered on the rebound as well.

When we're playing well, we lock the ball in our F50 like most teams, and Jones and Weitering are a wall. I would expect Weitering to get the job on Dixon this week after he slaughtered Jones last time, which also frees up Jones to do what he does best with third man up intercepts (he's been dominant the last two weeks with intercept marks).

Both teams have some pretty big outs.

On paper you should roll us with the three variables being if you can back up last weeks hard physical game with another one, the MCG factor, and which Carlton turns up.

Looking forward to it personally. You guys are a form team, and it should be a good challenge for us.
Like to see a realist around the place. Your game last week was horrible to watch, I wanted to watch you guys in advance, but it was unbearable. Glad to see fans agree.

In regards to what beats us. Well Carltons few strengths hurt us. We usually dominate clearance, but when we don't that hurts us big time. Carlton being a good centre square and clearance team, that can get hot, can cause us trouble here. The reason this causes us trouble is that our defence is extremely poor when exposed to quick entry. We concede very high scores from clearance, especially center clearances. The other concern for us, is if teams get on top here and are good with their forward press, they can lock it in against us for a while, and we are extremely prone to cracking under repeat entry pressure and coughing up goals/scores. In fact we are more likely to cough up a score as our means of getting out of the press, than we are to actually escape it against good press teams.

In general though, the key areas that have lost us games are fast midfields that beat us in clearance through an intensity and pressure we struggle to match, and teams that can beat our forward press easily. As when they beat our press we get hammered, ie. see Geelong and Brisbane last year, both sides were able to hit easy kicks out all night and tore our defence to shreds on the back of it.

I don't think you have the skill to beat our press, so your chance will come down to winning the midfield, getting the ball to ground inside F50 and creating chaos to score and lock it in.

I would suspect we will only need to break even in the clearances, and break the ball into space where our skills should hurt you. Do that and we should be efficient enough going forward and with our press to create enough genuine opportunities, or opportunities off turnover. We never play anywhere near our best against you guys though, so who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can’t wait for the salty Carlton fans to boo Robbie Gray 😂😂

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Weather looking sweet

1618459375894.png

Some great clips there including this. Which never gets old

Whenever I watch this and other clips from Chad's early years, I see the sheer joy and exhilaration he got from those moments. Admittedly I don’t see a lot of him playing nowadays, but I can’t recall seeing that from him for a while, even before he left Port.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
Can Lienert play on wing folks ?? Does he have an engine ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back