Preview Round 5 - Richmond vs eeny, meeny, miny, Melbourne: Channel 7, Sunday July 5, 3:35 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
1/ This is entertaining & bizarre ... I’m frustrated with our individual & collective lack of form too

2/ BUT - If you read some of the comments in this thread, you’d think we were a team full of spuds

3/ We forget very quickly the joy that this club/ team has given us over the past 3 years ... it’s not a viable option to drop everyone at the same time

4/ Should we do a “rebuild” after TWO losses?

You make four points so lets do the 4 points.
1/ The one thing that is truly certain to most tiger supporters atm.But rather than just make a bland statement ask why is this the case?

2/ A team full of spuds na. What has constantly been commented on even in 17 and 19 and even now is the fact we have had a handful of top players and the rest generally amount to role players. Please let us all know what a role player is and what are the expectations?

3/ your kidding arent ya. the only way teams evolve for the better is by change i mean ffs how hard is it to replace a whole heap of role players??

4/ Do we do a rebuild? .every single yr is a rebuild yr weather we are premiers or wooden spooners .one game or 1000.all teams keep on evolving. They continually evolve for one simple reason, no team is full of champions, and foot soldiers are constantly upgraded.

Being on this site is like being with a bunch of people who think we have reached the zenith and there is no room for not just improvement but a lot of improvement.

The same can be said for Castagna, who is a focal point for us yet averages less goals and marks than Shai? Castagna has done a worse job of his role so far this year than what Shai has. The whole 'Not performing his role' argument is crap given his competitions performance.
Yep and I'd be willing to suggest that he is in the gun also if he doesn't start to turn things around. Pretty much everyone is in the gun at the moment.

Also disagree on the not performing their role argument being crap. We're a systems based side and currently the systems aren't working. One of those systems that isn't working is our small forwards. We rely on our small forwards putting on pressure when the opposition is trying to get the ball out of our F50 to create turnovers and it's not happening so clearly our small forwards aren't performing their role, so we need to make changes to find a mix that works.

Now I will say I don't agree with the decision to drop Bolton, but looking a little deeper at the stats given they were introduced to the discussion about him being omitted it shows a few areas that he isn't quite hitting the mark that we need him to be so they send him back to hopefully address those areas.

You make four points so lets do the 4 points.
1/ The one thing that is truly certain to most tiger supporters atm.But rather than just make a bland statement ask why is this the case?

2/ A team full of spuds na. What has constantly been commented on even in 17 and 19 and even now is the fact we have had a handful of top players and the rest generally amount to role players. Please let us all know what a role player is and what are the expectations?

3/ your kidding arent ya. the only way teams evolve for the better is by change i mean ffs how hard is it to replace a whole heap of role players??

4/ Do we do a rebuild? .every single yr is a rebuild yr weather we are premiers or wooden spooners .one game or 1000.all teams keep on evolving. They continually evolve for one simple reason, no team is full of champions, and foot soldiers are constantly upgraded.

Being on this site is like being with a bunch of people who think we have reached the zenith and there is no room for not just improvement but a lot of improvement.

There’s definitely room for improvement but some people take things a bit far ... we’re not Melbourne or Adelaide YET

Yep and I'd be willing to suggest that he is in the gun also if he doesn't start to turn things around. Pretty much everyone is in the gun at the moment.

Also disagree on the not performing their role argument being crap. We're a systems based side and currently the systems aren't working. One of those systems that isn't working is our small forwards. We rely on our small forwards putting on pressure when the opposition is trying to get the ball out of our F50 to create turnovers and it's not happening so clearly our small forwards aren't performing their role, so we need to make changes to find a mix that works.

Now I will say I don't agree with the decision to drop Bolton, but looking a little deeper at the stats given they were introduced to the discussion about him being omitted it shows a few areas that he isn't quite hitting the mark that we need him to be so they send him back to hopefully address those areas.

I understand that. But do you have those same stats for Castagna? Be interesting to see what areas Castagna is below avergae in compared to Bolton.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Just on Bolton and why he may have been dropped.

He ranks below average in the following categories:
Disposals
Marks
Kicks
Handballs
Disposals Efficiency
Effective Disposals
Contested possessions
Uncontested possessions
Tackles Inside 50 - 1.3 per game
Pressure acts - 12.8 per game
Goal assists

Now granted out forward line hasn't been functioning at it's best, but he has not really done the little things that you expect to see from a pressure small forward so like Rioli the previous week he has paid the price for not performing at the level that is expected of him and will be sent back to the scratch match side and work on those things listed above.

The side as a whole has been performing well below average and people were demanding changes be made to try and kick start the season so those that aren't performing at their best are going to be moved in and out of the side until it clicks and we get the season moving in the right direction again.
Dawgonnit RT, you dun gone and crapped all over everyone's narrative. Hell, the wax dummy melts were best...

I understand that. But do you have those same stats for Castagna? Be interesting to see what areas Castagna is below avergae in compared to Bolton.
Below average for Castagna:
Disposals
Kicks
Handballs
Marks
I50s
Contested Possessions
Uncontested possessions
Effective Disposals
Tackles I50
Pressure Acts.

Would say he is coming under pressure to hold his spot as well.

Big Footy is confused about who we’re playing
0F194CB3-2E21-4075-89EC-9D2FCF8B2E4B.jpeg

Below average for Castagna:
Disposals
Kicks
Handballs
Marks
I50s
Contested Possessions
Uncontested possessions
Effective Disposals
Tackles I50
Pressure Acts.

Would say he is coming under pressure to hold his spot as well.

Yep. Another poor game from him and he should be dropped next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Another poor game from him and he should be dropped next week.
No argument here. With so many guys out of form it's no shock that we've made 5 unforced changes the last 2 weeks. When was the last time outside last years early injury run that we've made so many changes for poor form.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Bolton super stiff. Has been in our top half dozen players this year. Rioli's write up in the 2's wasn't even impressive. Shouldn't be near this team

not sure what role Aarts plays as we already have a slow small forward in Higgins.
hoping Balta and chol can make an impact
"I thought his work rate was really good. He worked hard, being 16 v 16, it forces you to, but we know that's when he's at his best, when he's working hard and running hard. He had a lot of the ball and it was great to see him being able to win possession, apply pressure and also kick two goals."

Higgo might play more midfield.

RFCGloryJC

Dimma is silent partner in CCJ Kebabs & Tabac
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
We've been leading inside 50s each week.
Collingwood had 42 inside 50s, only 33% conversion rate to scoring shots, means 28 times Dons can rebound.
Essendon had fewer inside 50s, almost 1 in 2 conversion rate, to scoring shots.
Far more efficient conversion and less rebound, less times caught out of position.

Last edited:

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Bolton has not been dropped, he is being managed as he was very sore after the game. I know this is 100% spot on.

Bolton has not been dropped, he is being managed as he was very sore after the game. I know this is 100% spot on.
Then they should have said he was managed/rested rather than omitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back