Review Round 5: Sat 22 April at 13:05 - Box Hill Hawks vs Coburg Lions

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
BHH getting it done comfortably.
Boys playing with the mentality of being significantly better than their oppo.

BHH forward line has been exceptional in many respects.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
This is a brutally efficient last quarter - absolutely blowing them out of the water, largely from centre clearances.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Oh boy oh boy Weddle

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not just the offensive stuff, Weddle has been superb defensively. That contest where he spoilt then also followed up with a tackle to kill the ball was chefs kiss

Needs to be fast tracked into the seniors and the best way for that to happen would be to play off half back in the seniors. But who is he going to replace? Do we move someone else like Dimma or Sicily forward to get weddle game time?

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Needs to be fast tracked into the seniors and the best way for that to happen would be to play off half back in the seniors. But who is he going to replace? Do we move someone else like Dimma or Sicily forward to get weddle game time?
Too many defenders on our list. Now Seamus is a lock.
He has to shift to a wing.

Jet_black

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good call by match committee to hold off promoting Rama to seniors. He was ok but still a work in progress. Meek also ok but could have imposed himself a bit more. Stephens needs a week or two more to get rhythm - he was better in the second half.

Weddle has his papers stamped for a stint in the seniors.

Butler had his moments and wow Bennetts should be pressing to be upgraded so he can play seniors some time this year.

Cal Brown continues to get the ball and could get a MSD reprieve.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Well the floodgates opened for Box Hill in the final quarter and Coburg were completely outclassed having been quite competitive up till then.
Weddle will be playing AFL sooner than later, Ramsden has a future but don’t want to rush him, Stephens showed a bit and Kosi kicked straight.
What is not to like about that.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Too many defenders on our list. Now Seamus is a lock.
He has to shift to a wing.

Sorry what I meant was do we move someone out of defence to fit him into the senior side?

We tried to play him on the wing at Box Hill for the first 2 games in which he looked out of place. He has since been moved back into defence (like he played U/18 year) and has since dominated.

Is it more beneficial to the team to fast track Josh by playing him in the seniors in his first 2yrs in the backline like to get use to the pace of AFL and then move him to the Wing once he is settled in? Like what we did with Day?

For me it’s either half back in the AFL this year of spend the next 12 months in the VFL learning the wing role

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just got back.

Weddle taking the absolute piss. Rolls Royce. Just powers up and down the ground. He exploded away from opponents multiple times, and constantly made himself an option. As strong defensively and he is offensively. AFL debut will not be far off.

Was very impressed with Stephens when they played him through the middle.
He got a proper run at it in the third quarter, and looked comfortably the best midfielder. Was pushed back to the wing in the 4th quarter and didn't get much chance to impress as we were consistently winning it out the center and going direct. Can see why Geelong didn't want to get rid of him.

Butler very very good. Too good for VFL. If a small has a down week against the Crows he's ready to take their spot.

Kossie was much much better this week. Flew for a lot more, found good pockets to run into and kicked straight.

Ramsden is going to be a beauty. I feel like he's a great chance to debut next week.

Bramble best on in the fourth quarter. Played the Nick Daicos distributor role in the first three quarters and then was pushed into the guts in the 4th and did really really well. Again, probably too good for VFL.

Bramble another. Just too good for VFL.
He's the perfect depth player on an AFL list. Wouldn't be on much but when called upon is handy. Jonathon Simpkin-like.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sounds like I may have missed a few , popped by and saw a bit of the game

If you get a chance to see BHH live please do
- Weddle could step straight into AFL and gas out some pretty decent AFL athletes . His running live is unbelievable and he isnt a small kid .
Could be a weapon and I think once he is promoted he wont be back
-Bennetts has beautiful touch and skill . A real prospect
  • Rama was quite but looked dangerous I would be very tempted for a double change with he and Lewis in . Huge talent and the oppo look very weary of him .
  • Stephens needs games but I think he will be pressing if not in Seniors in the next 4-6 . Had a real patch of domination and looks a lovely compliment to our young mids.
  • BMac a watch . Lightening . Think in 12 months he is banging the door down
  • Butler has it . He and JOS look a duo and a half . Our concerns aboit dynamic smalls will disappear quickly at senior level

Thats all I can think of for now . BHH is a high talent side its exciting stuff and the best thing is only real supporters ( no media etc ) know what we have in the sheds .

Back