Review Round 5: Sat 22 April at 13:05 - Box Hill Hawks vs Coburg Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

At bare minimum even if they don't get senior call up, these performances means many other clubs are doing to be asking questions about our depth players at end of season.

That was… our least good performance of the year. A big win yes but … I was not impressed.

Kudos to Coburg. They moved the ball beautifully down the far wing. They dominated the game for much of the match. It started in the centre where we had dominance in the ruck but were initially badly beaten in clearances. Maybe the ruck change with Meek and our mids did not gel. But we got spanked early.

We looked lackadaisical. I’ll give that we blocked the middle and the back half and made Coburg shoot from the boundary, but they cut us up constantly until that last kick.

Yes we were good ( not great) on the turnover and our man Thorpe was awesome both in 1:1 and when a pack mark was needed, but damn… we were beaten in general play against the bottom team.

That was not the Box Hill that I have seen in the last 4 games.

Our usual engine room in the middle were badly beaten for the first 3 qtrs.

And a 2nd shout out to the Coburg set up / coaching. They were great at setting up well behind the ball to cut our run.

Eventually the tide of our talent was too much … and we piled on 7 goals.

it was our worst game…But a few players shone:

Weddle: yep! Was great…. Today he was box Hill’s B.OG.

The games B.O.G was Ben Jepson from Coburg. In a team that lost badly, he was awesome.

Bramble: hit his targets today. Hitting targets is his major fault... he over kicks the ball... but mostly not today. Seamus has his spot. Bramble has put the pressure on Seamus today.

Jack O’Sullivan: his first half of his game was not close to what I believe is his standard as he fumbled and was and not good. But in the 2nd half he shone. The guy is something, we just don’t know how much. I am a huge fan.

Callum Brown was only OK today. Maybe I am being harsh but he was beaten by Podhajski in the clearances in the half. Or was it Maginness being beaten… not sure who… but our mids were initially slaughtered by guys roving to our ruck.

Cooper Stephens was OK and at times good. Frankly, I want him to dominate the centre. He and Long are looking at the same spot and Long has the position

Max Ramsden: Is .., “Potential” personified. Does things a 203cm person should not be able to do…. = a pickup below the knees and swings around like a small fwd, and snap a goal. He is an aspiring ruckman… not good yet for AFL level but looks to tap to advantage. Takes a mark. Stupid talent. I hope we let him develop at VFL level. As much as Hawthorn needs a tall fwd, we need development more.

Kosie: a very positive day. His best day in… a long time. The guy took some marks … awesome… And he kicked goals… kicking strait.. even more awesome. Could not have done more. Well done Kozie… not a call up yet though.

Jeka: good to see him back. A fine mark and a few good-looking but not effective kicks. Jeks looks good… now he has to be as good because he may have just a few months left on the list…

Bennetts was messy for the first time and Butler was, even thought he kicked 3, a ghost. neither impressed. For mine Butler needs to have time in the midfield.

We won this game very well on the scoreboard but we’re beaten for 3 of 4 qtrs in general play. Against the bottom team.
It was a good result from a bad day.

Last edited:
That was… our least good performance of the year. A big win yes but … I was not impressed.

Cudos to Coburg. They moved the ball beautifully down the far wing. They dominated the game for much of the match. It started in the centre where we had dominance in the ruck but were initially badly beaten in clearances. Maybe the ruck change with Meek and our mids did not gel. But we got spanked early.

We looked lackadaisical. I’ll give that we blocked the middle and the back half and made Coburg shoot from the boundary, but they cut us up constantly until that last kick.

Yes we were good ( not great) on the turnover and our man Thorpe was awesome both in 1:1 and when a pack mark was needed, but damn… we were beaten in general play against the bottom team.

And a 2nd shout out to the Coburg set up / coaching. They were great at setting up well behind the ball to cut our run.

The games B.O.G was Ben Jepson from Coburg. In a team that lost badly, he was awesome.

Bramble: hit his targets today. Hitting targets is his major fault... he over kicks the ball... but mostly not today. Seamus has his spot. Bramble has put the pressure on Seamus today.

Jack O’Sullivan: his first half of his game was not close to what I believe is his standard as he fumbled and was and not good. But in the 2nd half he shone. The guy is something, we just don’t know how much. I am a huge fan.

Callum Brown was only OK today. Maybe I am being harsh but he was beaten by Podhajski in the clearances in the half. Or was it Maginness being beaten… not sure who… but our mids were initially slaughtered by guys roving to our ruck.

Cooper Stephens was OK and at times good. Frankly, I want him to dominate the centre. He and Long are looking at the same spot and Long has the position

Max Ramsden: Is .., “Potential” personified. Does things a 203cm person should not be able to do…. = a pickup below the knees and swings around like a small fwd, and snap a goal. He is an aspiring ruckman… not good yet for AFL level but looks to tap to advantage. Takes a mark. Stupid talent. I hope we let him develop at VFL level. As much as Hawthorn needs a tall fwd, we need development more.

Kosie: a very positive day. His best day in… a long time. The guy took some marks … awesome… And he kicked goals… kicking strait.. even more awesome. Could not have done more. Well done Kozie… not a call up yet though.

Jeka: good to see him back. A fine mark and a few good-looking but not effective kicks. Jeks looks good… now he has to be as good because he has just a few months left on the list…

Bennetts was messy for the first time and Butler was, even thought he kicked 3, a ghost. neither impressed.

for mine Butler needs to have time in the midfield.

We won this game very well on the scoreboard but we’re beaten for 3 of 4 qtrs in general play. Against the bottom team.

Most of your post I agree with, but I disagree with a few parts

1. I thought Coburg played as well as they could with limited personnel, they lack talls and maybe a little class at either end, but their midfield really competed well and even their ruck played well against Meek, I thought other than that last quarter their effort was better than most opponents we have faced this year, there is expectation, then there's reality and the reality is they played as well as they could and against a weaker team Coburg would have won, expectation is we win in a canter, but Coburg were up for a fight and so we had to tough it out.

2. Bennetts I thought was one of our better players once again and 3 goals to Butler doing his best Breust impersonation is a good result, he is playing the finisher role to perfection

3. You're too hung up on them being bottom, any team who puts in their best effort has a chance against any team.

Box hill have a big man brigade which is a level above VFL but not consistent enough to solve our AFL problems.

Meek is still finding his way

Box hill are absorbing pressure at VFL, but slicing through teams when in posession. At AFL level the hawks are the ones putting in, but being sliced

Cudos to Coburg. They moved the ball beautifully down the far wing. They dominated the game for much of the match. It started in the centre where we had dominance in the ruck but were initially badly beaten in clearances. Maybe the ruck change with Meek and our mids did not gel. But we got spanked early.

Jeka: good to see him back. A fine mark and a few good-looking but not effective kicks. Jeks looks good… now he has to be as good because he has just a few months left on the list…

Bennetts was messy for the first time and Butler was, even thought he kicked 3, a ghost. neither impressed.

for mine Butler needs to have time in the midfield.

I concur.. I had the same impression with few diffs.

Coburg were good except for that last kick, credit to BH defense too.

Bennetts was good IMO. Wanted more from Jeka, still has that pissed off look. Noticed a few times he didn't even bother to run up to the goal kicker for a pat. I get the Shannon Noll - What about me vibes.

Agree Box Hill were a little flat yesterday - just doing enough to maintain the buffer in the middle qtrs. They weren't up playing on the edge at all.

But a young side can't be expected to not have off-peak days, especially playing an opposition they know they can comfortably account for.

Given that, it was an excellent result.

We'll find out a lot more after we play Casey next week. So far we've only beaten sides currently 9th, 14th, 20th and 21st on the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Coburg, they were much better than I'd been lead to believe. They were great when in possession, decent skills and fast transition. Had they kicked straight in the middle qtrs the match might have had a different look.

But they were poor when we had the ball, and struggled to get it off us without us handing to them with skill errors, which we did too much of early on.

Just wondering if anyone can give an update on how Morris and Blanc went in this match. Looking at the scores, they probably didn't feature much. I still think both are in the Hawks mix long term.

Just wondering if anyone can give an update on how Morris and Blanc went in this match. Looking at the scores, they probably didn't feature much. I still think both are in the Hawks mix long term.
Blanck won the medal for most courageous for this ANZAC game, so did really well. In case of DGB's ribs not coming up, could see him as an inclusion this week against the Dogs' tall timber. Didn't see much of Morris; he has had an understated start back from injury.

I hope Kosi can step up again next week, and play a blinder...

More than any other player, I suspect it's all in his head...

His best has shown he can be competitive at AFL level, his worst he looks like not even near it. The gap between the two is astonishing. Some games he takes marks and makes a really good contest and you think "maybe he could be the number 2 to Lewis after all, I was wrong...", and then in other games he is a liability to the point they subbed him at half time and doesn't get a game in a side with a key forward crisis when the opportunity is right there for him. Sometimes his set shot looked way more reliable than Gunston last year... in other games recently he didn't look like kicking a goal and technique was all of the place.

This year Kosi's started off with his poor form to the point he is suddenly under real pressure with his spot on the list... but as you say, wouldn't be surprised if he confuses us again at some point and once again gives a glimmer of hope he could make it with a 180 turnaround in form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back