Review Round 5: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, it was great to see Tom play well. Whatever your feelings on him, he should be given 6 weeks. THEN we can decide whether he is good enough or whether he should be in the side. He was good today.

Swans are still one of the top teams and will finish in the top 4. Slightly off day and the dogs punished you with efficiency in front of goal which. The inside 50 and clearance differential in the swans favour would see you beat them 9 out of every 10 times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitche'll kicking isn't great but the rest of them are no better than average at best, and that is generous. We better hope it doesn't rain again, the wet really shows how shocking our basic skills are. Honestly if it were me I'd be playing Hewett for one, don't care that he may only get it 20 times, he is known for his ball use. Jones is a better user of the ball than Shaw. Those changes straight away improve our efficiency.

Mitchell can be in and under the packs dishing handballs, he knows his limitations with his kicking.

That's just my point though, he doesn't seem to know his limitations. You know who was a naturally shitty kick but was still not bad by foot? Brett Kirk. Didn't try to do things he couldn't do, didn't try to kick the leather off it, barely ever tried to kick it more than 35 metres or so. Mitchell needs to take a leaf from Kirky's book.

Swans are still one of the top teams and will finish in the top 4. Slightly off day and the dogs punished you with efficiency in front of goal which. The inside 50 and clearance differential in the swans favour would see you beat them 9 out of every 10 times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe but you still need to win enough to make the top 4.

Agreed. You need to win around 17 games to make the top 4, meaning you can lose 5 games at most during the season. It is round 5 and we have already lost 2 games. That means we can only lose another 3 games in the next 17 games.

I just don't know where we are at.

Was expecting a comfortable win today so to lose in that manner was quite a eye opener.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been working all day today, can someone explain?

train-wreck.jpg

Goodes needs
Can't agree with this. Worked his butt off on the bottom of contests and was the only one that seemed to be able handball to a player in space.

Spot on. I have not fell into the hysteria on this Board regarding Mitchells place in this side as I know he has a couple of deficiencies and his time would come. I will say right now after watching him Today with much scrutiny his time is now. He may be an average kick of the football and go at one speed but he puts the ball to advantage of team mates every time and this is not just a hand or foot skill it is a football brain that is not replicated by our other mids who seem to have the will but not the way. He has to play.

Absolute garbage, irrelevant of the margin or the apparent improvement of the dogs, they're still a team of kids ffs.
Same insipid crap that's becoming all too familiar, make no mistake that was as bad a performance as any.

1. Another piss weak first half. (4 goals in a half against the bulldogs is just as bad, if not worse as 1 against the dockers)
2. Pathetic turnovers in the backline to either kill the momentum or to let them into the game in the 1st place.
3. Atrocious delivery going forward and an overreliance on Tippett and Buddy to kick our entire score regardless of the conditions.

The fact we still can't play in the rain is an absolute disgrace, and it always takes us far too long to adjust..you have to ask the question, how dumb are our players?

Our defenders and defensive players were rubbish today. Those short chip kicks straight to bulldogs players were pathetic, you'd think they'd learn their lesson after the 3rd goal conceded that way..nope just give them a 4th and 5th. Also giving away unnecessary frees at the worst possible times. Silly handballs to teammates with no where to run, absolutely no composure or run coming out of our defence unless some of the mids create it. Bird did an extremely poor job watching Murphy. Don't even have any competent defenders to bring in.

Obviously still time to turn it around, we're 4 points ahead of where we were last year after-all. But that terrific Port win in round 2 has glossed over whole a lot of s**t throughout the other 4 games. Difference last year was at least we had some players to come back, and plenty of players who were yet to find any form. The concerning thing imo is: who's missing from the team that got humiliated today? Sam Reid - who's been terribly inconsistent. Maybe McGlynn - who's available just playing poorly. who's out of form? None of our star players are playing too far below their best.

The only hope is we can return to bringing intense pressure for 4 quarters. There's 1 flash in the pan performance, but I haven't seen anything to suggest we're suddenly going to start playing 4 quarters of pressure anytime soon. The fact it comes on and off for a quarter or little patch here and there is usually the first sign of a top team beginning to decline. Not going to completely write us off but the signs are very concerning.

* that was frustrating to watch. So many bad, just bad errors.. Rampe, cost us 3 goals, Shaw 2.. How many goals from turnovers..

And one broken laptop screen. :(

Absolute garbage, irrelevant of the margin or the apparent improvement of the dogs, they're still a team of kids ffs.
Same insipid crap that's becoming all too familiar, make no mistake that was as bad a performance as any.

1. Another piss weak first half. (4 goals in a half against the bulldogs is just as bad, if not worse as 1 against the dockers)
2. Pathetic turnovers in the backline to either kill the momentum or to let them into the game in the 1st place.
3. Atrocious delivery going forward and an overreliance on Tippett and Buddy to kick our entire score regardless of the conditions.

The fact we still can't play in the rain is an absolute disgrace, and it always takes us far too long to adjust..you have to ask the question, how dumb are our players?

Our defenders and defensive players were rubbish today. Those short chip kicks straight to bulldogs players were pathetic, you'd think they'd learn their lesson after the 3rd goal conceded that way..nope just give them a 4th and 5th. Also giving away unnecessary frees at the worst possible times. Silly handballs to teammates with no where to run, absolutely no composure or run coming out of our defence unless some of the mids create it. Bird did an extremely poor job watching Murphy. Don't even have any competent defenders to bring in.

Obviously still time to turn it around, we're 4 points ahead of where we were last year after-all. But that terrific Port win in round 2 has glossed over whole a lot of s**t throughout the other 4 games. Difference last year was at least we had some players to come back, and plenty of players who were yet to find any form. The concerning thing imo is: who's missing from the team that got humiliated today? Sam Reid - who's been terribly inconsistent. Maybe McGlynn - who's available just playing poorly. who's out of form? None of our star players are playing too far below their best.

The only hope is we can return to bringing intense pressure for 4 quarters. There's 1 flash in the pan performance, but I haven't seen anything to suggest we're suddenly going to start playing 4 quarters of pressure anytime soon. The fact it comes on and off for a quarter or little patch here and there is usually the first sign of a top team beginning to decline. Not going to completely write us off but the signs are very concerning.

And that's what makes last year even more depressing it's very hard to be up year after year and our gamestyle is very demanding.

We lost that game with our own skills and decision making.

Does Goodes swallow his pride and wear the sub vest for the rest of the season? He clearly can impact the scoreboard, has a great footy brain and provides plenty of leadership, but may not be up to the rigours of running a full game out without slowing down. Give him a 1-2 quarters to go hell for leather when the game is in the balance (whether its the start or the end)

No disrespect to Doggies, but Swans had numerous options to take the game and didn't. Remember this is the same team that put Port to the sword, came back from 40 down v Bombers. They're no duds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back