Review Round 5: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

shaw said he has embarrassed to play while Goodes was in the ressies. Didn't need that excuse this week. Stew Maxfield didn't look to happy - trademark bloods - Too much talk

Anyway, it was great to see Tom play well. Whatever your feelings on him, he should be given 6 weeks. THEN we can decide whether he is good enough or whether he should be in the side. He was good today.

6 weeks ? Based on what the moonlight

He played well he plays next week, all players should just be picked on form really

I can live with a loss like last week more than this one in some ways

If only because last week was away in Perth

But look we started well then it was like we set out to boost morale in the Dogs camp.

I wish our players could hit team mates with the precision they hit opponents today

Shouldn't the game against Freo last week have done that?
Nah was fully expecting to lose that one in all honesty. This is a game we dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can live with a loss like last week more than this one in some ways

If only because last week was away in Perth

But look we started well then it was like we set out to boost morale in the Dogs camp.

I wish our players could hit team mates with the precision they hit opponents today

It's to early for a definitive answer all depends on how good the Bulldogs really are.

But ask yourself would Freo or Hawthorn have dropped todays game? especially in those conditions we have zero excuses.

Full credit to the dogs tho.

Tend to think giving the way the odds were layed out this was a unexpected loss no one gave the Bulldogs a chance today.

It's to early for a definitive answer all depends on how good the Bulldogs really are.

But ask yourself would Freo or Hawthorn have dropped todays game? especially in those conditions we have zero excuses.

Full credit to the dogs tho.

Hawthorn lost to essendon

Freo Lost to the saints last year

We lost to gws

Teams lose games

I am all for dissecting the side, discussing the weak areas, but we wouldnt all be here talking as much about a few point loss if the side was not good

We are a good side, we played s**t and got a loss we deserved but we are still a good side

We can be an even better side though thats for sure

I am still confident this side can contend

We always joke* about wet weather football but it's abysmal.

*because if we don't laugh we will cry.

I find it Strange that a young team which hasn't played finals showed more composure and more of a will to win than a experienced finals hardened team.

Anyways on to next week.

My thoughts exactly. They didn't want it more than us. They were just more clinical. They didn't panic as much.

How many times did rampe or Grundy just panic? Rampe drops a sitter chest mark and then does the most obvious scoop throw for a behind. Typical of how the day went.

We always joke* about wet weather football but it's abysmal.

*because if we don't laugh we will cry.

Agreed, its a bloody joke

It seems to have been raining non stop in Sydney since 2012

Don't the boys go practice in it

Footy in the wet is bash and crash force it forward , dont kick across the bloody goals and try to pin point a pass between two opposition, keep your feet as much as possible etc

Its like only Tom Mitchell knew what wet weather footy was must rain a lot in the NEAFL

credit to dogs, they showed they are consistantly getting better. A hard loss to swallow, but not because i think we played an abysmal team. Tigers, saints, carlton etc that would rub me raw.

Backline seems to be the major worry, lets hope the goal inaccuracy was an aberration. Mitchell to stay, towers to go (don't see him making it now).

I have a few questions I'm asking myself.

I've been watching the Swans for 20 years and we've always been garbage in the wet? Could we not train for that or get better?

Why are we the only team in the comp that doesn't occasionaly send a 3rd man up in ruck contests? Can't be bothered trying and seeing if it's effective?

How does Dean Towers still get a game?

My thoughts exactly. They didn't want it more than us. They were just more clinical. They didn't panic as much.

How many times did rampe or Grundy just panic? Rampe drops a sitter chest mark and then does the most obvious scoop throw for a behind. Typical of how the day went.

Interesting horse kept changing the spare in defence, rampe, rohan, laidler, mcveigh all seemed to have a crack

People kept letting him down, compared to murphy as a real general or to be american real quarterback down there.

Especially late, composure and time.

Rampe in particular plays like every time he has it someone has told him there is a bomb in the ball and he has 3 seconds before it explodes

credit to dogs, they showed they are consistantly getting better. A hard loss to swallow, but not because i think we played an abysmal team. Tigers, saints, carlton etc that would rub me raw.

Backline seems to be the major worry, lets hope the goal inaccuracy was an aberration. Mitchell to stay, towers to go (don't see him making it now).

If it hits the ground in defence or we cant go go third man up we look awful

Our defence is brave at best

Turnover exposed us today so many times we are running ahead of the play turn it over and just get lost in transition either one out or in a foot race

Yeah we dropped one back and closed it a bit, but then the one back either failed to impact the contest or disposed poorly

Rampe shits himself without pressure. He's been identified, since the GF, as our weakest link

Does Goodes swallow his pride and wear the sub vest for the rest of the season? He clearly can impact the scoreboard, has a great footy brain and provides plenty of leadership, but may not be up to the rigours of running a full game out without slowing down. Give him a 1-2 quarters to go hell for leather when the game is in the balance (whether its the start or the end)
Plenty worse than Goodes. Mitchell getting praised for mostly sliding into contests and punching the ball to no-one in particular. Goodes uses his possessions to advantage. Very clever work, as usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back