Game Day Round 5: Sydney v GWS, Saturday 7:25pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
TEAMS

Sydney

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Zak Jones
HB: Harry Marsh, Lewis Melican, Jake Lloyd
C: Harry Cunningham, Josh P. Kennedy, Callum Mills
HF: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, George Hewett
F: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Tom Papley
FOL: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery
I/C: Jordan Foote, Isaac Heeney, Gary Rohan, Callum Sinclair
EMG: Jeremy Laidler, Nic Newman, Dean Towers

IN: Lewis Melican, Kurt Tippett, Isaac Heeney, Gary Rohan
OUT: Robbie Fox (Knee), Nic Newman (Omitted), Oliver Florent (Omitted), Aliir Aliir (Omitted)

NEW: Lewis Melican

Greater Western Sydney
B: Nathan Wilson, Adam Tomlinson, Aidan Corr
HB: Nick Haynes, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Adam Kennedy, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Devon Smith, Jonathon Patton, Rory Lobb
FOL: Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Jacob Hopper
I/C: Steve Johnson, Sam J. Reid, Matthew Kennedy, Zac Williams
EMG: Dawson Simpson, Harry Perryman, Daniel Lloyd

IN: Steve Johnson
OUT: Tim Taranto (managed)

Ladder Positions
Sydney 16th, 0-4
GWS 4th, 3-1

Last Five Encounters
GWS have won the last two encounters between the two sides convincingly, but Sydney lead 3-2 overall.
2QF, 2016, GWS 12.19 (91) d Sydney Swans 7.13 (55) at ANZ Stadium
R12, 2016, GWS 15.15 (105) d Sydney Swans 9.9 (63) at Spotless Stadium
R3, 2016, Sydney Swans 14.9 (93) d GWS 10.8 (68) at the SCG
R21, 2015, Sydney Swans 20.13 (133) d GWS 6.8 (44) at Spotless Stadium
R3, 2015, Sydney Swans 16.15 (111) d GWS 12.18 (90) at the SCG

Weather
Saturday 22 April
Minimum 16
Maximum 24
Possible rainfall 0-2mm
Chance of any rain 30%
(Source: bom.gov.au)

WHY SYDNEY CAN WIN

1) Isaac Heeney

upload_2017-4-21_15-0-15.png

Isaac Heeney returns from a bout of glandular fever, and while he will no doubt be short of match fitness, he should strengthen the Swans midfield and force GWS to find a match up for him and he can go forward and kick a goal as well.

2) Gary Rohan

upload_2017-4-21_15-2-41.png

Gary Rohan plays his first game for the year after being placed on the long term injury list during the pre-season due to a number of niggling issues, including back soreness. His value to the team has been the subject of some discussion on the board especially in the wake of two poor grand finals for the club, but while he does not get a lot of the ball, if he can match his 2016 average goals per game of 1.4 when he plays forward, he will at the very least provide us with another avenue to goal. If he can make his opponent accountable, it may give more opportunities to Reid and Franklin, providing we can sharpen up our disposal going inside 50.

3) GWS Players Unavailable

GWS Players Unavailable
Matt Buntine, Stephen Coniglio, Brett Deledio, Tom Downie, Ryan Griffen, Harrison Himmelberg, Tendai Mzungu, Will Setterfield, Lachie Whitfield

Sydney Players Unavailable
Alex Johnson, Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Naismith, Dane Rampe, Dan Robinson

Sydney have an edge in this department as we are starting to get players back, with Rampe being arguably the most significant loss as he does a tremendous job holding a small backline together.

WHY GWS CAN WIN

1) Our midfield

Yes, he's a bloody good player, but he hasn't had as much support as he would have liked in the first four rounds, which has contributed to our 0-4 start. As good as he is I don't think he can beat the GWS midfield on his own.

upload_2017-4-21_15-15-14.png

2)

Love him or hate him (and most seem to hate him, though that won't bother him one bit), he has had a great start to 2017 kicking 13 goals in the first four rounds and will provide a stern test for our backline. Traditionally, we have relied on Nick Smith to shut down the opposition's most dangerous small forward but on Smith's recent form he would struggle to contain Greene.

upload_2017-4-21_15-17-3.png

3)

Disclaimer: I am a big Heath Grundy fan and I think he has been a terrific defender for the club.
But with no Rampe, and having to rely on the first-gamer Melican to help out an undersized defence, he could be in for a tough night with Cameron, Patton and Lobb all playing. Much will depend on our midfield's ability to deny GWS the ball.

upload_2017-4-21_15-22-20.png

Prediction:

Staring at the possibility of a 0-5 start, playing at the SCG, coming off a 9-day break, and with a number of GWS midfielders unavailable, this could be our best chance to knock off the Giants in a while. Unfortunately, our own form over the past month means that this is no certainty. So I'm going for the Giants by 18 points, but I won't be surprised if we get up.

I'm tipping us with not much confidence. Emotion based decisions often turn out poorly. I'm worried by 4 changes but then the team aren't exactly gelling anyway. This could be ugly.

If GWS score more than 90 points we are struggling. Our one chance is to do what Collingwood did to us- make it an ugly scrap and hope we keep them to 8-9 goals
Collingwood didn't do anything to us. We did it to ourselves.
The first 1/4 was that diabolical. That inept and lacklustre that the game was played on their terms. Uncontested footy with some traffic cones.
Obviously the next three 1/4's were better.

Read the GWS preview. On their board..
Arrogance ? or dis interest?
If hunger is any indication. Its strong here.

Its the two teams playing

If it were our board best 22 v their board best 22 we would win

Looking at their outs and our inclusions I'm less pessimistic. We have enough senior players in to win it. We just need to shake off this malaise we're in and stick it up them.

GWS have the smallest fan base on BigFooty...

Swans by 16 points!
93 to 77!
Kieren Jack to get reported for sling tackle.
Buddy 3 goals.
Reid 3 goals.
Tippett 2 goals.

Total tackles 95!
If we can pressure their mids/small forwards from kicking goals from outside 50. (which they do a bit). I think we are in with a chance.
Patton and Cameron will always kick a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans by 16 points!
93 to 77!
Kieren Jack to get reported for sling tackle.
Buddy 3 goals.
Reid 3 goals.
Tippett 2 goals.

Total tackles 95!

If we are to win this is the sort of scoreline I'd expect

If GWS score more than 90 points we are struggling. Our one chance is to do what Collingwood did to us- make it an ugly scrap and hope we keep them to 8-9 goals
Collingwood made it an ugly scrap after the first qtr,remember when we were witches hats,and they kept pinpointing passes in the 1st quarter,and scoring with ease. Our first quarter has to be brutally competitive, hunt the f------ down!!

For some reason I keep thinking of the 2014 game against Freo in Round 5 when we beat them after starting 1-3 and kickstarted our season.

This could be the game that kick starts our whole season. It could be the game that all but guarantees our season is over before it really started. Sadly I have to go with the latter - GWS by plenty :disappointed:

If our midfield can dictate the play we can win this. Our forward line is in a great spot and a strong midfield will assist the defence.

I wouldn't mind us flooding the midfield with our forwards and keeping 2-3 players down there (Reid or Franklin and 2 smalls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back