Hawthorn v Sydney Swans at Aurora Stadium, 1.10pm

LATE CHANGES
Hawthorn: Grant Birchall replaced in selected side by Broc McCauley

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Hawthorn: Matthew Suckling, Shane Savage, Luke Breust
Substitute: Paul Puopolo

Sydney Swans: Daniel Hannebery, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Luke Parker
Substitute: Nick Smith

Huge game for us and while I'm not confident, it would be a huge win for the club if the boys get over the line. Birchall is a big out, as he is their best line breaker imo.

Smith makes no sense for me as a sub.

If he's underdone play him in the ressies.
He's essentially a run with player so when he comes on he either has to play a different role to normal or we have to change match ups to accommodate him... match ups that could be working fine up to that point.

The only way it makes any sense to me is if we expected one of their underdone players (Hodge or Pup) to be sub and Smith will be activated when they are. But once again means finding another role for the guy playing on the Hawk subbed out.

Smith as the sub nulls the point of playing him. He's not an impact player, he's a tagger, so that means Shaw has to take Rioli and leave someone else free. Sure, Smith can come on in the last and just completely snuff out the influence of someone like Rioli, but if Rioli is already being well held... well then, what, are we planning on chucking Smith forward?

Mind you, Birchall out is good for us, unhappy that Hodge is still playing though.

He's essentially a run with player so when he comes on he either has to play a different role to normal or we have to change match ups to accommodate him... match ups that could be working fine up to that point.

The only way it makes any sense to me is if we expected one of their underdone players (Hodge or Pup) to be sub and Smith will be activated when they are. But once again means finding another role for the guy playing on the Hawk subbed out.

Haha love that we posted the exact same thought at the exact same time.

I couldn't actually think of anyone worse to have as the sub, what were they thinking? It should've been Bird, Bolton, O'Keefe or Adrejs.

Interestingly the late change for Hawthorn completely changes their structure.

Obviously deliberately as they had the opportunity to bring another travelling sub in Bruce into their line up.

Gives them the opportunity to play tall in the fwd line when McCauley is on ball with Franklin, Hale & Roughead.

I know unlikely to happen, but I'd like Mattner to go to Franklin.
It leaves Richards & Grundy to take their genuine tall forwards.
Frankiln IMO doesn't play as a true tall and Mattner is more suited at ground level against Buddy.

LRT possibly be moving back now because of the extra height? I really hope we persist with Adrejs up forward. Not a fan of him down back.

looks like they have learnt from starting underdone players... that might explain smith as the sub...

hanners and o'keefe didnt return as subs and both had terrible games...

birchall out is a huge bonus for us :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looks like they have learnt from starting underdone players... that might explain smith as the sub...

hanners and o'keefe didnt return as subs and both had terrible games...

birchall out is a huge bonus for us :)

If he's underdone give him a run in the Ressies....

Must say I am more confident than others on the boards. I was with Noth last week as well where I thought the Swans were good things.

Swans by 2-3 goals. Our midfield is in top form. Defence is solid and we score points somehow. That will do for a win in my books.

*edit - Also the Swans are paying $3.70 as I write this on Sportstab. That is an insanely good price, truly nuts.

Smith as sub wtf game over.

Must say I am more confident than others on the boards. I was with Noth last week as well where I thought the Swans were good things.

Swans by 2-3 goals. Our midfield is in top form. Defence is solid and we score points somehow. That will do for a win in my books.

*edit - Also the Swans are paying $3.70 as I write this on Sportstab. That is an insanely good price, truly nuts.

I was extremely confident last week, knew we'd smash norf as they were incredibly over-rated.

This week however I think we are deservedly outsiders, Hawthorn had a much tougher draw sofar and will be more accustomed to higher level pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back