Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite judges are the ones that vote on The Suns Board Medal and he got a total of Zero Votes yesterday.
That’s right a big fat Duck Egg from our most passionate and invested fans.
I guess im one of the few that like the way weller goes about it. Give him time to settle to a position and he'll be serviceable.

that's just special
That's the Stewy Dew effect.
My favourite judges are the ones that vote on The Suns Board Medal and he got a total of Zero Votes yesterday.
Well in that case, I eagerly await your voting debut this week Bods.

Also incorrect but details, Am i right?

Sorry Bodsy, but let's face it,The majority of this board is upset that we gave up Pick 2, and forever and a day, unless he wins a Brownlow, he'll always be castigated. So the majority of this board votes accordingly.
He didn't have the best of games, but there were quite a few other who fall into that category.
I haven't voted in that thread, and won't, cause I don't think I'm close enough to the action, like a lot of you blokes are.
If you're going to vote, then you need to take off your blinkers, and vote on the performance on the day, NOT the fact that he cost us Pick 2, and should have performed better, to justify us giving up Pick 2.

From what I saw on the Fox Footy stream, I wouldn't have given him a vote either but I'm still glad he's on our list....just play him on a wing, Stewie or a HF Flank.

Last edited:
You beat me to it. Having gone through all I’ve gone through as a GC Sports Fan in everything I can never ever have any pity on Brisbane fans.
When Brisbane teams beat us they rub it in our noses and then always try and have our club not exist the moment there is some pressure.

Bugger them. They’ve had a great time. They have great memories. I have NONE!!!!
No memories? Surely you remember QClash1 :) I saw it live and still chuckle when I think of the stunned looks on the Brizzo supporters’ faces at the end there. Classic :D

I reckon I'd back any of the regular posters here over the observations(and votes) of Michael Whiting.
Because that's who's giving them on afl.com

Sorry Sandy, normally I'd agree with you but from where I sit, and right now I'm sipping a nice little Tullamore "DEW" on ice, but I believe some of the regular voters on this board take the fact he cost us Pick 2 into the equation and vote accordingly. Because he cost us Pick 2, he must score 5 votes every time, and if he doesn't then he's a bust.
I also wouldn't take Whiting's view on anything... remember, believe nothing you read or hear, and only half what you see.

Last edited:
No idea how it wasn't a free or a week off. His arm did slip up on the ball, but so what? Glad he wasn't reported because it might have got to him.
Should have been a high tackle free, but was never going the get looked at by the MRP. Had he elected to bump, and got him high, he'd be gone. But as it was a tackle that went high, that's all it is. Wasn't a sling tackle, so not deemed dangerous.

Sorry Sandy, normally I'd agree with you but from where I sit, and right now I'm sipping a nice little Tullamore "DEW" on ice, but I believe some of the regular voters on this board take the fact he cost us Pick 2 into the equation and vote accordingly. Because he cost us Pick 2, he must score 5 votes every time, and if he doesn't then he's a bust.
I also wouldn't take Whiting's view on anything... remember, believe nothing you read or hear, and only half what you see.
5 votes everytime? Thats a bit of a stretch. LDU, DOW, BRAYSHAW are barely getting double figures possessions.
Treloar who collingwood paid 2 top 10 picks for doesn't even finish best every week.
Boyd traded for a top 5 pick and paid 1 mill a year isnt even in best 22 atm.
Petracca and brayshaw selected picks 2 and 3 in same draft as weller are both barely in the clubs best each week aswell. In fact very few players from that draft taken before lachie has risen to the level weller has.
The criticism against him for his fumbles and blunders are fair but as far as value its about right.

5 votes everytime? Thats a bit of a stretch. LDU, DOW, BRAYSHAW are barely getting double figures possessions.
Treloar who collingwood paid 2 top 10 picks for doesn't even finish best every week.
Boyd traded for a top 5 pick and paid 1 mill a year isnt even in best 22 atm.
Petracca and brayshaw selected picks 2 and 3 in same draft as weller are both barely in the clubs best each week aswell. In fact very few players from that draft taken before lachie has risen to the level weller has.
The criticism against him for his fumbles and blunders are fair but as far as value its about right.
Petracca is a special player.. I’d give pick 2 for him every time

Petracca is a special player.. I’d give pick 2 for him every time
Yeah sure. IF he wanted to come to the gold coast. Petracca is good player but isnt setting games on fire. Is doing the same job as weller but with a little more skill and class. Weller is easily in the top 5 mids from 2014 draft and he wanted to come to gold coast. Will be here for the next decade and has plenty of improvement.

We overvalue draft picks these days. Just look at our top 10 draft pick recruiting since we came into the comp.
2010 - swallow, bennell, day, caddy, prestia 1/5 (none have set the world on fire)
2011- omeara
2012- martin (best pickup to date)
2013- kolodjashnij
2014- wright
2015- ah chee
2016- ainsworth, scrimshaw, brodie, bowes

Too early to tell but our 2016 crop all look like stars
2015 ah chee is ok but body is questionable
2014 wright is looking great
2013 kk is looking to be a fail unfortunately concussion is a huge issue for him
2012 martin =success
2011 omeara = flog
2010 swallow (hard as nails) bennell = idiot, Day = inconsistent but serviceable,
Caddy = cry baby, prestia = mommas boy.
If i was to rate weller between all of those players at this stage he is 5/15
Swallow, martin, wright, bowes all better.
Pretty good use of pick 2 when you think about it that way.

Last edited:
That's the Stewy Dew effect.
Well in that case, I eagerly await your voting debut this week Bods.

Also incorrect but details, Am i right?

I don’t vote because I don’t feel I’m knowledgeable enough actually. I feel I don’t spend enough time on the nuances.
I see that since I pointed out that he got no votes two people including yourself overnight gave him points.
Lachie should thank me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t vote because I don’t feel I’m knowledgeable enough actually. I feel I don’t spend enough time on the nuances.
I see that since I pointed out that he got no votes two people including yourself overnight gave him points.
Lachie should thank me.
We don’t always know what specific roles the coach gives to players behind closed doors.

See what I mean? You give Weller an honest appraisal and get burnt, so nobody bothers. As I said, he made some clangers among his 20 odd touches and I wasn't big on his overall performance, but he doesn't deserve this excessive scrutiny. The best on ground was from Michael Whiting, who covers the Suns more than anybody. No need for ageism on Fagan either - the guy is fresh from steering the Hawks around for their best period since the 80s and is one of the sharper minds in the game.
It’s a bit rich for you to constantly point the finger at others for having a different opinion to yours. Do you realise that you are doing exactly what you find so abhorrent in others?

Yeah sure. IF he wanted to come to the gold coast. Petracca is good player but isnt setting games on fire. Is doing the same job as weller but with a little more skill and class. Weller is easily in the top 5 mids from 2014 draft and he wanted to come to gold coast. Will be here for the next decade and has plenty of improvement.

We overvalue draft picks these days. Just look at our top 10 draft pick recruiting since we came into the comp.
2010 - swallow, bennell, day, caddy, prestia 1/5 (none have set the world on fire)
2011- omeara
2013- kolodjashnij
2014- wright
2015- ah chee

2013 kk is looking to be a fail unfortunately concussion is a huge issue for him
2012 martin =success
2011 omeara = flog
2010 swallow (hard as nails) bennell = idiot, Day = inconsistent but serviceable,
Well written and thought out mate. I think you’re correct.

I like many are disappointed with the club as we rightly or wrongly think we could of had Weller AND pick 2. It is in my opinion the club that has put Weller under enormous pressure with their mismanagement of the situation.

Last edited:
It’s a bit rich for you to constantly point the finger at others for having a different opinion to yours. Do you realise that you are doing exactly what you find so abhorrent in others?
It was a discussion with Mr Bods. I made a statement, he replied, then this was my reply to him. As part of a larger conversation over which he and I agreed about several other things. So no, I don't think these things are the same. Life would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything all the time. Perhaps you should reread my statement in context and imagine we are having a beer at the pub. My Bods says something, I call bullshit, he says get stuffed, I say get stuffed and everybody has a laugh about it.
You might note also that since myself and a couple of others have made statements in Weller's favour, there is has been a much more robust conversation about him than the pile of crap dumped on him the night our club made a glorious statement win.

It was a discussion with Mr Bods. I made a statement, he replied, then this was my reply to him. As part of a larger conversation over which he and I agreed about several other things. So no, I don't think these things are the same. Life would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything all the time. Perhaps you should reread my statement in context and imagine we are having a beer at the pub. My Bods says something, I call bullshit, he says get stuffed, I say get stuffed and everybody has a laugh about it.
You might note also that since myself and a couple of others have made statements in Weller's favour, there is has been a much more robust conversation about him than the pile of crap dumped on him the night our club made a glorious statement win.

Weller definitely has his admirers. I didn’t know who he was as I don’t follow other teams closely, I had no idea what to expect. I did think I’d be a bit more impressed than what I’ve seen so far. He’s solid but no star.

2011- omeara
2013- kolodjashnij
2014- wright
2015- ah chee

2012 martin =success
2011 omeara = flog
It needs to be said that Scott Clayton reinvested a lot of Draft capital back into the Draft when he negotiated player trades for picks. It has been a rough way to conduct list management with all those guys wanting/needing to be traded, but the reality is that it has enabled the club to draft high picks for the future while also recruiting players for now - Lyons, Witts, Hanley, Barlow, Holman, Young - who can keep the side competitive until the 18 to 23 year olds become the 23 to 28 year olds and the premiership window is wide open.
It is also important to look at how well we've managed to recruit local players. Sporadic but the hits have been big ones. The Talent Academy is bringing in some terrific talent that, apart from Bowes, isn't greatly impacting on our Draft picks. I, for one, don't blame the club for paying overs to get the big fish that got away.

Weller definitely has his admirers. I didn’t know who he was as I don’t follow other teams closely, I had no idea what to expect. I did think I’d be a bit more impressed than what I’ve seen so far. He’s solid but no star.
The one thing I think everybody agrees on is that he needs to be shifted up the ground. He played wing on Sunday, but was continually bringing the ball out of half-back. We have loads of half-backs already and are always playing with different wing options.
I also didn't know much about Weller's time at Freo, but I did know about his Suns' Academy stint and him coming back fits in with what I believe to be the club's future, and as a result, success.

The one thing I think everybody agrees on is that he needs to be shifted up the ground. He played wing on Sunday, but was continually bringing the ball out of half-back. We have loads of half-backs already and are always playing with different wing options.
I also didn't know much about Weller's time at Freo, but I did know about his Suns' Academy stint and him coming back fits in with what I believe to be the club's future, and as a result, success.
100% agree , if GC going to play this type of hack kick football you need the right personnal and position .
A forward line of Lynch , Day , Weller and Sexton /ainsworth create speed and Balance . Young and holman just don't had the speed or agility to lock it down like Richmond small . Hopefully 2Mp and ah chee can solve these problem when they are back .

Last edited:
100% agree , if GC going to play this type of hack kick football you need the right personnal and position .
A forward line of Lynch , Day , Weller and Sexton /ainsworth create speed and Balance . Young and holman just don't had the speed or agility to lock it down like Richmond small . Hopefully 2Mp and ah chee can solve these problem when they are back .

How much has Sexton improved this year.....I was becoming very unsure of Big Al but this year he is delivering and stepping it up.

A forward line of Lynch , Day , Weller and Sexton /ainsworth create speed and Balance . Young and holman just don't had the speed or agility to lock it down like Richmond small .

GC got the potential to be a better side when Ah chee and 2MP are back , 2MP in release sam day/Ballard to be the target on wing. The midfield currently lack a big body there (Barlow) and Endurance winger who create space .
I am of the (unpopular) belief that Dew needs to create a horses for courses group of players that can be used for multiple game plans and opponents. Injuries and form will force this, but I think a rotation is necessary in order to exploit the best combinations. Hall is a good example - when we play the Hawthorn slugs, he will tear them apart, but he needs a week off if we face the Dockers. Weller could become a moving piece, like Sexton and Martin are used rotating through midfield and the forward line. And, of course, Barlow is wasted through 5 games and will be invaluable through the middle of the season, but who do you drop? Miller? No way, but people were calling for it last week. Rischa? Sure, but Dew doesn't think it merits action. Fiorini? Again, some have called for it, but he is vital to the group. Lonergan? He just got back into 1st grade and went alright. I think the answer is all of them - choose the best combo for the best outcomes against each weekly opponent.

2011- omeara
2013- kolodjashnij
2014- wright
2015- ah chee

2012 martin =success
2011 omeara = flog
Good read.
Ah Chee just needs to get his body right. You see snippets of something special.
Bowes this year has made me think he'll be top shelf. Reads the ball in the air really well and it also appears that he has more time than others when he's got it.
I'm not sure about Brodie. His disposal isn't great and he doesn't have real leg speed. He knows how to win a hot ball but so did Hallahan.
Ainsworth in 2017 showed he'll be a jet. 2nd year blues.
Wright was a steal considering Pickett, Brayshaw, Ahern, Marchbank, McCartin were picked ahead of him.
Scrimshaw the jury is well and truly still out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back