Review Round 5 vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish, was disgraceful. They mentioned how it was nice for Roberts to show up (was fantastic). Paying out Tom Boyd. How quickly they forget the GF. Even gave s**t about the bont how his too slow and the media got to his head. Was pretty embarrassing tbh. I don't mind the "wtf were you thinking" or "X is having a bad game" but to bag out the players is not on IMO
I've been unfortunate enough to encounter a few of these 'fans' so far and I tell you what, if I make it through the season without getting punched in the face it'll be a certifiable miracle.

So Adams, Cordy and Roberts all played well? They will have an interesting time next Friday night.

Who was on Hipwood in the first half?

Those over the top goals were a product of how we set up. We push hard up the ground, and if we don't capitalise, then we are exposed to the counter attack. It is overly simplistic to blame one individual for this.

It is a bit weird to say but I think our key defenders of Roberts, Adams and Cordy played well, but we didn't defend well as a team at times.

Last edited:
I have to say, I just watched the game again and Brisbane NEVER had the better of us. In the 2nd quarter when they dominated the scoreboard so much, they weren't doing anything on the field except taking the very very few chances we gave them.

They scored their first 10 goals from FOURTEEN inside 50s!!! Meanwhile, late in the 3rd quarter we had 18 behinds and EIGHT 'missing everything' shots! We had nearly TWICE AS MANY BURNT OPPORTUNITIES AS THEY HAD INSIDE 50S! And that was when we were still well behind on the scoreboard.

Now I'm not saying that is great news for our defence, to allow such efficiency to the opposition. But we were basically dominating that match in terms of ground play from beginning to end. So we probably shouldn't get too down on it. And PLEASE let's do some more goal kicking practice!

I have to say, I just watched the game again and Brisbane NEVER had the better of us. In the 2nd quarter when they dominated the scoreboard so much, they weren't doing anything on the field except taking the very very few chances we gave them.

They scored their first 10 goals from FOURTEEN inside 50s!!! Meanwhile, late in the 3rd quarter we had 18 behinds and EIGHT 'missing everything' shots! We had nearly TWICE AS MANY BURNT OPPORTUNITIES AS THEY HAD INSIDE 50S! And that was when we were still well behind on the scoreboard.

Now I'm not saying that is great news for our defence, to allow such efficiency to the opposition. But we were basically dominating that match in terms of ground play from beginning to end. So we probably shouldn't get too down on it. And PLEASE let's do some more goal kicking practice!
I agree
For everyone saying the first half was terrible, no doubt that 10 minute patch was bad but had we had kicked straight it would have been another story

Haven't seen a lot of love for Stringer. Thought he was very good. Ideally when we get our forwards back I'd like him back in the midfield. He can do things others simply can't with breaking the lines.

Stringer was very good. He just needs to fix those set shots. He could easily have another 5-8 goals for the year. It is a confidence thing - he will bounce back!

haven't been as avid a reader of autopsy threads since we reached the footy zenith but appalled at the negativity of the first 3 pages of this thread

we came back from 40 points down to kick the crap out of a side that played an honest game against us.

Agree with all of that, and a win is a win is a win, and it's comforting to know that the boys do know how to win even if their backs are against the wall, but....

Of our 20 behinds, I'd reckon at least 12 should have been goals. This should have been a 100-point thrashing with the result never in doubt. Inaccuracy in front of the sticks seems to continue to be one of our big mental blocks. The other is the slow start come-from-behind that seems to be our modus operandi this year. Makes for exciting footy I suppose but I just wish our boys could belt the crap out of another team from first quarter onwards like a few other contenders do (Adelaide, GWS, etc). Might mean SFA come finals but it serves as a good reminder to us supporters and the opposition that we are still a genuine contender ourselves.

Mind you, I'll happily eat my own critical words if we do go back to back or if we belt a team nobody expects to be belted...like GWS and Adelaide. Oh, that would be glorious...

Haven't seen a lot of love for Stringer. Thought he was very good. Ideally when we get our forwards back I'd like him back in the midfield. He can do things others simply can't with breaking the lines.
My missus and I were at the club on Friday morning and saw a light training session. Another family were there with their 4-year-old girl and had come over from Tassie to see the Dogs play the next day. The little girl (imagine bright red hair and pigtails) waved at Jake and he took a few moments to wave back at her from time to time. He's a ripper bloke IMO.

Mind you, my wife asked the little girl if Stringer is her favourite player (he's my wife's current favourite since Gia retired), and she said no--she loves the Bont. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those over the top goals were a product of how we set up. We push hard up the ground, and if we don't capitalise, then we are exposed to the counter attack. It is overly simplistic to blame one individual for this.

It is a bit weird to say but I think out key defenders of Roberts, Adams and Cordy played well, but we didn't defend well as a team at times.
Yep. Turnovers up the field cost us. Unexpected turnovers particularly. Skill errors a plenty!

I've been unfortunate enough to encounter a few of these 'fans' so far and I tell you what, if I make it through the season without getting punched in the face it'll be a certifiable miracle.
I hear you mate. I got some of those around me too. The one that really fires me up though is the umpire-bashing over every decision or non-decision. I can get getting pissed at an absolute howler, but 50/50 calls are exactly that--you win some, you lose some. In the entire game, there was only one time I found myself honestly pissed at the umpire...and the funny thing is that while at the time I was pissed, now I can only remember the emotion, not the actual event--that's how little the umpiring impacts my enjoyment of the game.

Actually, now that I think of it...it was something that resulted in a Brisbane shot on goal...dammit, I have memory like a sieve. I'm gonna have to watch the replay again, lol. :p

he still has that weird but strangely effective kicking action.
Agree. It seems like a very deliberate bent knee stab but seems to work and what's more he's quite competent off either foot. It makes such a difference in buying that small amount of time of even opening up more options so you can't be corralled. Like Bob's left foot chip to Dunkley compared with Clay trying to a left foot checkside from in front when with a decent right foot he probably puts it through.

No s**t, I was just making a post asking this exact question. Taylor was doing it all the time. What happened to the 10m rule? Here is my artists rendition.

7yne5px.png

Is the rule this...
6L21luv.png

Or is it this? Because I thought it was 10m in every direction. And the umpires weren't doing anything about it.
0FE8SNe.png

Thanks for reminding me - I must book my tickets for the Van Gogh exhibition.

Auto correct. My phone doesn't like clanger. The point stands though, it's not a great stat.
The term "Auto correct" does suggest a degree of correctness
which i find odd. The point i was trying to make was players
like Johannisen can do amazing things that leave you not
capable of speech and people tend to only remember the good
stuff or maybe the good stuff tends to mask the bad stuff.
I love the clanger, the more ball you get the greater the chance
of the clanger.

Getting back to the game even if Brisbane had kicked 20 goals
straight they would have been two points short, but that does
not mask how long it took the coaches to put a spare man
back and force them to shorten their entries it makes you as
an observer question the blind faith we have in our system.

The term "Auto correct" does suggest a degree of correctness
which i find odd. The point i was trying to make was players
like Johannisen can do amazing things that leave you not
capable of speech and people tend to only remember the good
stuff or maybe the good stuff tends to mask the bad stuff.
I love the clanger, the more ball you get the greater the chance
of the clanger.

Getting back to the game even if Brisbane had kicked 20 goals
straight they would have been two points short, but that does
not mask how long it took the coaches to put a spare man
back and force them to shorten their entries it makes you as
an observer question the blind faith we have in our system.
The problem with the stat is you can have good clangers and bad things that don't register as clangers so it's a bit misleading.

We played the same defensive system for most of the game though. With the exception of about 5 minutes in the second.

I thought Zaine Cordy was great yesterday. Held his marks and had a very steadying influence in a few tense moments

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have seats in aisle 30 so I was right next to it. I love the atmosphere the large drum creates. He has been doing that since last year, so I’m not sure why the issue was only brought to his attention today?
Can't even hear the drum so what's the problem? I stand behind the players race so not too far away.
Used to work for one of these venues and unfortunately the security people get instructed that rules are rules otherwise they'll have to let everyone in with a drum......hey, wait a minute - I might have a great idea there! We can all bring one in to support the drum guy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The problem with the stat is you can have good clangers and bad things that don't register as clangers so it's a bit misleading.

We played the same defensive system for most of the game though. With the exception of about 5 minutes in the second.
Agree, i watched the Freo game and Shane Kersten tried to kick the
ball on his left he barely made contact with his foot and it skewed
side wards in to the hands of a teammate thus no "Clanger" when
clearly it was pure arse.

They played Easton Wood as the seventh defender or plus one in
the second half as well as moving Adams back, we learnt that
there are certain players who don't belong on the last line of
defence not that it's a Biggs deal so to speak. Lachie Hunter's
role change is also interesting to me at the moment, but
winners are grinners even if the opposition has a large number
of first year players.

haven't been as avid a reader of autopsy threads since we reached the footy zenith but appalled at the negativity of the first 3 pages of this thread

we came back from 40 points down to kick the crap out of a side that played an honest game against us.

Bob was great.

Zaine was awesome.

Clearances in the second half worked better than they have all year, particularly the last stanza of the game.

Macrae and Dahl rock.

So does Toby Mclean.

Dunks has fit back in seamlessly.

Are there flaws? yeh sure, Biggs a bit off, Clay and Jong not doing stuff well that they're not particularly good at. The effort and contest was there for longer today, and we simplified things and looked good.

we need to improve, but i'm proud that they've gotten us four wins considering we've not been fantastic to start the year.

It's a great time to be a dogs fan
You're right it's a great time to be a 'Dogs fan, but go easy on us. Old habits die hard for a 52 year old who's been there done that as far as my beloved club is concerned. It's probably a form of PTDD - Post Traumatic 'Dogs Disorder

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Agree, i watched the Freo game and Shane Kersten tried to kick the
ball on his left he barely made contact with his foot and it skewed
side wards in to the hands of a teammate thus no "Clanger" when
clearly it was pure arse.

They played Easton Wood as the seventh defender or plus one in
the second half as well as moving Adams back, we learnt that
there are certain players who don't belong on the last line of
defence not that it's a Biggs deal so to speak. Lachie Hunter's
role change is also interesting to me at the moment, but
winners are grinners even if the opposition has a large number
of first year players.
Yeah, also things like Biggs' dropped sitter that cost us a goal, wasn't a disposal or a free against so I don't think it goes down as a clanger. JJs deliberate out of bounds wasn't bad play, but it goes down as a clanger.

Change in personnel is a little different to structure, but Wood did change a bit. We also had Stringer as a spare for a few minutes before half time. Didn't get that one! Of all players, Stringer is instinctive so it's a risky spare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back