Autopsy Round 5 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year we smashed Brisbane at home then fell short against Carlton away the week after.

This year that order of the games has been reversed. We just smashed Carlton at home, so now if we can't beat Brisbane at the GABBA next week then at least we'll know that we're still the same team from 2015-16.

I must be confused. It looked as though Aaron Young had to pop his own shoulder back last night it was giving him grief but nothing was mentioned (I must have imagined it). However I feel like I could now do a dissertation on dislocated thumbs and the struggle endured by the thumb owner such was the constant mentioning of how underdone poor Gibbs was. That was when they weren't mentioning how many teenagers were playing in the Carlton team and gee I thought we have been playing a fairly young and experienced squad too. In case anyone missed it: Did you know that Carlton had 7 yes that's seven, teenagers playing for them last night. Wow imagine playing youngsters.

I must be confused. It looked as though Aaron Young had to pop his own shoulder back last night it was giving him grief but nothing was mentioned (I must have imagined it). However I feel like I could now do a dissertation on dislocated thumbs and the struggle endured by the thumb owner such was the constant mentioning of how underdone poor Gibbs was. That was when they weren't mentioning how many teenagers were playing in the Carlton team and gee I thought we have been playing a fairly young and experienced squad too. In case anyone missed it: Did you know that Carlton had 7 yes that's seven, teenagers playing for them last night. Wow imagine playing youngsters.
I'm pretty sure Crows were more experienced and older than GCS too. Not sure if that got mentioned ad infinitum.

The Hoff almost kicked a freaky goal in the 1st quarter and I thought if he done that he's on and would have a big one. he waited until the start of the 2nd to do his freaky bit of play.

The Hoff almost kicked a freaky goal in the 1st quarter and I thought if he done that he's on and would have a big one. he waited until the start of the 2nd to do his freaky bit of play.

back in adelaide in the beginning of june. go to the footy?

......With an eye to September, we just dont have enough killers in the team who will be ruthless when they get their chances. We have too many Harlem Globetrotters showman types.......20 goals 17 behinds is a poor return for 71 inside 50's because we just bombed the ball inside 50 ....... Charlie Dixon gets so much rubbish delivery that doesn't even give him a 50/50 chance. Its why we are 12th for efficiency inside 50. If we cant deliver the ball inside 50 better and end up top 6 for efficiency inside 50, then we wont go deep into September........
Our short backline was exposed a little again last night....We need Hombsch and Austin fully fit and firing in September when we play the sides with the better and bigger forward lines because there are plenty of one on one moments in a game when 3rd man up wont make it to the contest...

We have improved, but the forward entries are a worry - a direct result of our structure. Eddy wasn't great, but he took a tall defender, stopped Dixon getting double teamed, and with his movement & leading patterns opened our forward line up so we could lead into space. I think we need to persist with him until Howard is ready, hopefully in a few weeks.

Agree 100% that we need more height in the back-line; Finals footy does have a lot more one-on-one contests as you say.

I really liked the periods where westhoff was playing the cornes role at CHB perhaps its time to give him a set position on the park
I'm not sure he's capable of a set position - prefers to avoid responsibility by playing loose with no direct opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sellers Maclure saying Carlton should've worn their navy blue tonight because they've got '150 years of seniority', backed up by Ed.

Well, listen up foreskin fetta and hark like you've never harked before.

Carlton has been a loose bowel movement for the past 20 years. Absolute refuse. Amateur hour writ large.

On the odd occasion when you're actually scheduled to play at our home ground and don't have that anthropological potato Jordan Bannister noshing his ex-teammates off, you will come here and be absolutely destroyed as you so richly deserve.

See, this isn't the provincial VFL where you can recruit with abandon using brown paper bags packed by a relic like Jack Elliott, this is a billion-dollar industry you've proven to be laughably out of place in for the better part of two decades.

Comprehensively smashed and back to Lygon Street with your Alphonse Gangitanos and David Kernahans and Laurence Angwins, you diseased parody of an organisation.
Brilliant. Next time though tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4027A using Tapatalk

Lol. Just after Robbie Gray takes the mark before kicking his fifth.

Dixon and I thought Weitering, but maybe it was Marchbank or some other rand, having a bit of push and shove. Umpire mic clearly picks up Dixon saying, "he's been ****en throwing punches all night!"
Weitering. Happened right in front of me down the southern end. Very aggro having been scragged out of the contest for the sixty umpteenth time.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4027A using Tapatalk

I had a good look at him last night. Wants to hospital handball soon as he gets it. Fumbles a lot and cant kick over a jam tin. Trys so hard and you can see hes heart is full on for the club. Its a hard call with Boak,he gives his all but his decision making and skill level is shocking. He make a great PR man for the club.
I think he needs to focus his game maybe as a defensive forward. Monfries like. Has good goal sense and generally good in front of goals. His physical work is good and has engine. But watching replay after being at game he fumbles and turns the ball over way too much in the middle it will hurt us in big games. I hope we don't just put our head in sand. Play him where his strengths shine.

impey could be a top 10 AFL player with his unique ability of having speed and also hitting the contests hard, the only problem is he constantly butchers the ball, he should have set up 5 or 6 goals against carlton but it was really only 1 goals he created with a deep kick to the forward pocket. If he doesnt improve it will cost us games because against the good teams you might only get 3 or 4 genuine chances to do that.

impey could be a top 10 AFL player with his unique ability of having speed and also hitting the contests hard, the only problem is he constantly butchers the ball, he should have set up 5 or 6 goals against carlton but it was really only 1 goals he created with a deep kick to the forward pocket. If he doesnt improve it will cost us games because against the good teams you might only get 3 or 4 genuine chances to do that.
I've been critical of Impey in the past for his disposal, definitely improving every game he plays. Definitely adds something to the 22

Looking forward to seeing how Trengove plays forward and Wingard midfield, for a sustained period.

I like what both brought to their new roles, albeit against a weak opponent in Carlton.
I think we need Wingard in the guts if we are going to improve going forward. Ollie, Boak & SPP all have a habit of burning the ball. Completely agree that we also need to play another permanent tall up forward. The only issue I see with Trengrove is his need to plug holes in our defence due to our lack of KPD options. Would love to see either Dougie or Frampton be given a chance in the next month or so to fill that fwd role.

Last edited:
I think the debuting of Johnson is a pointer towards the club wanting to play Wingard more in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back