Autopsy Round 5 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fans slam AFL’s decision to fixture Carlton on Friday night after blowout against Port Adelaide
THE AFL’s fixturing for Friday night matches has been slammed by fans after a blowout at Adelaide Oval that saw Port Adelaide thump Carlton.
The Blues were a major disappointment as they fielded a young team that was no match for the Power, with the game effectively over five minutes into the third term.
More..
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...e/news-story/6a5a4259d8a390a26cd95228185cf57c

Cant please them all :D
We got the 4 points

Silly article. It was one game.

Perhaps the media had a cry that the KKK werent standing under the scoreboard in teal robes or that Hitler's ghost didn't play the Last Post bugle.

Lots of varying opinion on the skipper, but when he gets the ball I get nervous, more often than not he will fumble, fall over or turn it over - he owes Clurey a beer for setting him up also. A player with his experience should be better, think he deserves a share of the criticism heaped upon Hartlett - both under achievers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

loved Sammy grays game last night. his physicality was great. couple times the smallest guy on the field put guys bigger than him on there arse.

his kicking was much better too.

loved the awareness to hand pass while still on the ground to TJ in the 3rd that end in a quick entry into fwd 50 and a goal.

just needs to work on making this happen weekly not monthly

The thing I think Hinkley likes about Sam Gray is his work rate and presenting himself.
Hence why sometimes we find him in isolation in the forward line contesting against bigger defenders because no one else has made the effort to get there.
But unfortunately his skill level kills off his work rate as he so often undoes his good work by turning the ball over in critical areas which cost us goals.

Fans slam AFL’s decision to fixture Carlton on Friday night after blowout against Port Adelaide
THE AFL’s fixturing for Friday night matches has been slammed by fans after a blowout at Adelaide Oval that saw Port Adelaide thump Carlton.
The Blues were a major disappointment as they fielded a young team that was no match for the Power, with the game effectively over five minutes into the third term.
More..
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...e/news-story/6a5a4259d8a390a26cd95228185cf57c

We got the 4 points

Port's fault for being too good. Next time schedule Carlton v Collingwood.

Replay on. Didnt matter obviously but these umpires are woeful. Some baffling stuff and it is not even the last qtr robbie gray no free/mark show yet
Only paid 23 in total last night but there were at least 10 more than should have been paid. I also noticed one where a mark went to ground and the Port player picked it up and sped off for goal only for the boundary umpire to call it back when it was a good balls' width inside the boundary line.

my highlight was the SPP shepherd. that should be played and replayed over and over in the club rooms.
few more guys playing like that with a team first, doesnt matter if i get a stat mentality and we will be right on the up
I don't think Cripps was fully fit but SPP put a fair bit of work into him at centre ball ups. Unheralded stuff that doesn't go unnoticed.
:)

More..

We got the 4 points

Blow outs can occur any time. That's football...Live with it.
Otherwise don't preschedule Friday night games...Keep it open for the match of the round on any given week.

How good was Impey's shepherd.

This was brilliant. He also did a similar block in the 1st quarter to get Robbie Gray a clean mark inside 50 on the lead. It's these types of selfless acts that are responsible for the goals as much as the kick itself.

but what to do they expect? a fixture is fixed. Fixed in October. When Carlton looked to be on the up and up and us nowhere.

Fake news.

And I have smiled a couple of times in recent weeks when one of them has been in a bit of push and shove the first one in has been a sanfl team mate. Oh and SPP who just wants to fight ******* everybody :D

There was a moment last week where SPP was getting up off the ground after being tackled and then just suddenly whacked the first GWS player to run past him for absolutely no reason. Wasn't even one of the guys who'd just tackled him. Did lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GTFOH here with complaints about this fixture. We've had to put up with absolutely rubbish football from 'big 4' teams for years in the marquee timeslots, in particular, but not limited to, perennial disappointments Carlton and Richmond. Friday night footy has been a joke for going on a decade, but now it's a problem when we're involved?

Cheers Ken.
Nope born in 1948 so older than ken.
My grandmother took me to watch the eagles at thebarton oval regularly, by way of atrain, bus trip. So watched lindsay head, freddy bills etc etc? Chose to be a port adelaide magpies supporter. So have a cognitive port adelaide history.
I find your snide comment offensive, and question your integrity as a port supporter.

Like to give a brief insight of your port background?

I'm comfortable with Dixon only kicking a couple of goals a game if it means we're sharing the load around and everyone's getting involved. Don't wanna be one of those clubs that relies on one forward.

Only paid 23 in total last night but there were at least 10 more than should have been paid. I also noticed one where a mark went to ground and the Port player picked it up and sped off for goal only for the boundary umpire to call it back when it was a good balls' width inside the boundary line.
An interesting stat this year would be "free kicks that haven't been paid to Robbie Gray". I'm sure it'd be a startling figure.

Are we still copping it over attendance?

43k is still well above the league average of 36k this season, even the Freo game was one of the highest attended games so far this year

Meanwhile Melbourne teams, even the top teams, struggle to get above 40k regularly

Crows supporters are aware there are 16 other teams in the league, right?

Most noticeable for me last night were our bigger bodies, hard tackling (gee we really tackled brilliantly for most of the night) and our quick hands around stoppages and in general play. I thought these were the major differences between the two teams.
Still like to see another taller forward in there to take some heat of Charlie, but our forward defensive pressure is up there with the best of them atm.
Those saying Sam Gray is no AFL standard, should be dropped, too short - you need your heads read. He is one of our most improved players over the past 3 years easily. He has a massive engine and executes well.
Houstons first quarter was a bit shakey but improved from there, thought Broady, Polec, Darcy and Wines were great, Robbie Gray was terrific, just a couple of lazy set shots for goal let down what would have been a perfect performance

I'm comfortable with Dixon only kicking a couple of goals a game if it means we're sharing the load around and everyone's getting involved. Don't wanna be one of those clubs that relies on one forward.

If he can't get the goals then assist in getting them.
That's all I can ask from him and he is doing that so value for money IMO.

GTFOH here with complaints about this fixture. We've had to put up with absolutely rubbish football from 'big 4' teams for years in the marquee timeslots, in particular, but not limited to, perennial disappointments Carlton and Richmond. Friday night footy has been a joke for going on a decade, but now it's a problem when we're involved?
Yep - IIRC from 2015, there were only 4 weekends for the ENTIRE minor round, where the Friday night "blockbuster" didn't feature Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond. There were some diabolical games in that lot. So why is it only a problem after Port has a big win???

Lots of varying opinion on the skipper, but when he gets the ball I get nervous, more often than not he will fumble, fall over or turn it over - he owes Clurey a beer for setting him up also. A player with his experience should be better, think he deserves a share of the criticism heaped upon Hartlett - both under achievers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I had a good look at him last night. Wants to hospital handball soon as he gets it. Fumbles a lot and cant kick over a jam tin. Trys so hard and you can see hes heart is full on for the club. Its a hard call with Boak,he gives his all but his decision making and skill level is shocking. He make a great PR man for the club.

If he can't get the goals then assist in getting them.
That's all I can ask from him and he is doing that so value for money IMO.
Now that he's got his marking under control I am very happy with Dixon's contribution to the side. With a different forward structure, he would be kicking 70+ goals a season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back