Review Round 5 vs Collingwood - 46 point victory (93,373) [In depth post match analysis]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hibberd and Dempsey. Wow.

Where do we start? It was awesome..

Our key backs really stood up well today, Carlisle again stood up deffensively, limiting the dangerous Cloke to 2.3. It wasnt even the goals he scored, but more so where he was being forced to lead, out far and wide. A by product of the zone implored by our mids.

Cale Hooker wasnt too bad I thought. Did an ok job on Cloke for the few minutes he was forced to play on the burly Pie. A dozen disposals for him and its not a bad day out for Cale.

Michael Hibberd exemplifies everything that Anzac Day is about. Fought for what he wants and despite setbacks is able to force a solution and possibly a long and succesful career. Love the fact that despite his deffensive capabilities, he is learning to get forward to help propel forward thrusts from behind the ball. That pass to Gumbleton was something straight from a textbook.

Baguley was ok. first week back in after a week off and was set a big task against some decent small forwards (anyone of Ben Sinclair, Jamie Elliot, Jarryd Blair, Sam Dwyer). Despite that, only 3 goals were scored from these smalls (Blair 2, Elliot 1) so points for Baguley one would imagine.

Courtenay Dempsey has simply come from no where. Some are suggesting Carlisle for a key deffensive post in the All Australian team (if named right now). If that is the case, lock this boy Dempsey in on a half back flank. His all round game has gone through the roof and despite his 18 possessions, it was his effectiveness and hurt that was simply more impressive.

Our midfield has improved from no where. The addition of Goddard, the rapid improvement of Zaharakis & Heppell and simply having one Jobe Watson at the forefront of this team allows Brent Stanton to get off the hook. It seemed like everytime Stanton was doing well, Goddard was quiet, but when Goddard got off the hook Stanton was being curtailed, Heppell ditto Zaka etc. With side shows of Howlett, Myers cameo and the rebirth of Hocking as a tagger, this group now has the ability to match it with the best.

Going forward of centre was an issue early though. Gee whiz did we miss Hurley for the first quarter and a half? Bombing it long, sitting them on Davey's head! Now I know what it feels like to be a Carlton supporter when the Blues mids constantly sit it on Betts' head. Gumbleton was good once he got going, and I cannot wait for him and Hurley to be playing in the same side together again. Crameri was probably what kept us in it in the first half (with Collingwoods innacuracy probably helping to :D), his ability to keep presenting and brong the ball to ground really impressed me.

Loved Merret's game again. Despite not having a heap of the ball, his tackling and forward pressure was good whilst his nous around goal to finish with 2 also a highlight and will again prove why the Jetta non selection is proving to be a master stroke.

Tom Bellchambers, loved, loved, loved, lovedddd his game today. Did it all. Kicked goals, worked hard around the ground and his tapwork to our mids was a real masterclass today. 32 (credited) hitouts today, how many to advantage? 3 goals from a ruckman? awesome! He is growing by the day and the questions about Ryder/Bellchambers being able to play in the same side should see on todays game how innefective Hille was both up forward, and in the ruck.

For us to win by 46 points in the end was a bit of a blow out. The Pies outpointed us for much of the first half, whilst there late rally in the third really got me anxious as to which way the result was going to go. I have never been so proud of my boys today. In the face of adversary, the direction of defeat towards us, we showed grit and determintion fitting for a team on the rise. Hopefully other teams will begin to take notice of what is happening on the field and allow the off field indiscretions to keep there course with any findings or undoings come out in due time.

Well done bombers, was a dominant performance from a club under siege. Looked very clean, composed and confident in close quarters and pressure situations, we simply didn't have any answers today.

Good luck for the rest of the year & with the witch hunt. Also hope Colyer pulled up Ok, he is going places the kid.

Do u mean Carlisle?

Colyer. Why was he picked and why wasn't he sub?

Love to see the Melksham and Myers hate club try and justify Colyer getting a game over either of those two?

That's a bit rich given you're basically running the Colyer hate club.

Yes. But Colyer is demonstrably crap.

Rubbish.

It isn't objective fact when you think it's true and an unjustified opinion when you don't. You're not the arbiter of all that is "demonstrably" good and bad.

Yes. But Colyer is demonstrably crap.

If hating players who don't perform and make the side worse is wrong I don't want to be right.
How the hell can you find a second to be negative today...FFS man talk about glass half full...your running at about a quarter full..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done bombers, was a dominant performance from a club under siege. Looked very clean, composed and confident in close quarters and pressure situations, we simply didn't have any answers today.

Good luck for the rest of the year & with the witch hunt. Also hope Colyer pulled up Ok, he is going places the kid.
Could Collingwood supporters please NOT come onto our board and be so gracious and reasonable. How the hell can I continue to hate you all when you're so damn likeable! :mad:

Seriously, we'll done mate. Good luck to your lot going forward :thumbsu:

What a day, had a Collingwood supporter behind me who was bagging Jobe all day, then when he kicked that goal, the look on his face was of "yep I just got owned" and headed for the exits. Good all round by everyone, but a key was the hitouts 50-21 was a huge win as it gave us first use of the ball most of the time.

Colyer. Why was he picked and why wasn't he sub?

Love to see the Melksham and Myers hate club try and justify Colyer getting a game over either of those two?

I'm all for you with Melksham and Myers getting a game over Colyer, but the little I did see of Colyer he was putting in the defensive effort (smother on Swan comes to mind), his DE was comparable to Goddard's/Zaha's. Still wouldn't have played him but considering it was Colyer he put in a good effort today.

There are the impressive Hibberd and Dempsey on the half-back flanks, but i would also give a lot of credit to Bags. He sticks to his opponents like glue and has a solid frame in a one on one. I reckon these 3 have these positions as their own now.

I'm all for you with Melksham and Myers getting a game over Colyer, but the little I did see of Colyer he was putting in the defensive effort (smother on Swan comes to mind), his DE was comparable to Goddard's/Zaha's. Still wouldn't have played him but considering it was Colyer he put in a good effort today.

He had five touches and the bit mentioned aside did nothing.

Yep, had a couple of Collingwood morons who scored some seats in our membership area somehow. You'd think they'd keep a lid on it, whether they were winning or losing yeah? (That's how I'd go about it if I was in opposition territory). Well NO, they were getting very confident and loud when they had a bit of a run on (amongst a few thousand silent Dons supporters, looking around trying to fish for someone to have a go at them). Playing with fire. As soon as we started to kick on we just tuned and waved them goodbye, morons.

There are the impressive Hibberd and Dempsey on the half-back flanks, but i would also give a lot of credit to Bags. He sticks to his opponents like glue and has a solid frame in a one on one. I reckon these 3 have these positions as their own now.

If I recall correctly, yaco55 has mentioned a couple of times that Hibberd could produce a surprise All Australian nomination or two, "has all the attributes" as Yaco would say :D

But in all seriousness, our starting 22 is really gelling, we lost a little bit of cohesion today within the back 6 with Fletcher out, but Hardingham was ok (edit: didnt do anythng to stupid to see him hung out to dry on BF). The core group of 28 - 30 players at Essendon are really becoming a well drilled oil.

After much deliberation and thought into my initial response to our victory, I have come up with an elaborate, refined statement.

F*CK YEAH F*CKING ESSENDON!!!! 5-0 MOTHERF******************nipples

Remove this Banner Ad

Back