Review Round 5 vs Collingwood - 46 point victory (93,373) [In depth post match analysis]

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the usual suspects were in our best players, but how good was Winderlich? Almost every touch turned to gold, with many of those leading to scoring chains. This year has been a fantastic ride so far!

I said this in another thread but with Kommer due back this week and Winderlich playing well today, perhaps Davey may miss out next week? However, Winders and Kommer both play that small marking man with Davey the crumber (fumbler) at ground level, perhaps Kommer misses next week?

Where do we start? It was awesome..

Our key backs really stood up well today, Carlisle again stood up deffensively, limiting the dangerous Cloke to 2.3. It wasnt even the goals he scored, but more so where he was being forced to lead, out far and wide. A by product of the zone implored by our mids.

Actually, I thought that Cloke's poor kicking flattered Carlisle a little bit. I mean, Cloke is a full forward, and some of his kicks were amateurish. He beat Carlisle more often than I had hoped, and before the game I thought this would have been pivotal. Instead, Cloke's poor kicking killed Collingwood's momentum. I just hope that Carlisle's ankle is OK!!

Some of our turnovers resulted in Collingwood goals, and that is something that Jimmy will iron out, no doubt. Our guys performed as a close knit team on many occasions to get themselves either out of trouble, or away into attack - a sign that this team is bloody great. Fitness also seemed to be an issue in this game as our guys ran the game out while the Maggies looked very tired towards the end.

And when I got home and was watching the news, they showed Eddie's look of exasperation: Priceless :)

I said this in another thread but with Kommer due back this week and Winderlich playing well today, perhaps Davey may miss out next week? However, Winders and Kommer both play that small marking man with Davey the crumber (fumbler) at ground level, perhaps Kommer misses next week?
Kommer was always going to struggle to make the team with Winders fit and in form. He could come in for Merrett, who may be rotated all year.

Kommer was always going to struggle to make the team with Winders fit and in form. He could come in for Merrett, who may be rotated all year.

The TRB has shown there hand by rotating Merret/Kavanagh in the same spot (small forward/flanker). Would be a backward step by ommitting Merret for Kommer who (on out put) is virtually the same.

Actually, I thought that Cloke's poor kicking flattered Carlisle a little bit. I mean, Cloke is a full forward, and some of his kicks were amateurish. He beat Carlisle more often than I had hoped, and before the game I thought this would have been pivotal. Instead, Cloke's poor kicking killed Collingwood's momentum. I just hope that Carlisle's ankle is OK!!
Some of our turnovers resulted in Collingwood goals, and that is something that Jimmy will iron out, no doubt. Our guys performed as a close knit team on many occasions to get themselves either out of trouble, or away into attack - a sign that this team is bloody great. Fitness also seemed to be an issue in this game as our guys ran the game out while the Maggies looked very tired towards the end.

And when I got home and was watching the news, they showed Eddie's look of exasperation: Priceless :)

I completely agree with what your saying Valve Bounce, (I did mention Cloke's kicking), however, it was Carlisle's positioning and direction Cloke was being forced to lead into that was impressive. How many shots from 20 degrees from in front did Cloke have (distance doesn't matter here)? none! All his gets were around the 45 degree mark, if not wider. A credit to the other backs and the midfielders for pushing Cloke wide. The momentum killer was the big thing for mine. I had thought that during the first half, and again when the Pies got a run of goals in that third term, how would we respond? We repelled and came back stronger again.

I will agree with everyone saying how scrappy the game was, really played into our hands when the going got tough, our tough got going and something we have been looking forward to seeing for a long time.

Today's was an excellent performance that cannot be taken away from us. Our exclusions were every bit as significant as Collingwood's were and, a few nervous periods in the first three quarters aside, I felt like we controlled the best part of the game while it was in dispute.

Much of the day speaks for itself. * it was good to see Zaharakis play the best game of his career on the second (maybe third) biggest stage of all. If the graduation into the "elite" or "A grade" can ever be narrowed down to one game that was it.

The most pleasing thing was turning the table on the Pies and putting in place a zone and pressuring them to the extent that they could not get the ball out of our half of the ground for lengthy periods of play. Pies fans now have some idea of what it has been like for us these last few years.

Other things I want to mention:

Carlisle and Hooker were both excellent. Having two key defenders who are that good in the air sets us apart from basically every other team. I was not concerned when Hooker was called on to replace Carlisle because it is crystal clear that he is more than just a functional defender in a well performing side. He reads the play very well and is excellent contested mark and good spoiler. His attack on the ball at ground level is also a really good. Hooker is hardly a feature of anyone's preferred 22s, and while he do not have the game dominating class of Carlisle, his ability to continually defeat the opposition's second best key forward and zone off to provide support to Carlisle is invaluable to the side.

Another really pleasing part of the day was confirmation of a trend that has developed in the last year or so and it is that Stanton and Dempsey are now two of the best one on one players in our side. Whereas in the past they were not particularly reliable I'm now confident every time they are involved in the play.

I am in love with Goddard. He seems to taken on the role of first half general. I only really notice him when we are under pressure. His class, performances and leadership are worth every single cent we are paying for him.

It follows that we can now be comfortable that our midfield is good enough. Watson and Goddard are the undisputed guns. Today also tends to confirm that Zaharakis and Stanton have grown into the grade. The next line of midfielders lead by Howlett, Myers, Heppell and Hocking is the start of some serious depth.

Merrett is a little gun and reminds me very much of Zaharakis. He is very smart around goal, uses the ball very well, never panics and runs hard.

There were some negatives which I suppose aren't that important but need to be mentioned.

The selection of Colyer was surprising. While he used the ball quite well he hardly seemed to be out there. It makes me more certain that Melksham's omission was fitness related.

I can forgive the use of Myers as a sub as I can see us wanting to have his inside strength and long kicking as a fall back (I also assume that he struggled a little to get up for the match because he would not have been relegated to sub as a result of his performances).

I find the obsession with Heppel's games this year increasingly annoying. He generally plays one gear too low for the pace of AFL and, at a glance, seems to make more errors than Melksham who gets crucified for every misstep. There is not doubt that he is going to be a star but he needs to get a whole lot more damaging with the ball in hand before he can be considered one.

Didn't like Myers as Sub. Only reason I can think of is that he can play down back as well as Mid or Half forward so offers good flexibility.

Agree is was a little scrappy but we look fantastic when get on a role. To win games with Ryder and Hurley and Fletch out shows how far we have come as a team.

Great win.

The most pleasing thing was turning the table on the Pies and putting in place a zone and pressuring them to the extent that they could not get the ball out of our half of the ground for lengthy periods of play. Pies fans now have some idea of what it has been like for us these last few years.

It was good to finally see the Pies being forced to man up on someone rather than allowing players like Heath Shaw and Harry O'Brien the luxury to roam free at there own will. Wonder if Jordan Rusell ever plays another game for the Collingwood Football Club.!

I am in love with Goddard. He seems to taken on the role of first half general. I only really notice him when we are under pressure. His class, performances and leadership are worth every single cent we are paying for him.

I completely agree. He may not be in the top 5 players in the comp like St.Kilda fans want him to be (circa 2009), but he is in our top 5 players and as such, I am so glad he is in our trenches now.

Merrett is a little gun and reminds me very much of Zaharakis. He is very smart around goal, uses the ball very well, never panics and runs hard.

I am enjoying the Geelong Falcons product development this year. Although a little skeptical early on his selection, he has been very prominent setting up goals and pressuring, tackling and generally being a nuisance to the opposition.

The selection of Colyer was surprising. While he used the ball quite well he hardly seemed to be out there. It makes me more certain that Melksham's omission was fitness related.

Why is it bemusing? you answered your own question BrunoV. We didnt really have any other truly impact runners fit, firing, and with some form behind them to come in and play Anzac day.

I find the obsession with Heppel's games this year increasingly annoying. He generally plays one gear too low for the pace of AFL and, at a glance, seems to make more errors than Melksham who gets crucified for every misstep. There is not doubt that he is going to be a star but he needs to get a whole lot more damaging with the ball in hand before he can be considered one.

I completely agree, he seems to have this free wheeling attitude now. As good as he is, and will be an out and out star, he is simply not as damaging as he should be (or for what people make him out to be). FWIW I didnt include Heppel in my tvotes despite 25 disposals and 6 tackles.

Colyer should be a certain out. The ins and outs for me would be:

Out: Colyer, Hardingham, Merrett

In: Kommer, Melksham, Hurley

That would be my decisions. Merrett really stiff, liked his game a lot but this is how I would prefer the team to look. If Hurley isn't right then Merrett keeps his place. I know a lot will disagree but that is my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah ! The diversity of opinions about players.

Heppell was awful against Fremantle, Lots of possessions but little impact against StKilda, but I thought he was excellent today.

Why are posters concerned that Collingwood got repeat forward 50 entries - We did exactly the same - It was like this for the first three quarters.

Colyer should be a certain out. The ins and outs for me would be:

Out: Colyer, Hardingham,Merrett

In: Kommer, Melksham, Hurley

I believe merrett is safe for another week, melksham just needs to be left out of the side for a couple of weeks. He's had his go and has had some shockers, someone deserving needs a ago.

I believe merrett is safe for another week, melksham just needs to be left out of the side for a couple of weeks. He's had his go and has had some shockers, someone deserving needs a ago.

Yeah agreed, I think we may see a couple of players rested against GWS. Kommer is best 22 for me so far. Extremely impressed by him and his one-touch ability.

Why are posters concerned that Collingwood got repeat forward 50 entries - We did exactly the same - It was like this for the first three quarters.

I agree. It is nearly impossible to stop a team like Collingwood dominating patches of play through a match. What is important is that you defend well during those patches and I thought we did brilliantly during those times. One thing that I have been impressed with so far this season is our defense and their ability to hold up under extreme pressure. Against Adelaide in the first round, for the first 15 minutes the ball was constantly coming back into Adelaide's F50. They only scored 3 goals during this period of dominance, which is a decent result for us. Happened again today in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter.

So many positives today and I am just going to sit back and enjoy the last 10 minutes of the replay.

It was a very scrappy game last year as well. ANZAC Day off a short break is a game where you just need to get a very hard fought 4 points. There's no prizes for style on that day, it's just about gutsing it out and getting a win. Which is probably fitting for the occasion really.

I don't particularly like analysing this game because it's not a normal set of circumstances.

Fair point, but I also think that it's the most "finals-like" H&A game as well... so I think that analysing how we perform in this type of game isn't completely pointless or irrelevant.

But that said, to win by 46 points - even when we were completely dominated in patches - is still nice though. :)

Zaka was only selfish at the end when the game was won.

Zaka's always selfish. Too often.

I still get laughs at him yelling at Reimers for not passing it to him after Reimers had kicked a beautiful running goal from 45m a couple of years ago...

... and then Zaka doing exactly the same thing 5 minutes later when he had players open...

... and missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back