Autopsy Round 5 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

That's true but more concerning is our inability to defend early in games. Sick of teams getting 3-4 goals up before we kick into gear.
It’s the same s**t though. We are down with Ryder out, for clean centre clearances, but we are worse defending through the centre from opposition kick in’s. The Brisbane game was the low-point, with 4 or 5 of their first half a dozen goals resulting from our points fairly quickly going down the other end for goals, but it’s happening every week way too much. Take 2 goals off our opponents every week and put on our total instead and we are 4-1 (maybe 5-0 as we would have been ahead at 3 quarter time and not giving up versus the Cats). It’s not our only problem by any means, but our laughable inaccuracy in front of goal is killing us. Another reason I’m not ever going to be a fan of Sam ‘I fall over a lot when not playing Brisbane’ Gray.

That was unforgiveable. Could have been a completely different game if he kicks that. I could tell he was going to miss it though. Never once did he run direct at his target...
Boak did the exact same thing against Brisbane, not sure if it was last year or the season before. I remember telling my lad how annoyed i was, he is our captain and it was an easy goal no excuses.

It seems to me that PAFC approach games against teams like Geelong with a defeatist attitude from the beginning. We set up hoping to restrict them from scoring instead of setting up with let them stop us game plan. We have two proven good mark/goal kickers in Watts and Dixon we have a good spread of mid fielders, and attacking players who can run, so why do Watts Dixon continually end up on the half back line /centre wing and leave the smalls to try and out mark Geelong in the backline. How easy is it for Geelong to park themselves across halfback and cut off the incoming floating up and under kicks directed to small forwards. This structure put huge pressure on everyone and by the last quarter with all the up and back up and back running the players are stuffed especially when they are also getting bashed around in the packs and see nothing for their effort..
We should be going into games with the attitude of our game plan is to run, attack, and deliver to our Tall forwards and if it comes to ground the likes of Wingard, Robbie and Sam Gray etc will crumb and score, at the moment the likes of Wingard is not producing much because they are having to do the job the Dixon and Watts were drafted for. Its dumb coaching and dumb footy.

Nailed it in your first sentence.

There are no easy goals for us. Everything looks like hard work. We seem to require moments of individual brilliance to kick a score against good teams.

We got away with it when Schulz and Wingard were in form. Unfortunately Ken needs to realise that very few players are going to be kicking with a 75% accuracy

Sent from mTalk

If Boak kicks a goal instead of a point, it would have been fine.
If we had played on quicker we would have been fine.

If we had a better gameplan we would have been fine.

If we had made better selections we would have been fine.

If we had adapted our gameplan when we were getting beaten we would have been fine.

If our coach could actually make tactical changes withing a game then we would have been fine.

If we acknowledged our mistakes in the last 4 years and did something about them then we would have been fine.

If we didn't leave a hobbit as our only forward option and wonder why he was getting outmarked we would have been fine.

If we didn't dick with our structures and with what we have been training for all friggen pre-season then we would have been fine.

If we had of won then we would have been fine...

WTAF? Give it up. I am saying this from a place of kindness. Stop taking the s**t that you are inhaling because it is f***ing up your perspective. Dry out and just observe with an open mind. Put the Koolaid down and stop.

Thought I would put all the MRO charges from game with the proper rulings rather than afl.com.au summary of them

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-23/match-review-full-statement-weekend-round-five
Charges Laid:
Patrick Dangerfield, Geelong Cats, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Justin Westhoff, Port Adelaide, during the first quarter of the Round Five match between the Geelong Cats and Port Adelaide, played at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 21, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Port Adelaide Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction. The player can accept a $2000 sanction without appearing before the Tribunal.

Lindsay Thomas, Port Adelaide, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Scott Selwood, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the Round Five match between Port Adelaide and the Geelong Cats, played at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 21, 2018.

In summary, he has been referred directly to the Tribunal and cannot accept an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Geelong Cats’ Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with severe impact to the head. The incident was classified as a direct referral to the Tribunal and the player cannot be offered an early plea.

Joel Selwood, Geelong Cats, has been charged with striking Lindsay Thomas, Port Adelaide, during the second quarter of the Round Five match between the Geelong Cats and Port Adelaide, played at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 21, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Port Adelaide Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a one-game penalty with an early plea.

Lindsay Thomas, Port Adelaide, has been charged with striking Joel Selwood, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the Round Five match between Port Adelaide and the Geelong Cats, played at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 21, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Geelong Cats Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a one-game penalty with an early plea.

Joel Selwood, Geelong Cats, has been charged with attempting to trip Chad Wingard, Port Adelaide, during the fourth quarter of the Round Five match between the Geelong Cats and Port Adelaide, played at Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 21, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Attempting to trip is a fixed financial sanction of $1500. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-23/match-review-full-statement-weekend-round-five

Last edited:
If we had played on quicker we would have been fine.

If we had a better gameplan we would have been fine.

If we had made better selections we would have been fine.

If we had adapted our gameplan when we were getting beaten we would have been fine.

If our coach could actually make tactical changes withing a game then we would have been fine.

If we acknowledged our mistakes in the last 4 years and did something about them then we would have been fine.

If we didn't leave a hobbit as our only forward option and wonder why he was getting outmarked we would have been fine.

If we didn't dick with our structures and with what we have been training for all friggen pre-season then we would have been fine.

If we had of won then we would have been fine...

WTAF? Give it up. I am saying this from a place of kindness. Stop taking the s**t that you are inhaling because it is f***ing up your perspective. Dry out and just observe with an open mind. Put the Koolaid down and stop.

Feel better? :)

Feel better? :)
No I will feel better when we make some changes. I just think that we are watching the car crash in slow motion but no one seems willing to try anything to stop it.

I don't think anyone would mind if we tried to tweak some things even if they didn't work. I am not expecting this will be easily fixed but we are not looking good at the moment and we are being told to be patient when we have been patient for several years now.

I think Ken holds the key and he could turn it around. He has done great things in the past with less talent. But whatever plan, structures and advice he is following at the moment he needs to acknowledge it is not working. If he can't do that then maybe he has lost this entire group and it is easier to get rid of one coach than a squad of 40.

Am I crazy or did R Gray not get immediately rubbed out for tripping, may have been a couple of years back. When it happened the commentary seemed to be suggesting it was a mandatory one week ban.

Yet we've been tripped twice this season with no suspension/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I will feel better when we make some changes. I just think that we are watching the car crash in slow motion but no one seems willing to try anything to stop it.

I don't think anyone would mind if we tried to tweak some things even if they didn't work. I am not expecting this will be easily fixed but we are not looking good at the moment and we are being told to be patient when we have been patient for several years now.

I think Ken holds the key and he could turn it around. He has done great things in the past with less talent. But whatever plan, structures and advice he is following at the moment he needs to acknowledge it is not working. If he can't do that then maybe he has lost this entire group and it is easier to get rid of one coach than a squad of 40.

Maybe wait until our main offensive catalyst in Ryder comes back in the side before you decide whether or not it works or not, since all our clearance work is based around his taps. You are most likely seeing the defensive half of the system and not the offensive half because of that (and you'd only see the defensive half if we played Frampton because his ruckwork isn't as good as Ryder's).

We are basically playing the boring half of our system. I think it will be fixed as soon as we get Paddy back and in form.

See i disagree. Our issues are deeper than one player. We are not nor ever should be reliant on one player being the answer.

Also we should always have a contingency plan for players who are not available. Failing to have adequate ready to go replacements is as irresponsible as travelling to a game without emergencies. We are just being irresponsible and stubborn in so many ways. It is not like we haven't been in this exact same position before. What did we learn from it?

When we make mistakes we should admit it, learn from it and not repeat it. It sounds so simple doesn't it.

“We picked the side we needed to tonight, we should have won the game if we had of polished the game better than we did. It wasn’t because we didn’t have one player, that will never be the case.”

See i disagree. Our issues are deeper than one player. We are not nor ever should be reliant on one player being the answer.

Also we should always have a contingency plan for players who are not available. Failing to have adequate ready to go replacements is as irresponsible as travelling to a game without emergencies. We are just being irresponsible and stubborn in so many ways. It is not like we haven't been in this exact same position before. What did we learn from it?

When we make mistakes we should admit it, learn from it and not repeat it. It sounds so simple doesn't it.

Our contingency plan sees us 3-2, with the two losses coming against Essendon (potential top eight team) and Geelong (potential top four team).

This is what Melbourne did when they lost Gawn for 10 weeks last year:

vs Fremantle - lost
vs Richmond - lost
vs Essendon - won
vs Hawthorn - lost
vs Adelaide - won
vs North Melbourne - lost
vs Gold Coast - won
bye
vs Collingwood - won
vs Western Bulldogs - won

5 wins, 4 losses. It's never about one player, but having your best players makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Up front I admit I have my doubts about AFL ratings. I want to read their algorithm and see how it calculates points on screen before I fully back it,but the following ratings are damning on some big name players from Saturday nights effort.

DbTtDHjVwAA609i.jpg

Up front I admit I have my doubts about AFL ratings. I want to read their algorithm and see how it calculates points on screen before I fully back it,but the following ratings are damning on some big name players from Saturday nights effort.

DbTtDHjVwAA609i.jpg
"his performance is measured using a system called Equity Ratings. The system determines where and how a player influences a contest and whether the player's effort then results in a positive result for his team. Equity Ratings includes what coaches love to describe as "pressure acts". As a result, players are rewarded for interrupting opposition passages of play as well as setting up scores for their own team.

Players who consistently produce positive contributions are rewarded more highly than players with a high volume of stats. As an example, a 20-disposal game by Cyril Rioli, where 17 disposals are positive and only one is negative, can have the same impact as a 40-disposal game by Dane Swan, where 25 are positive and nine are negative.

Can players lose points during games?
Yes. Players can receive a negative score in a number of ways, including when they give away free kicks and also when they turn the ball over. A turnover that results in an opposition score results in the largest negative score."

"his performance is measured using a system called Equity Ratings. The system determines where and how a player influences a contest and whether the player's effort then results in a positive result for his team. Equity Ratings includes what coaches love to describe as "pressure acts". As a result, players are rewarded for interrupting opposition passages of play as well as setting up scores for their own team.

Players who consistently produce positive contributions are rewarded more highly than players with a high volume of stats. As an example, a 20-disposal game by Cyril Rioli, where 17 disposals are positive and only one is negative, can have the same impact as a 40-disposal game by Dane Swan, where 25 are positive and nine are negative.

Can players lose points during games?
Yes. Players can receive a negative score in a number of ways, including when they give away free kicks and also when they turn the ball over. A turnover that results in an opposition score results in the largest negative score."
That is nice but its all meaningless because it doesnt give you weight's via the algorithm and when people do critical bits of play in the big moments how heavily they way that action. You have to trust they get it right but I have seen things with my own eyes that say I have doubts about their weightings.

Last edited:
That niece but its all meaningless because it doesnt give you weight's via the algorithm and when people do critical bits of play in the big moments how heavily they way that action. You have to trust they get it right but I have seen things with my own eyes that say I have doubts about their weightings.

imo it’s the best system available to the average punter.

DbTtDHjVwAA609i.jpg
Joel Selwood 23rd best player on the ground, Scott Selwood with 6 touches from 30% game time not too far behind him.

Joel Selwood 23rd best player on the ground, Scott Selwood with 6 touches from 30% game time not too far behind him.
Definitely too low, but he wasn't BOG, even if Badcoe medal awards more than being BOG, the blokes that vote basically do BOG votes and ignore other criteria.

imo it’s the best system available to the average punter.
which doesn't say much, if they can't, or won't explain it, and wont do a video showing how the points gets racked up over a quarter or whole game. if they show that they know punters will find holes. bit like the AFL not showing an integrity office report.

That niece but its all meaningless because it doesnt give you weight's via the algorithm and when people do critical bits of play in the big moments how heavily they way that action. You have to trust they get it right but I have seen things with my own eyes that say I have doubts about their weightings.
I saw someone ask that question in regards to it a few years ago to their twitter (you can always ask to see if it's changed) but they don't apply 'importance' weighting and that each score is judged equally no matter which point of the game it occurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back