Review Round 5 2020 vs Hawthorn @ Giants Stadium

1593911694710.png

Highly rated GWS Giants grabbed a much-needed win over a fellow title contender in round 4. After coming out of the AFL’s hiatus with losses to the Kangaroos by 20 points and Bulldogs by 24 points, the Giants improved to 2-2 with a Toby Greene–led two-point eclipse of the Magpies.

GWS was on the third line of premiership betting alongside Richmond as of this week – but fans and pundits will be expecting further improvement from this ultra-talented squad.

Hawthorn Hawks are still floating around the second tier of premiership hopefuls after crafting a 3–1 record to nab a share of second spot on the AFL ladder.

After thumping Richmond by 32 points – including a five-goals-to-none first quarter – the Hawks held on for a nervous four-point win over North Melbourne in round 4, almost bottling a 21-point three-quarter-time lead. Chad Wingard has been in fine touch, kicking three goals in both victories.

GWS has notched three wins and a draw in nine encounters with Hawthorn since joining the competition in 2012. But despite the Giants reaching the finals and the Hawks missing out in 2019, the Hawks racked up resounding wins in both the clubs’ regular-season encounters: by 33 points at the MCG in round 8 and 56 points in Canberra in round 21. GWS managed just nine goals combined in the two dismal defeats – including just one second-half goal. Meanwhile, Hawthorn’s James Sicily picked up two Brownlow votes in both games.

The Giants were warm favourites midweek, no doubt on reputation and potential more than form. The Hawks have real momentum and are capable of landing another big scalp to entrench themselves in the top four.

AFL footy tips: round 5

Head-to-head:
Hawthorn

Best bet: Line – Hawthorn +7.5

Really not confident. The Hawks had our measure last year as we couldn't just use our overall skill levels to blast them off the park as we had in previous years. I think we're down on even last year, so this might not be pretty.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey guys, Apologies for the intrusion. Just wanted to flag this live stream on during your game tonight.

106792003_952803475143075_6921868217267244157_n.jpg

Dyl Buckley, Xavier Ellis and Michael Barlow will be watching the game live tonight on twitch. It's like facebook live where you can interact with them during the game via chat. Good alternative to traditional commentary.

twitch.tv/lockdownclub

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Not confident, backline disruption has been significant, expecting a good contest

Not to worry. I've been chatting this arvo with my mate Captain Morgan. He reckons we're good for tonight.

It's funny, I always feel good after consulting with the Captain.

Not to worry. I've been chatting this arvo with my mate Captain Morgan. He reckons we're good for tonight.

It's funny, I always feel good after consulting with the Captain.
After a couple at the brewery and now seeing the conditions, should be an exciting game

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Ash was touted as being clean by foot. 3 kicks, 3 clangers. Despite that, I do like the look of him. I’d like to seen him persisted with.

Green is clean and smart I like him.

So good to see Corr back to his best, excellent quarter by him again.

Back